Blocking off window holes

Featured Posts

Tim.

This is very difficult to do, impossible to get it completely invisible.

Cut a plate of the same thickness. MIG welder is a must, tack weld in place from both sides but do not continuous weld.

Alternative put the filler plate in place and tack 2 inch wide frame all round inside bridging the join, again minimum of tack welds. Finish with body filler.

Try do disguise the job with the paint scheme, fix portholes across a join.

An alternative approach might be to go for 'panelled' cabin sides.

Plates cut slightly larger than the widow holes could be welded on the outside to give a raised panel effect or on the inside to provide recessed panels. Whether they should be tack or continuously welded is beyond my experience and you would need to take advice.

You could then mount the portholes in the centre of the new plates.

sigh.... I have a simlar problem...

as most of you regulars will know, i haven't had this new boat more than a few weeks, and within a day of having her, it was apparent that a big clanger had been dropped

In my bathroom I have two ports, one either side and it wasn't spotted by myself or the boatbuilder when planning the boat, that the porthole on one side would be directly where you stand, when in the shower!!!! I do have frosted glass in them but when your in the shower its a right floor show for people outside! a curtain would be forever wet through, so im thinking of leaded glass or even blocking it all together :/

Just show's you, even seasoned boat planners can and do get it wrong....

Where are you moored Wynd Lass? Leer, leer......

To maintain your undoubted modesty, cut a circle of ply of the same diameter as the porthole, cover it with a plastic or waterproof material, fix a knob in the middle and plug it into place when you want to use the shower. Considerably cheaper and easier than having the porthole removed completely!

wynd lass

We have porthole plugs which are round pieces of 3''deep foam slightly larger in diameter than the porthole, covered in material with a tassel for pulling them out they work very well. Joy (ocm) made them herself.The same design using a waterproof material will put an end to your embarrassment. :lol:

PS where did you say you were moored :D

Edited by Big COL

seriously, to avoid a lot of unnecessary work, why not leave the offending portholes in place, paint the inside of the glass black, and then complete the lining and insulation on the inside. Cover the patch with a mirror or some other feature.

any welding work will leave you with distorted side panels.

seriously, to avoid a lot of unnecessary work, why not leave the offending portholes in place, paint the inside of the glass black, and then complete the lining and insulation on the inside.  Cover the patch with a mirror or some other feature.

any welding work will leave you with distorted side panels.

Chris is right this is a serious matter and I agree with his idea. This would protect a ladies modesty.

Wynd lass are the boats either side for hire :lol:

Yeah, you could get it brased thought?

- cut a pannel to fit

- cut a plate to go across the join (behind it)

- and then brase it together

still look like a distorted mess. and the exposed aperture won't be very regular. I wouldn't.

you could bolt a name board over the hole. nice fancy signwriting (in Latin - 'a hole was here' - or summat). :lol:

Edited by chris polley

Chris: I like that idea.........unfortunately the bathroom walls are in/on, and its covered with that stuff that looks like marble and feels like plastic.......(oh im having a blonde day today!)

Mum suggested another shower curtain on the wall side?

simple, inexpensive and err.......what do you think of that?

Brazing would be worse than welding.

There would be something to be said for using backing strips then countersunk pop-rivets and filling.  A lot of work but a minimum of distortion.

Hi John

Vintage car restoration, the old ways are still the best.

Cut your window infill with the port hole already cut out, bevel the edges of the infill and the edges of the window hole. Apply good Tack welds to the infill at the corners and in the middle of the sides, using stick solder plumb and wipe the joint, rub down with coarse paper and finish off with a small amount of body filler then fine paper

Edited by Big COL

Would need a lot more heat though on 4mm ish plate than a car though.

I would of thought John Orentas's rivet suggestion was the most sensible myself. Any heat on a big panel could be disastrous. Do you think dome headed nuts and bolts( I have seen them with a plain dome) would more resemble a proper rivet and overlapping plate would look more as if it belonged there? Obviously it would need a nice piece of steel and symetrical holes, the size of rivet must also be in keeping. Trying to hide something usually makes it stand out more.

sigh.... I have a simlar problem...

as most of you regulars will know, i haven't had this new boat more than a few weeks, and within a day of having her, it was apparent that a big clanger had been dropped

In my bathroom I have two ports, one either side and it wasn't spotted by myself or the boatbuilder when planning the boat, that the porthole on one side would be directly where you stand, when in the shower!!!! I do have frosted glass in them but when your in the shower its a right floor show for people outside! a curtain would be forever wet through, so im thinking of leaded glass or even blocking it all together :/

Just show's you, even seasoned boat planners can and do get it wrong....

I've mentioned before but you could try out the window tint stuff the boy racers use on there cars. Still lets light through but nothing out. Shame :lol: