Llangollen Canal, mooring points at lift bridges.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

No doubt there is something I have overlooked here, but what i the logic of having the mooring points at lift bridges on the opposite side of the canal to the lift gear required to open the bridge, meaning that once the boater has opened the bridge, there is no way back to the boat?

I have managed a work-around, but the whole thing just makes no logical sense to me. Why are the mooring points not on the same side as the lift gear?

Hire boaters seem to be being told to tie up to them while someone goes off to lift the bridge, at least that's what i've seen in recent weeks. Takes them longer to tie up then raise the bridge, at which point they have to untie...

There are also bollards on the same side as the lift gear..

Casp'

Edited by casper ghost

I can't think of a lift bridge that is any other way around than that.

Practically, it is simpler for horse drawn boats

I'm also not sure about the 'ownership' of the access across the bridge. Clearly a road is a public right of way, for farm or private access, I suspect it might have something to do with the landowner being the only person with a right to use the bridge

Richard

It's like that on the Yorkshire side of the L&L too - very annoying when single handed. I think the idea is that you have to close the bridge before you can get back on your boat. I must admit on those bridges were it requires the strength of Hercules I've often felt like leaving them open.

It was indeed done like this for horse drawn boats, which of course were the norm. Easier that way than having to lob the rope over bits of bridge.

No doubt there is something I have overlooked here, but what i the logic of having the mooring points at lift bridges on the opposite side of the canal to the lift gear required to open the bridge, meaning that once the boater has opened the bridge, there is no way back to the boat?

I have managed a work-around, but the whole thing just makes no logical sense to me. Why are the mooring points not on the same side as the lift gear?

There are mooring points on the same side as the lift gear but sometimes (as they are so infrequently used) they are hidden in the grass.

Made a 'cock-up' a couple of weeks ago at Wrenbury (the big 'main road' bridge) when single handed.

Was "miles away" and tied up on the towpath side, walked over, inserted key, walked back and closed the barriers - traffic lights flashing, traffic building up, lifted the bridge.

Doh ! - Couldn't get back to the boat.

Dropped bridge, opened barriers, let all the traffic thru.

Walked over, moved the boat to the other side, tied onto rings and repeated the whole process.

There normally seems to be just one mooring bollard on the side of the lift gear, right up against the bridge. I did use that or the first bridge, but then I figured it was just easier to wait for another boat to come along and ask them if they'd mind operating the bridge. Everybody seemed more than pleased to. I'll have my children with me next week so that will obviate that need. Going on to the Montgomery canal today, not sure what I will find, I do know it's only open as far as Queen's Head.

There normally seems to be just one mooring bollard on the side of the lift gear, right up against the bridge. I did use that or the first bridge, but then I figured it was just easier to wait for another boat to come along and ask them if they'd mind operating the bridge. Everybody seemed more than pleased to. I'll have my children with me next week so that will obviate that need. Going on to the Montgomery canal today, not sure what I will find, I do know it's only open as far as Queen's Head.

There is a problem at Aston locks (no not that Aston....). It is a shame because the end part of the Montgomery is very nice. You will find it very quiet.

There are now repeated controls on towpath side for Micklethwaite bridge via radio link from original on opposite bank. Clearly C&RT have seen the issue. Sadly this is the only one modified so far on L&L though.

Out of interest, I've booked my passage at Frankton locks with CRT, but what is the reason for the restricted access times to the Montgomery canal?

The number of boats allowed down is also restricted - otherwise it would be like the M25 in rush hour, when there is a breakdown in the road works - ie - at a total standstill.

It's a while ago now but when we were on the Llangollen Mr Trackman dropped me on the off side close to the gear to lift the bridge by long term off side moorings. Immediately out popped Mrs angry boater and shouted at me to tell me I should have left my boat on the tow path side then crossed the bridge to lift it. Not easy for single handers and seemed an unnecessary anger to me. I was not impressed.

Out of interest, I've booked my passage at Frankton locks with CRT, but what is the reason for the restricted access times to the Montgomery canal?

The number of boats in limited I believe because, 1) of water usage, the Llangollen is actually a supply from the river Dee at Llangollen to Hurleston reservoir, and 2) because the Montgomery is an SSSI.

There are now repeated controls on towpath side for Micklethwaite bridge via radio link from original on opposite bank. Clearly C&RT have seen the issue. Sadly this is the only one modified so far on L&L though.

I don't really understand why any electrically operated bridges, swing or lift, don't have the control panel on the towpath side. The lift bridge at Shirley has the controls on the towpath so why don't they all do that?

