Braunston Marina

zigspider

Featured Posts

And Braunston is a nicer marina than most, having the historic buildings, docks and workshops still there and in use.

And a caravan site too I understand...smile.png

(or more correctly a Certified location)

Edited by MJG

Came late to this topic. Try Calcutt that I think is slightly cheaper then the two neighbours mentioned. It's family run and seem reasonable for work prices. The only thing is that the same as Ventnor Farm you really need wheels of some sort. Hourly buses maybe 15 to 29 minutes walk away.

Not sure of their charges because you may need a "high intensity" agreement rather than the leisure one I have.

I think the term is "Laundromat". A self-service launderette. I've an idea it might be a trade name like "Hoover"...

LOL - as always...I stand corrected wink.png

Ohhh - and the ice cream truck stops by daily in the summer months (this is important)

& it is notorious for being a poor location for a wifi signal, even though you can use the marina's wifi for a price

Came late to this topic. Try Calcutt that I think is slightly cheaper then the two neighbours mentioned. It's family run and seem reasonable for work prices. The only thing is that the same as Ventnor Farm you really need wheels of some sort. Hourly buses maybe 15 to 29 minutes walk away.

Not sure of their charges because you may need a "high intensity" agreement rather than the leisure one I have.

Tony, from Calcutt's web site:

A once-only payment of £400.

Mooring fees in the Locks Marina are 68 pence per foot of boat length per week, payable annually in advance. (£35.46 per foot per year).

Berths in the Meadows Marina are charged at the rate of £2,346 per annum for the standard piers and £2,737 for the 70 foot piers.

Quarterly payment is available at approximately 10% surcharge.

All moorings are subject to an additional electricity infrastructure charge of £100 a year (£30 a quarter).

Prices include VAT and are subject to change without prior notice.

http://www.calcuttboats.com/moorings.html

For Ventnor, I think there is a £500 deposit refundable on taking up a mooring berth, it was when we went there in 2009. I stand correction here however.

Ventnor offer short pontoons for diddy NB's and cruisers

Then 50, 60 and 70ft pontoons at various prices. I only know what the costs are for 50ft berths as that is the one we have.

It cost us just shy of £2,000 pa. Electricity is charged by meter maid plus standard standing charge.

So for me it would be cheaper to moor in Calcutt Locks marina at £1595.70 pa but more expensive to moor in Meadows marina at £2,346 pa.

All prices include VAT.

I think there are too many variables to make a sensible comparison.

No idea of costs at Wigram's or Napton Marina as they are in the vicinity too.

So you pays yer money and picks your marina.

Edited by Ray T

So for me it would be cheaper to moor in Calcutt Locks marina at £1595.70 pa

Surely Calcutt woould cost you 50ft x 68p x52 weeks = £1768, plus the £100 leccy surcharge = £1,868 pa.

(The leccy charge is not optional, it's levied whether you use leccy or not.)

Surely Calcutt woould cost you 50ft x 68p x52 weeks = £1768, plus the £100 leccy surcharge = £1,868 pa.

(The leccy charge is not optional, it's levied whether you use leccy or not.)

Our boat is 45ft. I didn't realise that Mike. At Ventnor if you don't use the electricity you don't pay any extra.

Barby Moorings on the NorthOxford is worth a look. A lot cheaper than Braunston and individual pontoons with good space between boats.

Is Mr McMaster any more friendly than what I have been led to believe? Three boats have recently arrived at Ventnor, from Barby after having a "disagreement" with the said gent.

Edited by Ray T

Couple more notes re Braunston marina...

If moored in the main basin, you are asked not to have a wirly gig on the bow or stern of your boat for drying cloths (there is a "laundry mat" on site, but it is pretty dire as located right beside the pump out facility and diesel pump - wasn't a problem for us as we would normally leave the marina for a wee cruise a couple of days each week and I would do my washing and drying then.

They prefer you don't have a bunch of tat "storage" on your roof - you don't see any bikes on roofs in the main basin.

They frown on noisy power tools being used, but it's not completely forbidden - OH had the wood and other supplies delivered to the boat while at the marina then we cruised out to our favorite spot on the tow path where he used his electric saw to cut the wood and stain it. Back to our mooring where he put the pieces together for our top deck, top box & planter holders using power drill

They offer a postal service for receiving mail and other large packages FOC

And as others have said - it is the prettiest of marina's in the area IMO and also benefits from the village of Braunston being well within walking distance with it's 3 pubs, a Great Butcher and small shop

That launderette is a disaster, the washers are ok but the driers need about £10 worth of tokens to dry a load. Also, I managed to be in there once when someone was pumping out, and the smell nearly turned me sick- this coming from a veterinary nurse, take appropriate heed!

I did keep complaining to the office about the machine's efficiency, and they kept saying someone would come out to service it, but in the end, just told me not to use it if I didn't think it was good value, as I now know what it is like!

