Bilge Pump Stopped Working

Featured Posts

Hi

Cleaning out my narrow boat bilge I noticed that the Lubase Automatic Bilge pump was a bit gunged up with grease so I cleaned it up to look like new and all looked fine until I tested it. Nothing.

Hooking up a spare manual bilge pump all ok so I know it is not a wiring or fuse issue?

Perhaps I have disturbed the integrated float mechanism in some way, perhaps getting some grease into it during the cleaning process?

Any ideas on how to bring this pump back to life please as only had it fitted for just over a year.

Thanks in anticipation of any help.

I had one fail with a stuck brush in the motor. It had been fitted for just under a year, but had had very little use. (fitted in cabin bilge)

The motor unit was glued together as a sealed unit, so the cure was a bit complicated, involving a hacksaw to take the top off, the manufacture of mechanical attachments to hold it back on again and reassembly with a rubber seal.

It still works ....

Iain

The solid state level sensors used on Rule pumps seem not to like too much grease. When the automatic function (I have manual overide switch) started playing up, I wiped sensor clean, filled bilge with warm water and detergent, then flushed out. Seems fine now.

I wouldn't bother. Having had 2 narrowboats since 1986. First one for 13 years and the second for 16 years and neither had a bilge pump they are over rated better to cure the problem rather then apathy and just pump out.

I wouldn't bother. Having had 2 narrowboats since 1986. First one for 13 years and the second for 16 years and neither had a bilge pump they are over rated better to cure the problem rather then apathy and just pump out.

Thanks for that, it raises an interesting point in that I read somewhere that it is good for a rotating prop to have a slight drip as it is a cooling factor so the water has to be over boarded somehow and an automatic function is an asset when cruising for hours on end. I have heard some boaters say that there should be no drips from the stern gland. Which is right?

Thanks for that, it raises an interesting point in that I read somewhere that it is good for a rotating prop to have a slight drip as it is a cooling factor so the water has to be over boarded somehow and an automatic function is an asset when cruising for hours on end. I have heard some boaters say that there should be no drips from the stern gland. Which is right?

A stern tube should be drip-free when the boat is moored (assuming that you have greased the tube after stopping for the night). A slight steady drip is normal when running. If you have more than a steady drip it might be time to tighten or re-pack the gland.

Edited to add: If tightening the stern gland don't overdo it. The nuts shouldn't be much more than hand tight.

Edited by PhilR

Whilst there are boats that employ water lubricated cutless bearings, they have a feed pressurised by the forward movement of the boat, with a flow measured in gallons per hour. An occasional drip from a grease lubricated bearing would have zero effect on cooling and would not be needed anyway. An occasional drip whilst propshaft is turning is a healthy indication the stern gland has not been over tightened though.

The Lubase bilge pump is new to me and it is not obvious from their Taiwan website if the automatic version uses a float switch or an electronic (capacitive) sensor but it looks likely to be electronic. Be aware that a float or automatic switch will not reduce the bilge water level as low as a manual switch.

Having used small 'Rule' pumps for many years I invested in an automatic (electronic) version. After three months of daily use it failed even on 'manual'. Turning it upside-down it would run - indicating a brush problem. Returning it, via the vendor, to the manufacturer a FOC replacement was obtained after a month but failed with the same symptoms after six months use.

My current, main bilge pump is branded 'Johnston'; it is not as neatly packaged as the Lubase or the Rule but it has lasted for two years so far. Punt £50 on a new bilge pump.

Alan

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Great News

Pump running fine once again.

I disconnected the pump, undid the small screw that acted as a stop to the square float falling out, took out the float cleaned it and the float chamber with some baby wipes wrapped round a thin knife, then into some hot soapy water and hey presto it now works a treat.

Many thanks for all your advice. That has just saved me a few quid!

The Lubase bilge pump is new to me and it is not obvious from their Taiwan website if the automatic version uses a float switch or an electronic (capacitive) sensor but it looks likely to be electronic. Be aware that a float or automatic switch will not reduce the bilge water level as low as a manual switch.

Having used small 'Rule' pumps for many years I invested in an automatic (electronic) version. After three months of daily use it failed even on 'manual'. Turning it upside-down it would run - indicating a brush problem. Returning it, via the vendor, to the manufacturer a FOC replacement was obtained after a month but failed with the same symptoms after six months use.

My current, main bilge pump is branded 'Johnston'; it is not as neatly packaged as the Lubase or the Rule but it has lasted for two years so far. Punt £50 on a new bilge pump.

Alan

Alan

IIrc Johnston used to be an american company, some years back were sort of the Rolls Royce of lumpy water boat bilge pumps. Haven't had any dealings with them for 15 or so years now, so can't comment on the modern ones, or who or where they are now made, but if they retain any of the quality of the old 'uns thatrs the way to go.

Agreed, there are two bilge pumps on our boat, and neither of them has been used in 18 years, I do occassionally switch them on temporariliy to test them but that is it.

I just have an old ice cream tub under the stern tube to catch the drips and then empty out occasionally

Same here.

Edited by David Schweizer