Bridgewater closed

pearley

Featured Posts

I am hoping to take our boat through on the 22/23rd so am hoping it three weeks not four to be honest, having already changed the years plans to do the ring the other way I would be a great shame to only get half the Macc before having to turn back and do the Cheshire flight again as its the Mac/Ashton/PeakForest I wanted to do.

Daniel

Can anyone with local knowledge tell me if boats can still access Salford Quays when travelling from Waters Meeting.

Steve

Well, I presume you can get up as far as the stoppage, which is between Cornbrook Bridge and Egerton Street Bridge, I understand that from the direction of Waters Meeting these bridges are the bridge directly after Pomona Lock and the bridge after that, which carries the A57.

At which point it slightly depends what you define as 'access' as in my understanding the Bridgewater never has accessed the Salford Quays directly, these being on the ship canal.

Daniel

Correct (well definitely correct when approaching from Waters Meeting). First indication of the stoppage is a large work boat moored under Cornbrook Road Bridge blocking the navigator for all but canoes.

Well, I presume you can get up as far as the stoppage, which is between Cornbrook Bridge and Egerton Street Bridge, I understand that from the direction of Waters Meeting these bridges are the bridge directly after Pomona Lock and the bridge after that, which carries the A57.

At which point it slightly depends what you define as 'access' as in my understanding the Bridgewater never has accessed the Salford Quays directly, these being on the ship canal.

Daniel

The section at the top of the photo collapsed without warning,

Well...

"The M.E.N. has learnt that residents and a management company from neighbouring building Albert Mill have raised safety concerns with owners Excelsior Properties several times, but never received a response."

But yes.

The original stoppage said the 4 September, passing on the shuttle bus (there are no trams through city centre Manchester at present, while they redo St Peter's Square stop), it looks as though they are progressing reasonably well. The area around it is all modern high rises, the nice conversions are neare Castlefield. Most buildings in the area were Grade 2 listed, unless they present a danger.

The Mill has been used by homeless for the last 20 years to my knowledge.

Hopefully, the Canal will open soon; certainly, the notices haven't got through to many. Droylesden Marina will be busy!

IM also interested in any updates as i hope to do the Cheshire Ring in 3 weeks

I've e-mailed the BCC and asked for an update on the demolition work, I'll let you know when they get back (if they do)

K

We were (are?) intending to cruise to Manchester (from Anderton) for the Bank Holiday weekend (and don't have time to go the (very) long way round...). Pie Eater - I see you intend to go to Salford Quays; I assume mooring there would require the usual expensive preliminaries from Peel Holdings (ie certificate of seaworthiness, etc) plus some short-term mooring arrangement?

Jmacg

As we are based on the Bridgewater Canal the only thing we have had to do is to provide our boat name and number to the Bridgewater Canal Company. There is no charge whatsoever for boats with a Bridgewater licence and a certificate of seaworthiness is not required.

It is however customary to give the lockkeepers at Pomona Lock some liquid refreshments.

Non Bridgewater boats have to pay to use Pomona Lock if they wish to go to Salford Quays. (£20+)

We will be dropping down the lock on Saturday morning with other members of Lymm Cruising Club so if you contacted the Bridgewater Canal Company you could go down at the same time.

Steve

Certainly not getting any updates on progress of demolition .Have they started ?are boats that are trapped in basin being allowed to stay beyond the 72 hours or have they to leave ? What is Sunny doing about this ?