Choosing Blacking Paint.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Is there anything I should know about choosing blacking paint before I go ahead and get some.

I was going to get this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRECISION-MARINE-HULL-BLACKING-TAR-BASED-5-LITRE-CANAL-NARROW-BOAT-PAINT-/191010294764?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c7919cbec

Is there a way to know it will be compatible with our current blacking?

Thanks! Never done it before...

Doodlebug

If the current black is a mattish finish and slightly grey it could be 2 pack expoxy if it is then it will need recoating with the same stuff. Other than that if standard type it will either be bitumen based or vinyl tar. Best to find out if you can. Are there any old invoices on the boat that will give you a clue??

I've just used intertuf on mine, was offered a cheaper bitumin type for about £28 for 5 litres, but got intertuf for £110 for 3 tubs instead of £40 a tub. My reason was that the local hire company, shire, use it, their boats get a lot of hammer and they must use it for a reason, Yorkshireman are renowned for their thrift! I was told that it is more flexible, maybe it's a vinyl one? Bituminous ones are more brittle and flake off easier when bumped or scraped.

Aha!!!! ears prick up on the queries regarding that most wonderous of jobs !!! second to none to .... grrr.... cleaning out and painting the ruddy Water Tank ..shivvers ohhhh :(

anyway back on topic cool.png Blacking waht to use ????

moi boat will be heading up the river for her Blacking cosmetics next week, and although bog standard Bitumen has been my previous choice, this time moi fancied a change and has opted to try out a product called 'Keelblack' , which was advertised in a waterway magazine. I am hoping that it will stay pristine Ebony Black for longer than the previous Bitumen did, as moi is a fanatically proud shiny boater ( ta OCD rolleyes.gif

Intertuf.

Don't mess about with stuff that may not stick. It's a big effort to get out the boat and a dirty job to do, so it's not worth saving a few quid and taking the risk on a cheap product.

Their is the Bridge Repellant Paint LOL laugh.png

New SuperIntertuf - No more Bridges, i could see that on QVC bullshit channel.

How about paint designed for icebreakers? Recommended by a marine engineer friend of ours. Should cope with the rigours of the Trent and Mersey.

http://www.international-marine.com/literature/intershield_163_inerta_160.pdf

How about paint designed for icebreakers? Recommended by a marine engineer friend of ours. Should cope with the rigours of the Trent and Mersey. http://www.international-marine.com/literature/intershield_163_inerta_160.pdf

Pack size 30 litres

Coverage 2 sq.m. per litre

Abrasive preparation?

How much is 30 litres?

Could be worth it!

Pack size 30 litres

Coverage 2 sq.m. per litre

Abrasive preparation?

How much is 30 litres?

Could be worth it!

I've often thought that in this day and age there must be something better than blacking. Even vinyl tar and the two-pack I use breaks down faster than I would like.

It would be good to hear from anyone who has tried something beyond the standard coatings?

BTW I once encountered a chap at Thorne who was sticking 1ft squares of roofing felt to his hull sides. His logic was that it waterproofs his shed roof so it would waterproof the hull - in theory, but he was happy

I've often thought that in this day and age there must be something better than blacking. Even vinyl tar and the two-pack I use breaks down faster than I would like.

It would be good to hear from anyone who has tried something beyond the standard coatings?

BTW I once encountered a chap at Thorne who was sticking 1ft squares of roofing felt to his hull sides. His logic was that it waterproofs his shed roof so it would waterproof the hull - in theory, but he was happy

I have used Zinga with tar fee imo blacking has dried soooo hard that when I hit a bridge it just knocks it down clapping.gif

Peter

Intertuf.

Don't mess about with stuff that may not stick. It's a big effort to get out the boat and a dirty job to do, so it's not worth saving a few quid and taking the risk on a cheap product.

One could use the same rationale about using any bitumen paint. It doesn't last long whatever brand you use. Some people deliberately use basic cheap bitumen paint and say it lasts the same few years as the expensive stuff.

I got my old rylards bitumen grit blasted off and used Jotamastic 87 epoxy this time.

Edited by blackrose

One could use the same rationale about using any bitumen paint. It doesn't last long whatever brand you use. Some people deliberately use basic cheap bitumen paint and say it lasts the same few years as the expensive stuff.

I got my old rylards bitumen grit blasted off and used Jotamastic 87 epoxy this time.

If someone is trying to save a couple of tenners on blacking, they ain't gonna shot blast it.

Edited by mark99

I have no clue how old school bitumen behaves under water, but it sure does dry out and hold water behind it on chasis.

Is Tar Vinyl better than 2 pack under water, i know 2k is ok on cars but i dont have a clue how it works underwater or how hard it is to rework when blacking.

frusty.gif confused.com

Edited by brassedoff

Rubberised floor paint then boat bounces off bridges.

Ok serious here 2 pack if pressure washed at 2 years is it expected to stay on and can another coat be put on top ?

If someone is trying to save a couple of tenners on blacking, they ain't gonna shot blast it.

You missed my point. I was saying that if you're using bitumen paint it isn't going to last very long anyway so some say you may as well save some money and not bother with the expensive stuff. The other way to go is get rid of the bitumen completely and spend some money on grit blasting and proper paint. Two different approaches.

Thanks for all the replies, I have now narrowed it down to midland chandlers own brand at 30 pounds or another brand i'm not sure of (I only rang the chandlery for a price and they did not tell me the brand) for 17.

Is there much difference between makes. Shall I just go for the cheap stuff.

Thanks for pointing out that 40 pounds is expensive - i just assumed ebay would be cheapest!

Aha!!!! ears prick up on the queries regarding that most wonderous of jobs !!! second to none to .... grrr.... cleaning out and painting the ruddy Water Tank ..shivvers ohhhh sad.png

anyway back on topic cool.png Blacking waht to use ????

moi boat will be heading up the river for her Blacking cosmetics next week, and although bog standard Bitumen has been my previous choice, this time moi fancied a change and has opted to try out a product called 'Keelblack' , which was advertised in a waterway magazine. I am hoping that it will stay pristine Ebony Black for longer than the previous Bitumen did, as moi is a fanatically proud shiny boater ( ta OCD rolleyes.gif

I read about this and it looks interesting, they say it sticks really well, I may give it a go also.