Replacing a Narrowboat Engine

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm looking at buying a narrowboat, but its original engine - a keel cooled Yanmar 4TNE84 diesel engine - has packed in. Seems there was a problem with the coolant pipe, which caused damage probably to one or more of the pistons or the block, but maybe to something else - rebuilding it failed to fix the problem. Anyway, it's out of action and my engineer friend recommends scrapping it and replacing it.

I'm new to boating (I thought about putting this in the New To Boating forum, but thought this probably made more sense) and wanted to get some advice on replacing an engine. What kind of money should I be expecting to pay to buy and install a decent engine in a 55' narrowboat? What kind of timescale would be sensible for getting a replacement and getting it fitted? What sort of trade-offs might I be making if I really wanted it replaced within a month, say?

And can anyone recommend someone to fit it in Edinburgh or surrounds?

Thanks a lot!

For a new engine you might be looking at about £4- 5k plus fitting. Perhaps £1-2k for a good reconditioned engine.

What's so special about that boat? Why take on someone else's problem and give yourself the headache? There are thousands of boats on the market with working engines.

Have you priced up a new Yanmar 4TNE84 diesel engine yet ?

The nearest I could find was a 5000hr 4 cyl Yanmar for £ 2500. Add £2k+ for labour - another £500+ if a new prop is needed, more £££ if more skin cooling is needed.

Around 1 month to fit, given that other work might be needed.

I guess you can always pay more for a faster, exclusive job.

I trust the boat is cheap enough to factor in a new engine ?

The nearest I could find was a 5000hr 4 cyl Yanmar for £ 2500. Add £2k+ for labour - another £500+ if a new prop is needed, more £££ if more skin cooling is needed.

Are the labour, new prop costs and 1 month timescale assuming the same engine, or a different engine?

The first thing someone who buys a narrowboat (in general) wants to do, is to move it to their own location (or their desired location).

Narrowboats with broken engines are notoriously hard to sell - I guess the seller has reduced the value significantly. It will also narrow the boat's appeal - who wants to take on a boat which needs possibly a month's work and can't move from its location until that's done. So the question is, has the selling price been reduced (enough) to reflect this hassle?

. A month to fit it come on, 2k labour really, if it was my boat I would be looking at a weekend to swap like for like engine,s over and I,m only a hobby mechanic, maybe a day or two to get all the plumbing done, week max to do it myself and get it running nice, boat owners seem to be a captive audience that just expect to be ripped off, I have a friend with a vaxhaul combi diesel van, recon engine supplied and fitted a grand, that is far more complex than a boat, you literally have fuel and electrics to disconnected and four engine mount bolts max,

. A month to fit it come on, 2k labour really, if it was my boat I would be looking at a weekend to swap like for like engine,s over and I,m only a hobby mechanic, maybe a day or two to get all the plumbing done, week max to do it myself and get it running nice, boat owners seem to be a captive audience that just expect to be ripped off, I have a friend with a vaxhaul combi diesel van, recon engine supplied and fitted a grand, that is far more complex than a boat, you literally have fuel and electrics to disconnected and four engine mount bolts max,

If its like for like I think that is about right. The biggest problem could be the actual lifting and if its all boxed in. Cruiser stern undo the bolts, take the pipes and wires off and lift it out with a Telehandler forklift.

If its like for like I think that is about right. The biggest problem could be the actual lifting and if its all boxed in. Cruiser stern undo the bolts, take the pipes and wires off and lift it out with a Telehandler forklift.

Boatyards tend to have facilities for fitting/removing engines from boats, making it a non-issue. True if its a DIYer its going to be an issue but a little thought would get round it. For example on a semi-trad stern making a sturdy support on the cabin sides and a chain/pulley arrangement, then putting a thick board under old engine ouce out, then wiggling it out of enclosed area and off the boat onto the towpath would be quite achievable.

Boatyards tend to have facilities for fitting/removing engines from boats, making it a non-issue. True if its a DIYer its going to be an issue but a little thought would get round it. For example on a semi-trad stern making a sturdy support on the cabin sides and a chain/pulley arrangement, then putting a thick board under old engine ouce out, then wiggling it out of enclosed area and off the boat onto the towpath would be quite achievable.

You are absolutely right. I've done it at least 5 times with planks, wedges, terrible old car jacks and never once dropped one in the canal. The tricky bit is connecting up all the pipes, wires and prop shaft but if its an identical engine its easy, if its a different engine its still not rocket science.

Did the old engine fail because of a problem with the skin cooling tanks? They are often too small for extended hard running such as when punching the current or tide on rivers. If so you need to factor in getting this sorted as well as replacing the engine.

But if you can get an identical engine, or perhaps an exchange reconditioned unit, then you can probably reuse the old gearbox and other marinisation parts, without needing to change much else.

Frankly, if you are new to boating and have to ask these questions you would be better off finding a boat with a working engine. What looks like a bargain now could easily tun into a financial nightmare.

I've just had the engine replaced in REGINALD. It took nine months.

Things didn't go quite to plan. A bit of extra work turned out to be necessary...

IMG_1179_zps3hgootqu.jpg

Did you not consider lifting the Engine out rather than lowering it through the bottom of the Boat?

would have saved a good deal of time

CT

Hmm it's far quicker to drop the motor out thru the bottom. It's how it's done on current generation motors every day of the week. E-type even quicker though we take them out thru the front. Have seen it done in 40 mins flat. Replacement took three times that though.

Hmm it's far quicker to drop the motor out thru the bottom. It's how it's done on current generation motors every day of the week. E-type even quicker though we take them out thru the front. Have seen it done in 40 mins flat. Replacement took three times that though.

40 mins? 42 seconds more like!