Freeman's Meadow Lock Weir

emlclcy

Featured Posts

this will be our first cruise after picking up the boat from Barrow upon Soar, its a long journey to aldermaston. looking at the Nicholson guides planning the route I was a bit concerned about the weir at freemans meadow lock. Is there anything to watch out for?

the nav notes say in red there is an enormous unprotected weir!

sort of worrying me a bit, well a lot really...

carl

this will be our first cruise after picking up the boat from Barrow upon Soar, its a long journey to aldermaston. looking at the Nicholson guides planning the route I was a bit concerned about the weir at freemans meadow lock. Is there anything to watch out for?

the nav notes say in red there is an enormous unprotected weir!

sort of worrying me a bit, well a lot really...

carl

There's no need for you to worry at all.

From Barrow you'll be travelling upstream and so you will be on the low level side of the weir, which is to the left (port side) as you approach the lock.

Before reaching Freemans Meadow Lock, however, you will be passing close and parallel to two weirs which run water off under a footbridges carrying the towpath on your starboard (righthand) side a short distance above North Lock. Unless the river is well above normal level, these won't cause you any problems either, just pass at normal speed and keeping midstream whilst doing so.

Ps. I assume you'll be turning towards Braunston at the end of the Leicester cut and going via the Oxford to the Thames, and not the GU to Brentford and then up the Thames to Reading ? If, as you say, this is your first time out boating, then the route via Oxford is definitely the better one for you.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I did a very similar trip three weeks ago as crew for Paulmeds, who like you was new to boating (almost, he had done some long ago). He was starting at Crick, having bought his boat at ABNB there, and we did Crick to Aldermaston via Oxford in five long days. That was pushing it, you may wish to take your time more, although it does save on the EA licence if you do Oxford to Reading in two days instead of paying for a week and taking it slowly.

So we didn't see this Freeman's Meadow Lock, but approaching the Thames locks from above I didn't feel we were about to be dragged to our doom over a weir at any time. On the other hand, the flow was slow, as it usually will be on the Thames in summer, and if your engine fails on a river and you don't have an anchor, the next weir is where you are likely to slowly drift to. With a normal tame current, I doubt the consequences would be serious in a narrowboat; I'd imagine you'd just be stuck there until someone towed you back away?

From my memory from passing through last year, there is now a boom fitted for the end nearest the lock. There was also so little flow at the time, the river stopped flowing over the weir while we filled the lock!

Certainly nothing at all to worry about going up stream.

You feel the pull if cruising the other way, to come down the lock, but only when the river is running well. You'll be fine. Have you just bought Quorndon by chance? A mate of ours boat.

yes Quorndon No3

got some intensive tuition from Scott :)

good bloke

20150730_125220_zpsjgdwlvpr.jpg

The present arrangement.

Lots of floats and no water.

Considering what C&RT have done recently with those stupid lanes marked on towpaths, that weir boom is probably there to prevent ducks being drawn on to it.