Hi! Residential Moorings in The Black Country?

Rich91

Featured Posts

Hello Everybody!

My names Rich, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm looking to get a Narrowboat to live aboard full time within the next year and I'll need a residential mooring somewhere around Sandwell, Dudley or perhaps just outside either as I currently work full time but I'm having trouble finding any anywhere, let alone in a viable location. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to start looking or who would be good to talk to that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Everybody!

My names Rich, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm looking to get a Narrowboat to live aboard full time within the next year and I'll need a residential mooring somewhere around Sandwell, Dudley or perhaps just outside either as I currently work full time but I'm having trouble finding any anywhere, let alone in a viable location. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to start looking or who would be good to talk to that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Its hard enough to find any residential moorings but it may help if you can list what are 'must haves' as some moorings are simply rings in the bank and no facilities anywhere near.

Example of potential 'must haves' close by or on the mooring itself :-

car parking

water

electricity

security

toilet emptying

shops

diesel

coal

There does seem to be a shortage of residential moorings everywhere, and the Black Country is no exception. Coombeswood Canal Trust (Hawne basin), Withymoor island, Stourbridge town arm spring to mind but I suspect they are all full with long waiting lists. In Brum there is the engine arm as mentioned, Ocker Hill, Hockley Port, Gas St and (at a price) Sherborne Wharf (but do they do residential?) Perhaps you should consider a mooring that is not officially residential? Typically if you take the boat our from time to time and can have a land based correspondence address (relatives etc) then you can be on the boat in the marina / mooring for most of the year, and taking the boat out of the marina for a few weekends and holidays keeps it "legal".

I'd recommend Fazeley Mill Marina at Fazeley (Tamworth) but that is probably too far away for you.

By the way, as no-one's said it yet, Welcome to the forum!

Edited by nicknorman