Stolen Boat on Ashby Canal

deckhand

Featured Posts

I don't think it was insured (?)

it was insured third party only according to the owner, so no insurance payout available.

We have electricity, aeroplanes, televisions, radio, radar, modern medicine, robots building cars and the Internet - because of speculation. "What if...?" Questions are asked, things are looked at from different angles, theories tested... and the truth reveals itself.

We are all curious to know what this (assumed/reported-as-such) theft is all about, are we not?

Personally I wonder what use is an old boat - is the hull still OK and within thickness limits? Has blacking been done? Can it really be rebuilt to a standard passing BSS regulations?

If a genuine theft, then the insurance company should pay what they promised, and any shortfalls could be seen to by everyone on here chipping in to help.

It's beginning to look like a male/female difference in outlook to me. Blokes ask questions, float ideas, mull through the possibilities in as attempt to understand what happened. Gurls seem to find this offensive, preferring to be all gooey and sympathetic, and get cross with us for trying to figure out what happened.

Sorry - missed that bit (about the insurance).

Still, I would be interested to know how and why...

And it would be nice if everyone could get together and help the owner out and turn the hull (if in good condition) into a new boat. Just saying. Also, willing to help if I can.

It's beginning to look like a male/female difference in outlook to me. Blokes ask questions, float ideas, mull through the possibilities in as attempt to understand what happened. Gurls seem to find this offensive, preferring to be all gooey and sympathetic, and get cross with us for trying to figure out what happened.

Just for clarity it's not "offensive" it's rude and unhelpful to speculate that a boat has not really been stolen when you have no info or evidence that points in this direction. It also makes the forum a more unpleasant place

It doesn't look like a male/female thing either. It's more of a "people who choose to believe the worst" v "people who keep an open mind"

So when the question that the owner hasn't posted on social media comes up the people that choose to believe the worst jump to the conclusion that "hes not doing much to find it therefore it's a bit fishy" whereas the people who keep an open mind just think he may not be much of an internet user

but good for you for apologising, pity the others couldn't do the same

• Greenie 2

It also makes the forum a more unpleasant place

Actually, it's posts like yours, and most posts from Jenlyn, that make me feel the forum has become an unpleasant place. I feel if what I say doesn't please the PC Police, certain people will start haranguing me. I now visit the forum far less regularly than I used to, and really only log in if I need to send a PM.

Ooo goody - we haven't had a bit of 'forum naval gazing' for a while....

It's all down to the reduced strength of the current Royal Navy - there are fewer ships than hitherto for us to gaze at.

I first met this boat in the late 80s when the then owner asked me to add some traditional decoration to it. He, wife and daughter were living on it at the end of the Bumblehole Arm, where Harris brothers used to build and repair boats. The name, Cally Hannah was a combination of his daughter's name and one of their mothers. I've not seen them or the boat for many years now, I recall it was a bit tired even in those days.

Dave

And we're still waiting to hear the rest of this Mystery.....

1. Was it stolen, and if so, why?

2. What are the police doing about this?

3. What will happen to the boat (hull) now?

Any news on the one-eyed dog stealers by the way? Another subject that has vanished into the mists... Coventry Canal as I recall...

The hull is now back in the owners hands, saw him today in nuneaton, he had got an outboard running and was heading back along the Coventry towards marston junction, not sure where its heading now but he did say the person the police wanted to speak to had claimed he purchased the boat from the person who had obviously stolen it, and he was not sure if he would do a full restore, but he would be looking to at least save the hull.

Was a strange sight seeing it stripped so much, nothing left bar the hull and i could see some engine, albeit not looking like it was going to run any time soon.

So the guy who 'bought' the boat stripped the cabin off. He has lost whatever he paid for the boat, but is he also now liable for the damage he has done to someone else's boat?

Isn't it odd buying a boat and then straight away stripping it to pieces? Almost as if you knew it was 'hot'.

Let's hope the details are filled in to stop us all guessing.

So the guy who 'bought' the boat stripped the cabin off. He has lost whatever he paid for the boat, but is he also now liable for the damage he has done to someone else's boat?

He never had good title to the boat and is liable to the legitimate owner for the damage done

A truly dreadful sight.

I saw her passing Sutton's Stop yesterday evening, just as the Honda outboard gave up the ghost.

Plenty of helping hands on board I hope the assistance continues and the owner achieves something.

• Greenie 1

Isn't it odd buying a boat and then straight away stripping it to pieces? Almost as if you knew it was 'hot'.

Not odd at all.

I purchased my boat in a state of disrepair and immediately set to work stripping back to put a new watertight roof on.

Maybe this unsuspecting buyer followed a similar route.

We have all seen boats with for sale in the windows, and if the price was low enough may have seemed legit.

Or the guy who "bought" it was actually the guy who stole it and is just claiming that he bought it to get off a theft charge?

Or the guy who "bought" it was actually the guy who stole it and is just claiming that he bought it to get off a theft charge?

Should be easy to verify.

Lots of cash withdrawn recently or cheque cashed?

If not mmmmmmm.

Should be easy to verify.

Lots of cash withdrawn recently or cheque cashed?

If not mmmmmmm.

"paid cash officer, I had it saved up at home" Do you really think the police would be that bothered chasing it up now the boat has been found? As long as they get a crime statistic to log and meet their targets it would be all good as far as they are concerned.

Edited by robert anthony

Could you elaborate please, Dave?

There is a legal maxim that went (when lawyers still spouted Latin);

Nemo dat quod non habet

Or translated "nobody gives what he does not have"

With the exception of the now abolished market ouvert, this means that if person B takes something that belongs to person A and sells it to person C, then no matter that person C "bought" in good faith, he still doesn't own it, because B didn't own it.

B couldn't give good title to C because he didn't have good title himself.

So, in this case, regardless of any transaction which may have taken place between B (the person who took the boat) and C (the person who handed over cash for it), the boat was always owned by A.

As C did not own the boat and did not have the owners authority to remove the superstructure, he is liable to the owner in tort to put right what he has done.

If C is innocent and foolish, that means that not only has he wasted a pile of cash on a boat that he doesn't own, but he may have to pay out some more cash to put the boat right.

Alternatively, if it can be shown that C was well aware that B didn't own the boat, then he has criminal damage to add to receiving stolen goods.