Bridgewater closed

pearley

Featured Posts

It's in the Bridgewaters stoppage list quite clearly.

CRT only have their own canals listed/detailed (even the mao had huge chunks of the network missing) hence have listed about as near as they can as the best the computer will allow....

Daniel

Well I have just spoken to Peel about this, using the number on http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/contact (0161 629 8200 between 2pm and 4pm Monday to Friday) and got put through to the woman who sits next to 'Katherine' who appears to be the person 'in the know' although sadly have little more to share on that.

- They have basically no information at all from Manchester City Council on the matter, and hence have really nothing to pass on, although are apparently getting a lot of calls. The best I got is that they have been promised at update at the end of next week (circa 27-28th Aug) which is frustrating if not their fault as such.

I then rang Manchester City Council Building Control Department on a number Google has for them (0161 234 4490) and got little more from there if I am honest.

- They state its 'in the hands of the demolition team' who despite acting under their instruction appear not to have given any indication of the expect duration of the works. There where not even prepared or able to give an estimation of when they might have a estimation of a completion date or when the canal might reopen, let alone anything else. They also had no comment on how it had got to this state without previous action.

- Pushing them really hard I was told the only thing I could do was sent in an email which would be sent on to more senior people within the team to answer. Sign.

Its now three weeks since the initial collapse (27th July) and the demolition team first moving on site (28th July) at which point I am simple staggered and or unable to believe nobody has any idea on how long its likely to take from now. Frustrating not to be able to move the boat as we had planned and boat where we had planned, that the ring is broken, but even more that the information on when it will be re-opened is so poor.

####

Further more, just rang back Manchester City Council Building Control with the questions as I was composing an email and got put through to a Mr Anthony Roberts, I suspect the person who would have got the email, and had a very informative talk.

- MCC BC where called by fire service to conduct assessment of the building, and then spoke to the Owners who where given the opportunity to instruct the demolition themselves, which they did, rather than it being MCC BC directly instruction the demolition. He was quite clear that Peel where not waiting for communication from MCC BC.

- MCC have spoke with Peel a number of times, and arranged that they speak directly to demolotion teams in terms of when the canal could be re-opened, including the possibility of the canal being re-opened for a window of time during the process to allow boats to pass while the front wall was not being worked on/near. I do not know if these parties talked.

- Anthony of MCC BC spoke with the demolition contractors himself yesterday, who verbally advised that the expected the canal to be re-opened 'by next weekend' (29-30th). Which is the only suggestion of an opening time I have had yet, but is quite encouraging. Certainly he was firmly of the belief it was was this point weeks not months even if plans slipped.

- The contractor is P. McGuinness who where apparently quite happy for MCC BC to give out their contact number. Which can also be found online.

- Apparently MCC BC have been called to this building in the past, but other then ensure it was 'secure' had limited power until it was deemed a risk. Anthony was not prepared to comment on the history or politics which lead up to the recent events, but was able to say that as far as he was aware there was nothing stopping the owner demolishing it prior to now if they had wanted to.

####

Right, I have not spoke to Tim and then Bob of McGuinness, who have confirmed that they expect to have the wall down to the green beam/bridge and hence safe by mid next, with wed-thurs next week (26/27th) being a realistic time for the canal to re-open. There then later be may be short periods of around half an hour where banksmen are placed to prevent canal/towpath access while the last of the front wall is taken down.

Apparently its been quite an interesting/complex demolition as in effect the lower older floors, of timber and cast iron construction appear hugely overloaded with the near steel and concrete above, and the cellar floor being unable to take the weight of the kit that had also needed to be filled with hardcore as they have gone along. Coupled with the fact that there are four parties to please (Owner, MCC BC, Peel, McGuinness). There also had to stop working Sundays due to local complains about the noise.

Although now working for the Owners, there where initially selected and instructed by MCC BC under a Section 78 notice

####

So there we are.

I was then going to ring Peel back, but as its now 16:03 they have all gone home it seems, certainly I am just getting a receptionist who 'put me through to Katherine' which just got me a 'ring back between 2pm and 4pm' phone message.

