Living on the river Stort

HOMETUNEDAVE

Featured Posts

I will soon be living on the river Stort in my widebeam, I have a home mooring a Sawbridgeworth but the only facilities will be water so will need pump out fuel etc was wondering if people living on the Stort could tell me what it's like living on the river, (I see the pump out at the Moorhen is not working at the moment).

Dave

I will soon be living on the river Stort in my widebeam, I have a home mooring a Sawbridgeworth but the only facilities will be water so will need pump out fuel etc was wondering if people living on the Stort could tell me what it's like living on the river, (I see the pump out at the Moorhen is not working at the moment).

Dave

Sounds like a self Pumpout kit might be an investment .

I've no idea about the Stort or your level of experience, so please forgive me if this isn't relevant to you. But, while just about anyone can live on canal all year round, living on a river is a bit more challenging. I hope you've thought about this aspect as well as available facilities.

Also, get a cassette! tongue.png

Sounds like a self Pumpout kit might be an investment .

To pump the waste where? huh.png

Edited by blackrose

I've no idea about the Stort or your level of experience, so please forgive me if this isn't relevant to you. But, while just about anyone can live on canal all year round, living on a river is a bit more challenging. I hope you've thought about this aspect as well as available facilities.

Also, get a cassette! :P

To pump the waste where? :huh:

Containers and then take to elsan or any sewage outlet perhaps a friends house. Lift inspection cover empty containers.

The OP might need a lot of containers depending on how big the pump-out tank is. Many people don't like self-pump out kits because elsan points weren't designed for that much waste at once, and also because some people use them to pump out into the waterways.

You might bump into me. sad.png It's a lovely river, but can rise with a strong current after prolonged or heavy rain. A cassette toilet is a must if the river freezes.

Apart from the Moorhen there's a Paygo pump out machine at the sanitary station at B.Stortford but is often out of order. Also Little Hallingbury marina where pump out, coal, fuel and gas small chandeliers and dry dock is available.

By the far the best place for all coal fuels, logs ect is 'Bayfords' a proper coal merchant at Grinstead lane Little Hallingbury, they will deliver to boats if close by a road or road bridge.. Watch your head room, ''low bridges''. Good luck and enjoy.