It's a while ago now but when we were on the Llangollen Mr Trackman dropped me on the off side close to the gear to lift the bridge by long term off side moorings. Immediately out popped Mrs angry boater and shouted at me to tell me I should have left my boat on the tow path side then crossed the bridge to lift it. Not easy for single handers and seemed an unnecessary anger to me. I was not impressed.

Don't beat yourself up over that. She is a well known misery guts to local boaters passing through. Maybe she, and others like her expect to eventually frighten off the number of boats on this busy canal. Only one winner there.

I simply don't understand why people choose a permanent mooring on a busy stretch next to a feature such as a lift bridge near a corner, then dart to the curtains every time a boat approaches. A bungalow on a cul de sac should be the home of choice.....

So single handed lift bridge operation is quite possible in the awkward case where the lift bridge is operated from the non towpath side... if the boater can tie up on the offside before and after the bridge. I seem to remember at least one bridge on a recent trip on the K&A where that would have been very difficult, with just reeds and a bank full of vegetation either side of the bridge. In such a situation I guess most single handers would just wait for another boater or a passer by, or the more intrepid would put a plank ashore, tread down some undergrowth and either tie a line to a tree or use a mooring pin? The latter might technically be illegal, but no reasonable landowner would object. Alternatively I suppose you might tie the bow line quite closely to the bridge near the hinge and climb over the bridge rail from there, then do the same with the stern line when through; only an option for the more agile boater.

Are there any lift or swing bridges which simply cannot be done single handed?

e name="Peter X" post="1613280" timestamp="1437733637"]So single handed lift bridge operation is quite possible in the awkward case where the lift bridge is operated from the non towpath side... if the boater can tie up on the offside before and after the bridge. I seem to remember at least one bridge on a recent trip on the K&A where that would have been very difficult, with just reeds and a bank full of vegetation either side of the bridge. In such a situation I guess most single handers would just wait for another boater or a passer by, or the more intrepid would put a plank ashore, tread down some undergrowth and either tie a line to a tree or use a mooring pin? The latter might technically be illegal, but no reasonable landowner would object. Alternatively I suppose you might tie the bow line quite closely to the bridge near the hinge and climb over the bridge rail from there, then do the same with the stern line when through; only an option for the more agile boater.

Are there any lift or swing bridges which simply cannot be done single handed?m

Just take bow line with you. Lift bridge. Pull boat thru.take centre or stern line. Lower bridge and get on your way.

Have done Lanny golly single handed several times with no problems.

Edited by valrene9600

There is a newly restored bridge on The Stroudwater, at The Ocean, near Stonehouse just like this

Hydraulic gear for swinging the bridge on the non towpath side and the only moorings available on the other bank.

I pointed it out to the (then) Canal Manager at Stroud Council and his face fell - I honestly believe that they hadn't thought of it

Mind you the project was deemed complete without the ability to actually swing the bridge as the hydraulics were all wrong as well...........

Are there any lift or swing bridges which simply cannot be done single handed?

m

Just take bow line with you. Lift bridge. Pull boat thru.take centre or stern line. Lower bridge and get on your way.

Have done Lanny golly single handed several times with no problems.

There is one on the South Oxford which would be extremely difficult if not impossible single handed, near Lower Heyford.

There is nothing to hold the bridge open once it is lifted, there is a chain but nothing to attach it to. The bridge is too heavy to lift from the towpath side so the Banbury stick technique wouldn't work. A couple of times we have come along to find a single hander or in one case older boaters waiting for help.

Ken

There is one on the South Oxford which would be extremely difficult if not impossible single handed, near Lower Heyford.

There is nothing to hold the bridge open once it is lifted, there is a chain but nothing to attach it to. The bridge is too heavy to lift from the towpath side so the Banbury stick technique wouldn't work. A couple of times we have come along to find a single hander or in one case older boaters waiting for help.

Ken

Is that a aluminium one? I don't know if I am imaging this, but I thought that was being electrified.

Ken

Yes, the aluminium one. It is very awkward but I have done it using the banbury stick method. You have to use the metal handrail to lift it, but it certainly isn't easy! I too thought it was being electrified.

Ken

smiley_offtopic.gif only slightly it would be interesting to see percentage of "single" handed boaters now on the system , 5 of us moored at Wigan t'other day.

Edited by b0atman

Don't beat yourself up over that. She is a well known misery guts to local boaters passing through. Maybe she, and others like her expect to eventually frighten off the number of boats on this busy canal. Only one winner there.

I simply don't understand why people choose a permanent mooring on a busy stretch next to a feature such as a lift bridge near a corner, then dart to the curtains every time a boat approaches. A bungalow on a cul de sac should be the home of choice.....

Thanks for that. Interesting. I thought it odd on what is a busy waterway.