Overwater Marina Info ?

brassedoff

Featured Posts

Does anyone have an experience of Overwater Marina in/near Audlem ?

We have been to see it and spoke to the freindly staff and we fell in love with it.

Only as a short term visitor but our experience was entirely favourable.

We had a short unscheduled stay a month or so ago when we had a plumbing problem. Service was great, staff were friendly and the setting is excellent. We would use it if it were not so far north from family over the winter.

A friend of ours moored there for quite a while. We were left with a very favourable impression of a well run Marina with friendly staff and good facilities. The moorers weren't treated as a nuisance like some I've heard about.

It's one I'd consider seriously if we ever needed to move into a Marina.

Very nice bit of canal as well with Audlem on your doorstep with some good pubs.

Thanks Phil and Ange / Bruce,

Its lovely looking for sure, I think I might end up staying their and mix it up with some cruising a few days of the week.

smiley face! A good pub, where do we sign ? Lol

Edited by brassedoff

A friend of ours moored there for quite a while. We were left with a very favourable impression of a well run Marina with friendly staff and good facilities. The moorers weren't treated as a nuisance like some I've heard about.

It's one I'd consider seriously if we ever needed to move into a Marina.

Very nice bit of canal as well with Audlem on your doorstep with some good pubs.

Actually..the location is a bit of an issue - but only a "bit" depending on how you want to use your boat. If you're in the marina and only have a weekend to cruise, you have a couple of realistic options:

- Turn left and go along the arrow-straight, on-a-slight-embankment (so its ALWAYS windy) Shroppie then turn at Hurleston, Barbridge or Bunbury (just before the staircase). Or make it a bit of an epic trip and go through the staircase (and 3 more broad locks) and back; or up and down 4 or 6 locks on the Llangollen.

- Turn right and go up 20 locks before the next winding hole, then turn around at the first available winding hole then down the same 20. Unless you have a very small boat.

If you have longer than a weekend, then it opens up much more variety as you can choose between Llangollen, SU towards Chester, or SU Middlewich branches, or split the 40 locks up more amicably.

The OP didn't say if it was just to stay in short term, long term (and cruise from....what time available for this..?) or to just stop for services but be nearby etc.

It was seriously affected a winter ago when there were stoppages both at Nantwich and on the Audlem locks - during that winter those in the marina had about 2 hours cruising each way before the stoppage. But since that work is now completed, shouldn't occur again.

Actually..the location is a bit of an issue - but only a "bit" depending on how you want to use your boat. If you're in the marina and only have a weekend to cruise, you have a couple of realistic options:

- Turn left and go along the arrow-straight, on-a-slight-embankment (so its ALWAYS windy) Shroppie then turn at Hurleston, Barbridge or Bunbury (just before the staircase). Or make it a bit of an epic trip and go through the staircase (and 3 more broad locks) and back; or up and down 4 or 6 locks on the Llangollen.

- Turn right and go up 20 locks before the next winding hole, then turn around at the first available winding hole then down the same 20. Unless you have a very small boat.

If you have longer than a weekend, then it opens up much more variety as you can choose between Llangollen, SU towards Chester, or SU Middlewich branches, or split the 40 locks up more amicably.

The OP didn't say if it was just to stay in short term, long term (and cruise from....what time available for this..?) or to just stop for services but be nearby etc.

It was seriously affected a winter ago when there were stoppages both at Nantwich and on the Audlem locks - during that winter those in the marina had about 2 hours cruising each way before the stoppage. But since that work is now completed, shouldn't occur again.

Thanks Paul, we were told that moorings are pretty much available most of the time and are still looking for a 50-58ft boat. at the moment we are planning on always having a Marina as a base and certainly for the first 12 months, i will still have a land address at mum n dads anyway.

I dont plan on staying sat in a Marina but i would like the security of what it brings in winter, as for cruising we are not tied into how many days we stay out, my dad is retired and i dont work at the moment.

Their does seem to be a shed load of locks from Overwater for sure, but its all local within a few days to my dads land address and the cheshire ring.

I fancy going to wales for a holiday on the canal too, its the best of both worlds either way we turn for us at Audlem.

I bet its a bit blowy in the winter like you say.

thanks Paul.

Edited by brassedoff

Thanks Paul, we were told that moorings are pretty much available most of the time and are still looking for a 50-58ft boat. at the moment we are planning on always having a Marina as a base and certainly for the first 12 months, i will still have a land address at mum n dads anyway.

I dont plan on staying sat in a Marina but i would like the security of what it brings in winter, as for cruising we are not tied into how many days we stay out, my dad is retired and i dont work at the moment.

Their does seem to be a shed load of locks from Overwater for sure, but its all local within a few days to my dads land address and the cheshire ring.

I fancy going to wales for a holiday on the canal too, its the best of both worlds either way we turn for us at Audlem.

I bet its a bit blowy in the winter like you say.

thanks Paul.

I have never stayed at Overwater so can't comment directly but I should not worry about the marina being windy in the winter as all marinas I have ever stayed in or vsisited can be windy. They are all a large open space with little to stop the wind blowing.

In the Cheshire area there are other marinas that may suit you. A mooring at Nantwich may be OK there is Swanley on the Llangollen branch about 30 mins from the locks.

I have never stayed at Overwater so can't comment directly but I should not worry about the marina being windy in the winter as all marinas I have ever stayed in or vsisited can be windy. They are all a large open space with little to stop the wind blowing.

In the Cheshire area there are other marinas that may suit you. A mooring at Nantwich may be OK there is Swanley on the Llangollen branch about 30 mins from the locks.

