Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Loddon

Vulcan

Featured Posts

Saw it this afternoon over by Fenny Compton. Watched it turn over Gaydon and then head out over Fenny Compton / Wormleighton. Superb aircraft, and what a sound!

Heard a rumour that there are plans to get Concorde flying again...

Just saw it at Old Warden today. Beautiful sight, surely she will fly again....never say never..

Sadly it's a long & VERY expensive long shot, some air frame components are hours expired & as I understand there are no replacement sub assemblies & to reproduce ( If possible drawings etc.)the price would be telephone directory numbers x 1000's some thing a private consortium relying on donations would have a deal of difficulty raising, which is a great shame, the problem being, a Spitfire, or other fighter warbird is a possibilty for a single owner or a small group the Vulcan requires a large group to support it, even to just start it up costs an arm & a leg I live in hope the Vulcan can be brought up to airworthy condition & I hope the Mosquito restoration will be successful, although I'm not to hopeful.

Thanks for the heads up yesterday and for those clips Jake. So sad to see her grounded but, at 2 million a year to keep her flying, rather inevitable I suppose.

Not quite yet grounded. The "final" tour is scheduled for this coming weekend, 10th/11th October,one day covering the north and one day covering the south.

Flight schedules are due to be released later today.

Flight schedules are now expected late tomorrow as more locations are added. Provisionally it will be the North on Saturday 10th and the South on Sunday 11th.

I put a funding option to the VTTS group and felt very shabbily treated, they can't do that too often before money dries up.

The trouble with airframes is that they have to pass some pretty significant checks every so many hours flying, and the cost to pass these is unknown each time, and without the airworthy plane the pilot's display type rating will expire.

(Can't find the Vulcan D Check!)

The official line is that the companies that provide the back room support for the Vulcan have pulled the plug because they no longer have the resources to do the job. People have taken their retirement pots and left the stage!

Flight schedules are now expected late tomorrow as more locations are added. Provisionally it will be the North on Saturday 10th and the South on Sunday 11th.

I hope we are still on the flight path, rumours that changes are afoot make me think we will miss out.

The routes for this weekend have now been released, subject to air traffic control (and of course the weather)

Take off both days is scheduled for around lunchtime. The final timings will be released on Friday.

It is also intended that two further flights will take place late in October.

Northern Route - Saturday 10th October

Doncaster - take-off, South Gainsborough, Brough, Menwith Hill, Leeming, Durham Tees Valley Airport, Newcastle Airport, Eshott Airfield, Alnwick, East Fortune, Dalkeith, Carlisle Airport, Head of Thirlmere, Bowness on Windermere, Barnoldswick, North of Clitheroe, Salmesbury, Warton Aerodrome, Chadderton, Outskirts of Manchester Airport, Woodford, RAF Cosford, Hold for East Midlands, Rolls Royce - Derby, Doncaster - return

Southern Route - Sunday 11th October

Doncaster - Take-off, RAF Waddington, Rutland Water, North Weald, Gravesend, Whistable, Herne Bay, Manston, Dover, Ashford, Dunsfold, Farnborough, Popham VRP, Middle Wallop, Old Sarum, Bristol Airport, Severn Bridges, Filton, Flat Holm Lighthouse VRP, Cardiff Airport, St Athan, Llandegfedd Reservoir, Staverton - Gloucester Airport, RAF Brize Norton, Bicester, Wellesbourne, Bruntingthorpe, Newark, Doncaster - to land

Looks like it's Bruntingthorpe for me, I saw it's first post restoration flight from near there, and again this Summer, might as well see one of its last from there as well.

Very disappointed that we have been removed from the flight path, hope that they do a coastal flight of the UK and we get to see the old girl one last time.

Still my favourite boat. ninja.gif

The latest flight times to co-ordinate with Geoff's map 2 posts up.

A tour of south England today, passing Gravesend at 1.25pm, Bristol at 14.50, Banbury at about 3.50 and Newark at 16.20.

Came directly over my mooring near Nantwich yesterday. Awesome sight; I've loved this thing since I had a poster of it on my wall when I was 11.

It Flew over Ironbridge yesterday, Just off to see Tornado on the Severn Valley Railway. All good stuff.

I missed it. Drat. Allegedly it flew low over where we are moored in Alrewas. I heard it. Margaret saw it as she was walking to the bus stop.

We were not planning to "chase" the Vulcan but found ourselves leaving Nottingham at a time that put us very close to EMA within half an hour of it's planned arrival there.

We found a verge to park on and joined the throng of people on the embankment at the end of the runway and waited. Then in the distance we saw it, it started to turn towards us but didn't turn far enough and continued on it's course so all we saw was a delta shaped speck on the horizon.

Today we went over to Calf Heath to see some old friends and they were telling us how it flew over there yesterday as we sat down to lunch with them. Then Dave checked the internet to have a look how today's "southern" trip was going to find the had added in another pass of EMA. We said goodbye to our friends and hit the motorway (hard) and hoped. I think we arrived 3 minutes after it's scheduled time but it had been early and so we didn't even come close to seeing it.

I just hope there is not a speeding ticket in the post ;)

Gutted we missed it as we was told it would not be far from us in North Manchester, about 3pm, i was that busy sanding the boat i forgot to look out,

Sign in to follow this