Frank Nurser Tray on eBay

dave moore

Featured Posts

Hi all

I've been alerted to a wooden tray for sale on eBay, ascribed to Frank Nurser. It looks right to me from a look at the photograph on the sale site, although no provenance is offered.

Starting price...£400...it's been on before but not sold....I know one person who won't be bidding. Might you??

Cheers

Dave

Hi all

I've been alerted to a wooden tray for sale on eBay, ascribed to Frank Nurser. It looks right to me from a look at the photograph on the sale site, although no provenance is offered.

Starting price...£400...it's been on before but not sold....I know one person who won't be bidding. Might you??

Cheers

Dave

Errr no.

It's an impressive tray, but note the sellers comment:

"I have included a photo from Tony Lewery's 1996 book 'Flowers Afloat' as an example."

So what exactly does the item for sale look like?

Compare:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/artists/frank-nurser/paintings/slideshow#/2

Edited by Derek R.

He must have read this thread to lower price lol.

Derek, do you think he means the photo on the item is from the book and is not of his tray? Wouldnt bid on that for all the tea in china if so.

It does give that impression. I have asked that question of the seller, so we'll see what reply is given.

Interestingly, the other paintings alleged to be Frank Nursers' on the BBC website look more like the image shown on the sellers Ebay page than that of the tray on the BBC site. The castle and buildings on the table flap look almost identical to the sellers item, whereas the 'BBC' tray has a different 'feel' and style to the castle. Maybe a change in style over time? I don't know his work well enough to say.

Edited by Derek R.

Percy Foster was another Braunston painter whose style was very similar to Frank Nurser. I haven't looked on any of the sites mentioned, perhaps the work featured may be his. It's often hard to tell merely from photographs, subtleties of brushwork aren't always apparent. I've been sent many photographs of painted ware over the years and it can look very different when viewing it in the flesh.

Styles certainly change over time, what I do now and what I did 30 years ago, or more are markedly different. I've even re-painted stuff from the early days....cringe!

I've always associated Frank Nurser with painting on boats themselves or associated artefacts, perhaps the tray, if it is his, was a foray into the very early souvenir/giftware market. I'm aware that Tom Rolt persuaded Heals of London to stock and sell some painted ware produced in Braunston though I've never linked Nurser with it. You live and learn!

Cheers

Dave

Waiting for paint to dry on water cans

Percy Foster was another Braunston painter whose style was very similar to Frank Nurser. I haven't looked on any of the sites mentioned, perhaps the work featured may be his. It's often hard to tell merely from photographs, subtleties of brushwork aren't always apparent. I've been sent many photographs of painted ware over the years and it can look very different when viewing it in the flesh.

Styles certainly change over time, what I do now and what I did 30 years ago, or more are markedly different. I've even re-painted stuff from the early days....cringe!

I've always associated Frank Nurser with painting on boats themselves or associated artefacts, perhaps the tray, if it is his, was a foray into the very early souvenir/giftware market. I'm aware that Tom Rolt persuaded Heals of London to stock and sell some painted ware produced in Braunston though I've never linked Nurser with it. You live and learn!

Cheers

Dave

Waiting for paint to dry on water cans

Some of those may have been produced by Ron Hough. I know he did paint some souvenier ware for a London store, although I am failry certain he told me it was for Harrods.

Although similar in style to Nurser's if asked Jess Owen could turn out a painting style that even fooled some of the "Experts" of the time, into thinking/saying it was Frank Nursers work. I witnessed this on a replacement can he painted to match an original one painted by F Nurser. He also painted one in his own style & when the 3 were stood together There was much discussion among the "Experts" As Jess was mentored at Braunston. I suppose it's not to surprising

Some of those may have been produced by Ron Hough. I know he did paint some souvenier ware for a London store, although I am failry certain he told me it was for Harrods.

Harrods were amongst a number of "High end" stores which had "Canal ware" as a theme, they even purchased "Classic (Epping)" stoves and "Queen Anne" stoves as plant display items.

I remember Classic Garden Furniture of Newport running out of "Classic" stoves because Harrods had all the stock.

A reply from the seller has implied that the photograph from Tony Lewrey's book has not in fact been published due to possible copyright infringement. A further question has been asked if the item as seen - is the actual item for sale. I suspect it is.

I'd have called it a 'bum board' but at only 42cm long (x 22cm) it seems a little short - would mean a narrow aisle, but as

BuckbyLocks said there is no mention in the ad of the word 'tray', on the other hand a close look at the picture does

suggest an upward curve to the edges ?

springy

The seller has confirmed the item as seen on the Ebay page, IS the item for sale.

If it is a tray, it could be the underside of it. Only one bid, not mine and won't be but a nice piece of work. The seller will be pleased.

Edited by Derek R.