However it looks like come next weekend passage should be restored. Don't quote me on that!

Daniel

Edited by DHutch
Updated

Great update. While some grey areas exist, I'm sure everyone now understands much more about the situation. I'm willing to bet the number of people hoping next weekend is a realistic target is in their dozens

ETA - perhaps both CRT and MCC, after receiving all the enquiries they've had, will now have a better understanding how important the Bridgewater is to boaters. Local and visitors.

Edited by Cruising Mike

Thanks for the update Daniel.

Great update. While some grey areas exist, I'm sure everyone now understands much more about the situation. I'm willing to bet the number of people hoping next weekend is a realistic target is in their dozens

No worries and indeed so. I will be speaking to Peel tomorrow to relay the above information and gauge their reaction to it and to re-opening the canal, and from there, deciding our plans.

I hope we can go round the loop, all be it the other way than planned, repeating only the WatersMeeting-Middlewich section an extra two times. Else we will have no choice to go back down the Macc and Cheshire Locks, as we are booked into DryDock at Middlewich in around a months time.

Perhaps both CRT and MCC, after receiving all the enquiries they've had, will now have a better understanding how important the Bridgewater is to boaters. Local and visitors.

Small point of order, but as its not a CRT owned canal (the Bridgewater is owned and managed by Peel Holdings) they are about the only ones not overly involved.

I am sure CRT are very aware of the importance of the canal, as likely are Peel, however while I am sure Peel could have handled it better its not their fault as such that this has occurred, only that the information flow has been rather poor. The main responsibility lies with the building owners Excelsior Properties, who oddly, take there name from the building they have allowed to collapse!

Daniel

The engineer if the Bridgewater canal co.

Sounds good to me.

I just spoke with the woman at Peel again, they/she still claim they know nothing, and sadly it appears Katherine is off today so 'nothing will happen till Monday' which is a shame as I would have likely confirmation they where onboard with the epxected re-opening date.

However, given the above and what I have found out I think we are going to risk it and head onwards toward Manchester on the assumption it will re-open and we will be able to get over the top and back round to Middlewich for our drydock session.

Daniel

A report on the Bridgewater fb group suggests they are still aiming for on or by this weekend, if commiting to little.

I plan to ring Peel tomorrow and make call on if we boat this weekend or next. The boat is currently at Ashton Packet Boat on their moorings.

Daniel

In my view it definitely could be reopened if the will was there. I think the wall has been left to prevent the rest of the building ending up in the canal. What is left is around 30 metres from the canal so low risk of anything else rolling that far. The wall itself could be demolished in half an hour with the right wrecking ball.

Yes the photo was taken this afternoon. I saw a shareboat and a Cheshire cat hire boat heading for the stoppage. They are in for a surprise.

I got nothing from phone Bridgewater/Peel yesterday afternoon other then 'we hope to update the site tonight' , however it appears that as of today the canal has reopened.

######

Navigation Restriction and Towpath closure notice

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/stoppages/stoppage.aspx?ID=208

BETWEEN CORNBROOK BRIDGE & EGERTON STREET BRIDGE, HULME HALL,

MANCHESTER FROM MIDDAY (12PM) FRIDAY 28TH AUGUST 2015 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

Notice is hereby given that due to continuing demolition works adjacent

to the Bridgewater Canal in the vicinity of Hulme Hall Road the towpath

will remain closed until further notice.

THE CANAL WILL BE OPEN FOR NAVIGATION WITH RESTRICTED

CHANNEL WIDTH

To ensure safety, pontoons will be moored against the towpath in order

to restrict boaters towards the offside of the Canal.

Boaters are asked to pass slowly in the vicinity of the works, be vigilant

and obey local signs and instructions.

The Company apologises for any inconvenience caused as a result of

these necessary works.

The Bridgewater Canal Company

Peel Dome

The Trafford Centre

Manchester

M17 8PL

Email: bridgewatercanal@peel.co.uk

28th August 2015

Notice 22

#######

Not sure what the width is, but as it not stated, I assume it's able to take a 14ft boat.

Daniel