Glass Mushrooms

Oliver

Featured Posts

Was in Tradline Fenders at Braunston last week chatting to the guys there.

They are bringing in a new range of stuff including some 'Glass Mushrooms'. These looked a good idea to me and might be worth some people's consideration if you are currently fitting out.

Basically, these are along the lines of a normal brass mushroom but with the centre of the top being made out of (toughened?) glass.

Struck me that if you were having just portholes, and wanted to get a bit more light in, these would help and you would still have your ventilation. don't know if you would get the same sort of problems as with the prism things which can focus sunlight and burn.

Was in Tradline Fenders at Braunston last week chatting to the guys there.

They are bringing in a new range of stuff including some 'Glass Mushrooms'.  These looked a good idea to me and might be worth some people's consideration if you are currently fitting out. 

Basically, these are along the lines of a normal brass mushroom but with the centre of the top being made out of (toughened?) glass.

Struck me that if you were having just portholes, and wanted to get a bit more light in, these would help and you would still have your ventilation.  don't know if you would get the same sort of problems as with the prism things which can focus sunlight and burn.

Previous enquires by myself about similar glass lights have resulted in the comment, yes they are fine until the sun really does shine through. If they dont fade the wall/carpet/chair they could cause a serious scorch mark. Bearing in mind I am really looking forward to global warming, because I like the sun and the warmth. I decided not to go with button/mushroom glass.

Cheers

Previous enquires by myself about similar glass lights have resulted in the comment, yes they are fine until the sun really does shine through. If they dont fade the wall/carpet/chair they could cause a serious scorch mark. Bearing in mind I am really looking forward to global warming, because I like the sun and the warmth. I decided not to go with button/mushroom glass.

Cheers

Fyneladye

Are you thinking of bullseyes I believe that these have caused fires

Does sound like they could cause problems. There was a documentary on about fire investigation the other week, where someones small roof light had caused curtains to ingite because of intense sunshine. It destroyed her room.

I would have thought that BSS would have something to say?

Jon

Does sound like they could cause problems. There was a documentary on about fire investigation the other week, where someones small roof light had caused curtains to ingite because of intense sunshine. It destroyed her room.

I would have thought that BSS would have something to say?

Jon

perhaps it would be a good idea to remove all the windows and block them up just in case the burning hot british sun causes my boat to spontaneously combust

I think I should remove the glass sunroof on my car as well in case it fades my seats or makes the petrol tank explode

The above concerns glass that focuses the sun. i.e.prisms. These tend to be round and mounted in the roof of narrow boats etc. these were meant to spread the light around the cabin but some were fitted upside down and caused at least Two fires that were reported in the press. Having not seen the new mushroom ones I would not like to comment on there safety.