Homeless living on canal & riversides

Ray T

Featured Posts

Well, that's a coincidence. I taught Alex Leonard (the outreach worker in the film) when he was at prep school and had not heard of him since the 1980s until, at a school reunion recently, I met his Mum who told me of the type of work which he was doing nowadays, and lo! and behold, up he pops on telly. I am delighted that he's doing such a worthwhile caring job, but of course sad that it is a job which needs doing.

• Greenie 1

I'm not sure this is limited to the canals. There are lots of homeless people living in public spaces away from the canals, too.

this was my first thought too, plenty of people live under bridges (always have and probably always will), canals and rivers just happen to have a lot of bridges.

Seems that the only unique thing about this story is that the bbc have noticed that some of them are migrants. I wonder if the story has been put out now to try and discourage some of our friends in Calais from joining us

I'm not sure this is limited to the canals. There are lots of homeless people living in public spaces away from the canals, too.

Yep, after getting evicted from the flat next door to my old one, my old neighbour moved into the shed in the garden for about 6 months.

And conversely, although this footage concentrates on it, by no means all those living rough on or near London canals, (or indeed the canals of other major cities), will be immigrants.

It's hardly a new phenomenon, although I'm not for a moment challenging that it is undoubtedly increasingly common. I feel certain though that many of the policies being pursued by our current government will guarantee it is not just the immigrant component of those living rough that will be on the increase.

I fear they will be putting spikes under the "best" bridges and arches soon, to make sleeping there impossible.

• Greenie 1

They've had to put metal fences under the bridges on the Lee in Edmonton, strong, galvanised ones, as the chain link ones just got cut open. They've also cut down most of the woods near Wickes on the North circular (where the men go to get their labouring work), down to knee high stumps, as they were full of shanty towns/campsites. But they are camping somewhere else now. They won't go.

If the government really, truly wants these people to stop coming and camping here, then they ought to target the gangmasters that pay them £20-£50 a day for building work. Yet all I ever see is them nicking the workers. Most of them know each other, they are from the same town, they hear there is work here so they come, too.

They sleep rough because £20-£50 a day is barely enough to live on in rented accommodation . They come here to work in order to send most of that money earned back to their families and in order to do this, then a tent it is. I don't know whether I'm amused or just despair when I hear them called scroungers - would you sleep rough in a foreign country and work a hard job labouring just to be sure that your family would get everything they need? Seems pretty hardcore to me.

Corbyn will sort all this out, in due course.

You are completely obsessed

I see you have nothing to contribute to the thread.

I was in London this week and spoke to a homeless guy as I took him for breakfast. Really interesting he had spent 15 years in the Army including Iraq discharged from Army wife divorced him and he hit the bottle. Does not drink now but is just stuck in the benefits cycle where he is unable to get somewhere to live

You are right it has to fixed but where to start

Peter

As a big number are ex forces how about the government follow the USA example and actually look after those that leave the forces to help the readjust to civilian life

• Greenie 2

I was in London this week and spoke to a homeless guy as I took him for breakfast. Really interesting he had spent 15 years in the Army including Iraq discharged from Army wife divorced him and he hit the bottle. Does not drink now but is just stuck in the benefits cycle where he is unable to get somewhere to live

As a big number are ex forces how about the government follow the USA example and actually look after those that leave the forces to help the readjust to civilian life

Next time refer him/her to these people, they will step in

https://www.ssafa.org.uk/help-you/veterans/homelessness

To be more constructive then I'd suggest a good start might be to offer those without children the same rights as those who have have them. I.e. the right to acommodation, of a decent standard. It's unfair to descriminate against certain groups of people in this way, leaving them cold and hungry on the streets.

To be more constructive then I'd suggest a good start might be to offer those without children the same rights as those who have have them. I.e. the right to acommodation, of a decent standard. It's unfair to descriminate against certain groups of people in this way, leaving them cold and hungry on the streets.

Their are prioritys for some groups when it comes to re-housing, i was in temporary housing for 13 months and ended up working for stockport homes voluntary, they do really good work and try and keep people off the streets at night at every oportunity.

If you see someone sleeping rough in stockport its because they have either not presented as homeless or chose to stay out of the temporary housing or they have been violent towards staff.

Some areas are better than others, god knows what london is like.

The world is a lonely place when your homeless and it does not get any worse.

Edited by brassedoff

And conversely, although this footage concentrates on it, by no means all those living rough on or near London canals, (or indeed the canals of other major cities), will be immigrants.

It's hardly a new phenomenon, although I'm not for a moment challenging that it is undoubtedly increasingly common. I feel certain though that many of the policies being pursued by our current government will guarantee it is not just the immigrant component of those living rough that will be on the increase.

I fear they will be putting spikes under the "best" bridges and arches soon, to make sleeping there impossible.

Well said that man. Have a green thing.

Their are prioritys for some groups when it comes to re-housing, i was in temporary housing for 13 months and ended up working for stockport homes voluntary, they do really good work and try and keep people off the streets at night at every oportunity.

If you see someone sleeping rough in stockport its because they have either not presented as homeless or chose to stay out of the temporary housing or they have been violent towards staff.

Some areas are better than others, god knows what london is like.

The world is a lonely place when your homeless and it does not get any worse.

Good on Stockport. It's a pity that neighbouring Manchester don't seem to have the same policies. Rather, they hound a group of homeless people through the courts, forcing them to move from place to place. I mean, where are they supposed to go?

Good on Stockport. It's a pity that neighbouring Manchester don't seem to have the same policies. Rather, they hound a group of homeless people through the courts, forcing them to move from place to place. I mean, where are they supposed to go?

Theirs too many homeless in city centre, lack of funding and services i recon. its not right, but the flood gates are not helping either.

Stockport.