Diesel heater mounting in engine bay

Featured Posts

I'm considering installing diesel heating on my 57ft boat. Not yet made the decision on whether to go Eber or Webasto.

My question concerns the best method of mounting the parts in the engine compartment. Searching the web I've seen the various parts mounted around the compartment, or grouped together on what looks like a plate or painted board.

All on a board looks neater to me such as in the picture I've attached.

Is it normal practice to get nuts welded on to secure the parts, clip hoses and so on, or is there a better way? I could drill and tap into the bulkhead, or am I then opening myself up to lots of noise being transmitted into the cabin?

I've picked up on the 22mm pipe for the feed and return lines to the rads - Is it acceptable to go through the bulkhead at 15mm then increase afterwards? The picture seems to show 15mm polypipe coming off the Webasto.

I believe I need to get the install commissioned properly once I've done the install to check the burn etc. Can anyone recommend someone in the Loughborough / River Soar area?

Thanks a lot

post-24213-0-29581400-1438067407_thumb.jpg

Are welding nuts onto the swim etc the only successful way to clip pipe runs etc or is there a more simple way I'm missing.

Is it acceptable practice to take the diesel feed from the second port on the CAV filter assuming I use the correct bore pipe (2mm)

Are welding nuts onto the swim etc the only successful way to clip pipe runs etc or is there a more simple way I'm missing.

Is it acceptable practice to take the diesel feed from the second port on the CAV filter assuming I use the correct bore pipe (2mm)

Mine is taken from the engine feed after the water trap fed with 5/16 to its own filter then 2mm. Not recomemded as the engine lift pump when running can starve the heater. We never use the two at the same time so its not a problem if it does, it didn't do it when I tested it.......

I'd thought about battens, or small steel pieces either tapped or with a bolt though to provide a stud, but I was concerned Marineflex or Stixall would not be man enough particularly with a vertical load. I'm more than happy to be corrected though as I don't have access (or skills) to a welder.

Thanks for the info so far

I'd thought about battens, or small steel pieces either tapped or with a bolt though to provide a stud, but I was concerned Marineflex or Stixall would not be man enough particularly with a vertical load. I'm more than happy to be corrected though as I don't have access (or skills) to a welder.

Thanks for the info so far

Marineflex is surprisingly strong but I'd prefer not to trust it either. Especially as the metal-to-paint bond underneath it would probably be the fail point.

Vertical battens fixed with marineFlex perhaps, with one sealed bolt though the wood and the metal at the top of each batten?

Mine is taken from the engine feed after the water trap fed with 5/16 to its own filter then 2mm. Not recomemded as the engine lift pump when running can starve the heater. We never use the two at the same time so its not a problem if it does, it didn't do it when I tested it.......

I went against perceived wisdom and ran 9mm copper pipe to a tee then divided to engine and Mikuni, never been any issues with fuel supply when running together.

My Webasto installation is similar to the photo in the first post. I can't see any fixings so assume the board is fixed to the steel with Sikaflex or similar. Been there 8 years with no problems.

Looks a right pig to service in the location in your photo.

Make sure access to it is really easy, you'll be needing it!

Wouldn't you just take it off the bulkhead for servicing,or you mean it's difficult to get it off the bulkhead?

On the subject off marineflex, I've stuck sheets of ply to steel bulkheads and mounted things on them. If you key both surfaces first and wipe the dust off with a cloth dampened with white spirit you'll never get it off. The ply does need support until the marineflex goes off though.

Edited by blackrose

I welded a steel plate to the swim and bolted the webby to that, I stuck battens down with sikaflex to fix fuel ilnes and wiring, I drilled the fuel tank at the top and fitted the dip tube then straight to the supplied filter, you must fit 3/4" running nipples through bulkhead for the radiators, NOT 1/2" You can use 1/2" for the calorifier though. I got NMEA to connect it up and commission it for me.

Neil