No I mean the canal nearby is windy. All marinas are, by their very nature, windy.

I read Overwater won Marina of the Year in a Magazine, I fancy lyme view marina too on the macc canal .

I am like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment

My dreams are coming through, wags my tail.

Edited by brassedoff

Arrived at Overwater a couple of months after it opened popped in for fuel and decided to stay after experiencing the suburb customer service, have experienced other marinas some long term others short term. Overwater has the X Factor, must say the facilities are of the highest standard, immaculately clean, great cafe, friendly staff and management that listen to concerns raised. As for location agree the Audlem flight can be a instant challenge if turning right, but an easy challenge with locks that are easy to operate, turning left lots of options, with Llangollen, Montgomery, Chester, Anderton Lift, Trent & Mersey, Bridgewater all options. Since my time at Overwater owners Janet & Angus have invested year on year and as a moorer I am more than happy, Not forgetting some great events on the marina but also in the Audlem village.clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Edited by Tonyhair

We have moored there for 4 years, lovely location, excellent facilities, cracking staff. You will have to go a very long way to find one in as good a setting

Stig cant get a better answer than that, glad you love it smile.png

thanks for your reply too

Arrived at Overwater a couple of months after in opened popped in for fuel and decided to stay after experiencing the suburb customer service, have experienced other marinas some long term others short term but whilst some where just ok, Overwater has the X Factor, must say the facilities are of the highest standard, immaculately clean, great cafe, friendly staff and management that listen to concerns raised. As for location agree the Audlem flight can be a instant challenge if turning right, but an easy challenge with locks that are easy to operate, turning left lots of options, with Llangollen, Montgomery, Chester, Anderton Lift, Trent & Mersey, Bridgewater all options. Since my time at Overwater owners Janet & Angus have invested year on year and as a moorer I am more than happy, Not forgetting some great events on the marina but also in the Audlem village.clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

WOooo, Tony, nothing to say but i felt the same when i visited i love the place lots, we sat and had coffee and spoke to the staff, the little white audelem taxi brought a smile too.

3 claps says something, thats was a concern though all the locks i will be on my own quite a bit down their as mum n dad live in manchester, plenty of cycling and walks around their too.

Thanks you very much Tony.

Edited by brassedoff

WOooo, Tony, nothing to say but i felt the same when i visited i love the place lots, we sat and had coffee and spoke to the staff, the little white audelem taxi brought a smile too.

3 claps says something, thats was a concern though all the locks i will be on my own quite a bit down their as mum n dad live in manchester, plenty of cycling and walks around their too.

I went up the Audlem flight with a very active crew member took 3hrs 15mins, came back down two weeks later single handed only 15mins longer.

dont worry about the locks, they are easy to singlehand

I had a mooring there for a bit and agree with all the rave reviews above.

In addition, refreshingly, they are not the type of business that tries to get as much as possible from you. When i gave up the mooring with less than a weeks official notice (due to the timing being dependent on property sale/purchase and stoppages looming) they would have been totally within their rights to charge me the whole of the notice period but they didn't because I'd been chatting to them about my plans so "we knew you'd be leaving" - so they gave me a full refund of the unused months which was in my bank in a few days

I went up the Audlem flight with a very active crew member took 3hrs 15mins, came back down two weeks later single handed only 15mins longer.

Sounds like you did well to do it nearly in the same time coming down.

Ps like your boat name, i was going to call my boat Brassed Off. still thinking on that though.

Edited by brassedoff

dont worry about the locks, they are easy to singlehand

I had a mooring there for a bit and agree with all the rave reviews above.

In addition, refreshingly, they are not the type of business that tries to get as much as possible from you. When i gave up the mooring with less than a weeks official notice (due to the timing being dependent on property sale/purchase and stoppages looming) they would have been totally within their rights to charge me the whole of the notice period but they didn't because I'd been chatting to them about my plans so "we knew you'd be leaving" - so they gave me a full refund of the unused months which was in my bank in a few days

Thats really good of them to do that Lonewolf, most people are on the make these days.

The locks were a concern, i will be alone a lot of the time i was planning to turn left out of the Marina and have a few nights a week moored up that way.

I think we might end up getting on the cheshire ring around macclesfield/marple too which is close to my mum n dads.

bring on the play dayssmile.png

I wouldn't worry about doing locks on your own, especially narrow ones. I do the curdworth flight (11 locks) near us on my own from time to time. It takes longer but is also strangely enjoyable doing it all yourself. Just don't rush it.

Plus, on a busy flight like Audlem you are likely to encounter boats coming the other way which means the lock will be ready for you - gate open, and you don't have to close the gate on the lock you are exiting. Other boaters will normally offer to help you if you are on your own.

I wouldn't worry about doing locks on your own, especially narrow ones. I do the curdworth flight (11 locks) near us on my own from time to time. It takes longer but is also strangely enjoyable doing it all yourself. Just don't rush it.

Plus, on a busy flight like Audlem you are likely to encounter boats coming the other way which means the lock will be ready for you - gate open, and you don't have to close the gate on the lock you are exiting. Other boaters will normally offer to help you if you are on your own.

Thanks Nick, thats good to know, i have a lot to learn before i could do them on my own i think.

Can i ask are locks around their quiter in the week i.e monday to friday ?

Edited by brassedoff

I've done the locks loads of times and haven't noticed a particular pattern towards their busy-ness. Sometimes when a large hire base is located near locks, you'll get a 'glut' of their hire boats departing or returning at the same time, but apart from Cheshire Cat (5 boats - and most go to Llangollen) there's no hirebases nearby enough to affect things.