Choosing Blacking Paint.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Wotcha peevil, well I have just given my boat a second coat of the Keelblack, and my oh my it is fabulous to use, as although it has a thin consistency...it goes on like a dream. Infact quite a few people have commented on how smart my boat was looking..after only one coat I have decided to give her 3 coats anyway, but comparing it another recently blacked boat..i am most impressed.

It is better to use rollers for the majority of the work, as it goes on much quickly and imo, gives a better finish.

After using the usual bitumen on various boats including my own as well as blacking hireboats, spanning over 30yrs, I can honestly say using this product has been was peasy apple sqeezy

It has made a ' oh ruddy hell I have to black the boat', a joy instead of a pain.

This will be my future choice. By the way I have no connection with the supplier, other than being a very happy customer.

Two-pack for me and I can recommend Hempadur 15130

http://www.hempel.co.uk/en-GB/products/hempadur-15130

It is suggested that the steel should be grit blasted. Mine was 12 years ago and have since recoated 3 times. Just finished recoating but to be honest didn't need it. I had the paint and the dry dock booked and at £8 to £10 a litre no more expensive than decent vinyl tar.

Each time I just roughed up the old surface with a wire wheel in an angle grinder. Never had an issue with flaking just the scrapes and scratches to cover. I would be tempted to try this even if the hull hadn't been grit blasted. May not be ideal but still must be more resilient than bitumen or vinyl tar. #

I am tempted to try it on the base plate next time even though I have used comastic on that.

I've often thought that in this day and age there must be something better than blacking. Even vinyl tar and the two-pack I use breaks down faster than I would like.

It would be good to hear from anyone who has tried something beyond the standard coatings?

We use Leigh's (now Sherwin Williams) pitch free underwater vynal and fine it excellent.

We leave it four years between coats, use the boat lots, and its always cock on.

24 years on, basically no detectable rust yet.

Hull was gritblasted from two, two pack blast primer, epoxy Ali, sold.

Daniel

• 2 years later...
On 02/08/2015 at 21:24, tree said:

Wotcha peevil, well I have just given my boat a second coat of the Keelblack, and my oh my it is fabulous to use, as although it has a thin consistency...it goes on like a dream. Infact quite a few people have commented on how smart my boat was looking..after only one coat I have decided to give her 3 coats anyway, but comparing it another recently blacked boat..i am most impressed.

It is better to use rollers for the majority of the work, as it goes on much quickly and imo, gives a better finish.

After using the usual bitumen on various boats including my own as well as blacking hireboats, spanning over 30yrs, I can honestly say using this product has been was peasy apple sqeezy

It has made a ' oh ruddy hell I have to black the boat', a joy instead of a pain.

This will be my future choice. By the way I have no connection with the supplier, other than being a very happy customer.

I'm curious to know how the Keelblack has held up so far?

• 1 year later...