Converted LPG Oven In Boats

Featured Posts

Hello,

I plan to buy a standard natural gas oven and have the nozzles converted for LPG use. These ovens usually have a 240V socket aswell to power the timer, fan etc. Does this need to be plugged in or can I just run off LPG & no power?

Regards

Mitch

Even my LPG oven requires 230v for fans and ignition Can't light oven without it, hob is OK runs fine on inverter which has to be switched out of powersave mode.

Edited by Loddon

I have a Bompani oven which is LPG in the first place, needs no leccy and is shallower front-to-back than a household cooker, so more suitable for a narrowboat.

But I've just noticed you said an oven, not a cooker. All ovens have flame supervision. Any oven needing 240v will be for a fan, so 'YES' and 'NO' are the answers to your two questions.

As said, you definitely need to have the fan running and so it must be plugged into mains. However it won't use much power so if your boat doesn't have a "proper" inverter, you could probably get away with a cheap portable inverter from Maplins etc.

Personally I prefer appliances on boats that aren't "multi-system dependent" (in other words simple!) So I wouldn't want an oven that requires LPG and a mains supply to work. My gas hob is plugged into the mains and the ignition works from my inverter for example. But if for some reason the inverter isn't working I can still light the hob manually. If a LPG oven won't work at all without mains then it's the wrong model for a boat in my opinion.

Edited by blackrose

Thanks for the replies, the issue with finding an oven the solely runs on LPG is the difference in price! There seem to be people selling 12v >240v small inverters just for powering an oven so that will do me fine I think.

Thanks for all the suggestions