Exhaust Gardners

mark99

Featured Posts

Hmmm, I think an expansion box would need to be 6" to 8" in diameter to have a noticeable effect on the sound...

As mentioned earlier in the thread there are two boats next to me with Gardners without silencers. They sound bassier. Their riser pipes are 2".

Not looking for DB's as such - just a better tone.

ETA the Gardner manual suggest a 2/12" exhaust to keep back pressure down to about 10" WG - bearing in mind boat exhausts are quite short.

Edited by mark99

In situ. Will need wrapping and I may reinstall brass guard. Much better sound - sounds like a proper slow revving beast. I did reduce the tickover a smidge too.

20150801_120647_zpsfgf4pe3y.jpg

Short video with sound. As said the sound is not too much louder but is bassier. I tried the 2" pipe but the 3" one has a better "thunk thunk".

http://vid844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/mark99_2010_01/My%20Movie_zpsrq00bict.mp4

I would suggest anyone with a silencer on their Gardner remove it and try a straight through exhaust....... that includes Mike and Matt!

Edited by mark99

I think it makes the most dreadful staccato banging, rattling and jangling bloomin racket. If that thing came banging and rattling past me while I was having a nap, I'd be up and toss a petrol bomb into the exhaust pipe. Stick a big silencer back on it for goodness sake. The waterways are supposed to be peaceful. Suppose vehicles went up and down the street with no silencers, awful. smile.png

Edited by bizzard

I think it makes the most dreadful staccato banging, rattling and jangling bloomin racket. If that thing came banging and rattling past me while I was having a nap, I'd be up and toss a petrol bomb into the exhaust pipe. Stick a big silencer back on it for goodness sake. The waterways are supposed to be peaceful. Suppose vehicles went up and down the street with no silencers, awful. smile.png

The Stort becons next year...... I fancy a bit of night cruising too. Only past your boat mind. :)

I totally get this , the first priority is always good combustion but after that a bit of tuning for sound is a good plan. We spend a lot of the day listening to our engine when travelling.

Old Harry the HR is fairly well silenced and that suits me .

Bizzard , my cousins applied quite a lot of effort to getting their motorbikes to sound right back in the day.

Edited by madcat

Hi Mark,

Sounds good, take care with a low engine tickover - try for Gardner's recommended 320rpm, if it gets too low it's easy to damage the PRM gearbox due to low hydraulic oil pressure. Low tickover not recommended for 'slow' use in gear for long periods..................?

How does it sound with a long pipe?

Mike.

Hi Mark,

Sounds good, take care with a low engine tickover - try for Gardner's recommended 320rpm, if it gets too low it's easy to damage the PRM gearbox due to low hydraulic oil pressure. Low tickover not recommended for 'slow' use in gear for long periods..................?

How does it sound with a long pipe?

Mike.

You can gauge the rpm on the clip - it's about 10 seconds long *12 = rpm.

Long pipe - does muffle it a bit. :)

You can gauge the rpm on the clip - it's about 10 seconds long *12 = rpm.

Long pipe - does muffle it a bit. smile.png

Err.. I ran out of finger and toes ----------------- 27? -------- *12 =====324?.

Sounds good, how about inside the engine room?.

The Stort becons next year...... I fancy a bit of night cruising too. Only past your boat mind. smile.png

Oh Lord!! Announce the fact on here Mark old chap please and I'll scuttle back into our secret private waters and have me ear muffs ready. sad.pngmellow.pngsmile.png

I totally get this , the first priority is always good combustion but after that a bit of tuning for sound is a good plan. We spend a lot of the day listening to our engine when travelling.

Old Harry the HR is fairly well silenced and that suits me .

Bizzard , my cousins applied quite a lot of effort to getting their motorbikes to sound right back in the day.

So did I but I wasn't a moaning old codger back then. mellow.png

Err.. I ran out of finger and toes ----------------- 27? -------- *12 =====324?.

Sounds good, how about inside the engine room?.

Mike - it sounds absolutely no different inside the boat.

I made it 336 which I'm ok with as it was dragging a 140 rated amp alt on tickover.

Edited by mark99

I may end up with a spare perforated brass heat shield which will go round a 6" pipe. If you are interested.

Thank you for the offer, but it's beginning to look as though Reginald won't be having any pipes that small!!

;)

Thank you for the offer, but it's beginning to look as though Reginald won't be having any pipes that small!!

wink.png

Ok it's 7" ID - see it next to new one but it would mean Brasso which is prolly the real deal-breaker! . I've eaten apple so you can have the other fruit. :)

20150810_172604_resized_zps4fvpb5kb.jpg