Drones

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

I am quite keen to get some aerial photos of my boat during my summer trips, especially while crossing the Wash.

So: has anyone managed to land a helicopter drone camera on a moving narrowboat, without it getting wet? Which model (sensible prices only please!)? How?

Plan B: use my shaft as a rather large selfie stick, and a radio controlled trigger for my camera

Plan C: helium filled balloon, and a radio controlled trigger for my camera

Plan D: ask the RAF nicely to take some reconnaissance photos - we are going quite close (but not too close) to the bombing range at RAF Holbeach

Friend on mine had a small single rotor heli (non drone) and landed it on our roof about four times before a heavy landed occurred due to issues with the heli and it bounced into the drink.... it didn't float.

Daniel

landing any sort of drone on a moving boat will be down to the skill of the pilot, you won't be able to rely on any of the auto-land features since you are trying to hit a moving target.

there tend to be 2 variants of the auto landing systems...

1. Return to the takeoff position and land (guided by gps), this would be disastrous since your boat will not be there any more

2. Land in the exact spot they are hovering in (position held by gps / gyros / accelerometers), hope your boat is still under it by the time it descends

I successfully landed a Sea King helicopter on the deck of an aircraft carrier that was going full speed in a very heavy sea and a blizzard.Minutes before that I was flying down the Llanberis Pass in Snowdonia at 100ft. In truth, I was aboard the RAF SK flight simulator at St Mawgan in Cornwall. Great fun but it made me feel a bit queazylaugh.png

I would make up a mast with a long pole secured by rigging of some sort and put the camera on the top pointing towards the helmsman. Using the shaft could be a bit awkward I feel. Not sure how to arrange a remote control for the camera though. Maybe record a video and take still off it with a computer afterwards?

I like the idea

I would make up a mast with a long pole secured by rigging of some sort and put the camera on the top pointing towards the helmsman. Using the shaft could be a bit awkward I feel. Not sure how to arrange a remote control for the camera though. Maybe record a video and take still off it with a computer afterwards?

I like the idea

Yes, that's a fifth option. A remote control for the camera is feasible, I think - either mechanical or radio.

dscf5241.jpg

. Not sure how to arrange a remote control for the camera though.

A lot would depend on the camera. My current camera has both wireless remote and a switch which plugs into a simple jack socket and can easily have extensions added.

My previous camera had to use an external frame with a "spike" which pressed the button when you squeezed a sort of balloon thing compressing the air. That worked 20 feet away.

if you have a canon camera look into CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit), it's temporary replacement firmware for your camera that allows much more than the original.

I have used it on my old canon 340 (point n shoot digital) to allow timelapse photography (taking a picture every X seconds) and low light stuff (exposure times of over a minute on a digital camera)

Google Lilly drone camera. Very impressive

The video looks impressive, but it's a crowd-funded project and delivery isn't expected until February 2016 at the earliest. There are also question marks about whether the footage in the promotional video was actually shot from a Lily camera, or an existing radio controlled camera. It also has no obstacle avoidance system and a non-changeable battery.

We have a drone, and I'm planning to use it on the Llangollen canal, but I'll have to wait until my children arrive to fly it because I'm not much good at doing anything other than crashing it. smile.png

I have a DJI Phantom with a GoPro Hero 4. Still and video images are superb. It is simplicity itself to fly and operate. It can either fly pre-programmed sorties via the iPad or manually using the hand held remote, similar to R/C model aircraft.

I use the latter as it is more fun, has real time camera to handset video playback (and telemetry of height/speed/direction/battery status etc) and is much more precise. As for landing it on the roof of my narrowboat, it is quite easy, but depends on any wind that may well affect it. Its undercarriage is quite narrow so could tip over quite easily, especially if your roof is curved like mine. Expensive if it falls in the cut! I invariably hand catch it now which is simplicity itself. Just bring it near by you and auto hover it (simply by taking your fingers off the remote control sticks) at about 6 or 7 feet off the ground and simply reach out and grasp it.

I would guess that in your case, if you wanted to use it to take aerial pics or video of you crossing the Wash, unless it was flat calm, recovering it onboard could be a little trickey. I would think you would have to be stationary and then the hand recovery technique would work OK.

Ken

Camera on a kite?

Helium baloons?

Or maybe you could procure a pigeon or a seagull or what not and gaffa tape the camera to him and tie him to a string attached to your boat.You would probably need to keep a cat or a mountain lion or some kind of ferocious beast on the roof incase the bird tries to land and spoil the film.

By all means do not attempt to use a swallow anybody who has seen monthy python will know why.

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?

King Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

King Arthur: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here?

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?

King Arthur: Please!

I am quite keen to get some aerial photos of my boat during my summer trips, especially while crossing the Wash.

So: has anyone managed to land a helicopter drone camera on a moving narrowboat, without it getting wet? Which model (sensible prices only please!)? How?

Plan B: use my shaft as a rather large selfie stick, and a radio controlled trigger for my camera

Plan C: helium filled balloon, and a radio controlled trigger for my camera

Plan D: ask the RAF nicely to take some reconnaissance photos - we are going quite close (but not too close) to the bombing range at RAF Holbeach

You need HIM, yes him. Nick Norman.

A friend of mine that goes skiing a lot told me about one for skiers, the skier wears a watch type of device on the wrist and the drone just follows the watch thingy, giving them a full video of there down hill exploits , then returns to you at the end, think he said it was around £350