I never ran into issues with stuff on the roof or not being allowed to use tools- I did both, but I was at the far end of the far basin where the staff and about half the liveaboards are- maybe we got more leeway there.

They were also really good about me getting huge stuff delivered there, like a mattress and a shower tray...

When I was there, Wifi was good, and free, for most of my time. Towards the end it failed altogether (sure it is fixed now) but not being able to get it was a pain as I rely on it for work and picked a marina with it!

My Three dongle worked there, I think it is Vodafone and T mobile that are useless there. I was fine with Three and Orange.

One other thing, as I understand it from others, they were charged for their electric meter, at around £100, as for some reason they wouldn't let you either supply your own, or recycle their used ones, and the fee is non refundable. This is second hand info from a couple of people, not my own experience; I was never charged for my meter personally, which I handed in when I went.

Edited by Starcoaster

I think they are a little fussier with the "appearance" of the main basin as that is where all the boats for sale are located, and are indeed a bit moor lenient with the 2nd basin. I know in the basin where Carl and the other workers moor they even have the odd wirly gig out from time to time

You aren't exaggerating about the laundry facilities Starry, I was trying to be kind. But was soooo thankful when our washer arrived and Dave & Simon got it hooked up and I didn't have to use the onsite facilities any longer :)

Yes, we had to put down a deposit for our meter, but it was refunded when we turned it in the day we left. I forget how much it was now, but we got the whole of it back so no issues there.

Thank you so much to all..

I was using this link:

http://ukcanals.net/marinas

I am not averse to be further south, maybe around oxford or cambridge even.. I just feel the job opportunities would be there, although you might all jump on that, and say all the jobs go to the students..it wouldn't surprise me.

Of course the other option is to find the right location for CCing, which we would both prefer, but it is of course the issue of working, and in some ways I think a marina makes that easier.

The cost of course of marinas, especially some with amazing facilities, are going to be beyond our means. But still less than buying a house.

Re being in the wrong part of Canada, that may be the case, as so many from our area are out West, and living the high life, with big houses and even bigger trucks.. and in the mean time the economy here in rural nova scotia is declining. But the bubble is bursting, many have not got their contracts renewed and big houses and big trucks, and big toys are all now for sale, and there aren't people out there with the money to buy them.

What is general security like at Braunston Marina? Having lots of boats for sale, and presumably prospective purchasers/gongoozelers wandering around at will, is security of unattended boats an issue?

Ken

We didn't experience any real problems while we were there - had a few inquiries as to how much we were asking for our boat - which wasn't for sale, but was reasonable as when they had boats that had offers made and were waiting for surveys they would moor them behind us.

We did hear a few stories of break in's and general mischief but it was in the past and had to do with local lads from the village coming down into the Marina.

In the first basin where we were they seemed to space out the few live a boards, with the exception of us and our neighbor. Not sure if this was done on purpose or not, in that there would be at least one boat with lights on on pretty much each of the pontoons away from the "for sale" boats.

Ian from Piglet would be a better source of info as they have moored their boat at Braunston for quite some time, although not full time live a boards he could let you know about security and such

Thanks Bettie. Everytime I am down there it seems quite a lot of people wandering aimlessly around. Never been there during evening or night though.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

My self censorship mode has just kicked in so I'll moderate what I was going to say myself.

But you do talk nonsense sometimes.

Edited by Dean to remove quoted post.

Edited by MJG

Ventnor Farm have a load of stupid regulations which put us off from getting a mooring there. One of them is "No power tools to be used outside of the boat at a weekend" When I asked why the answer was because the other people who moor there like to sit on their boat and use it as a country cottage so they want peace

Thank ye Gods for the Voice of Reason! Go and use your Power Tools in Chelsea or outside Buclingham Palace at 5am on a Sunday mornin'!

Myself and several others I know, won't give Braunston marina the time of day.

The reason?

A couple or three years ago a few boats were frozen-in there (or very near there).

The coal boat - Gosty Hill - couldn't get through so we all had to buy coal from the marina.

Once, whats-his-face, found out, the price of a bag of coal went up by £3 overnight.

Rob....

And Braunston is a nicer marina than most, having the historic buildings, docks and workshops still there and in use. all the other marinas mentioned in this thread have a rather exposed, windswept and desolate feel about them which one doesn't get in Braunston.

Says someone who doesn't know where Sowerby Bridge 'marina' is???

And up North people are friendly.

Try Furness Vale or Aspley marinas. Up here the canals are rage-free, no red-faced Bufton-Tuftons with their 72-foot monstrosities.

Oh I've just remembered.

Another reason I don't like Braunston marina.

A few years ago I put an offer in on a boat there. £5000 less than the asking price of £75,000.

I found out about seven months later ( when we met the new owners ) that the broker had never even told the seller.

The seller sold for £68.500 as that was the best offer.

Rob....