Walkie Talkie the real use

WhiteSuit

Featured Posts

Going up the Buckby flight last weekend I discovered the real reason for these devices. Crew coming down were communicating with them to steal everyone's water. They got up the nose of the pair in front of us so we took our time, ensuring everything was done with a high safety margin. Lady stood by the lock side scowling intently and her partner was equally frowning as we cruised on. Pumps were going full bore to push the water up the hill and a lot of boat movements but some people just want to get there in a hurry.

Apologies I realise these things are as divisive as toilets.?

Yea OP. Walkie talkies used like that /people like that are a pain and I go with Dans post but the real use for squarkie talkies is to save the vocal cords of the fool who is entertainig a bunch of 'enthusiatic' mates 'helping' rolleyes.gif one through a lock.

Yours.

The Fool//Over//OVER!! OHY!

Going up the Buckby flight last weekend I discovered the real reason for these devices. Crew coming down were communicating with them to steal everyone's water. They got up the nose of the pair in front of us so we took our time, ensuring everything was done with a high safety margin. Lady stood by the lock side scowling intently and her partner was equally frowning as we cruised on. Pumps were going full bore to push the water up the hill and a lot of boat movements but some people just want to get there in a hurry.

Apologies I realise these things are as divisive as toilets.

If it bothers you get your own Walkie talkie and get on the same channel as them and confuse the hell out of them.
  • Greenie 2

We use them to save water! messages like ... "leave the locks gate open there's a boat coming the other way" .... or .... "don't set the lock yet there's a boat coming down that can use it first" ... or "I have just started filling this lock so you are OK to empty the lock above without spilling water over the overflow"

Just like cyclists, fishermen, and dare I say boaters, there are good walkie talkie users and bad walkie talkie users.

• Greenie 3

I use them (when we remember to pack/charge etc) because it's nice to be able to chat to my wife while one of us is off the boat and it keeps our young son amused during long and boring (to him) lock flights. I'm not sure how a walkie talke makes it easier to walk to the next lock and turn it, surely that would happen anyway with or without the radio?

In any event, grabbing locks and wasting water is definitely the mark of a small minded *(*(*£$ and the sort of person you'd want to cill themselves in their rush to save 30s of leisure time.

Edited by Morat

I'm not sure how a walkie talke makes it easier to walk to the next lock and turn it, surely that would happen anyway with or without the radio?

OK perhaps I was stretching the point a bit but there have been times when whoever is ahead setting the next lock has seen a boat coming the other way not visible from the lock we are in, or when you can't see the next lock from the previous one.

The other point I was trying to make is if you turn the next lock too soon (going uphill) or too late (going downhill) you can loose a lot of water over the overflow from the pound between them. But I do accept you can usually see one from the other!

I made a newbee move and bought some already, not really for the locks but for talking to mum or dad when they are out shopping or doing a pub wrecky happy.png

A pub wrecky?

Vandals, your mum and dad, are they??! ;):D

May be it's just another name for a pub crawl and refers to the state of the participants after the event!

No lol,

Pub Wrecky meaning a Pub Recon Mission - Like the Military go on Recon Missions - Reconasance Missions.

i feel like a glass of wine right now.blink.png

We use them to save water! messages like ... "leave the locks gate open there's a boat coming the other way" .... or .... "don't set the lock yet there's a boat coming down that can use it first" ... or "I have just started filling this lock so you are OK to empty the lock above without spilling water over the overflow"

I'm thinking this is a far more likely use - if one was simply stealing locks/water well ahead of one's own boat, there's no extra advantage to be gained by being able to communicate, is there?

Just to declare my hand, I've actually got one. The other is in the bottom of one of the Stockton Locks. ;)

I'm thinking this is a far more likely use - if one was simply stealing locks/water well ahead of one's own boat, there's no extra advantage to be gained by being able to communicate, is there?

Just to declare my hand, I've actually got one. The other is in the bottom of one of the Stockton Locks. wink.png

Mine is in Gas Street Basin! May be they are communicating with each other!

Mine is in Gas Street Basin! May be they are communicating with each other!

There must be loads of us with single handsets. Perhaps we should resurrect the idea of a common channel - we could talk to each other about the frequent sightings of single trainers on motorways or where the partner to all our odd socks went.

Edited for auto correct muck up.

Edited by Sea Dog