Railings for Marple aqueduct - whats next?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

On 12/06/2019 at 09:34, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I agree that CaRT are in a no win position with Ealth'n'Safety. Their approach seems to be to go completely over the top on a few high profile sites and hope that the rest is ignored. Things like water seeping on to lock stairs and making them lethally slippery can be seen all over the system. The big problem is that the canals were designed centuries before the safety of the work force was even a consideration, let alone random members of the public, who were, as you say, not allowed on the network. Just another example, only a few miles from the Pontycsyllte aquaduct. Towards the end of the Llangollen canal, it is built on an embankment for stretches, with a stone wall up to 30' high. The parapet edging the towpath on these walls is only about two feet high, see picture below, and people could easily tumble over if they stumbled in to it. The numbers of people walking this stretch of towpath has to be amongst the highest on the system Obviously the parapet is far too low, compared with contemporary practice. I see no plans to increase the height of these and it probably won't happen until someone gets killed.

If hobby inland boating was only started now, rather than a continuation of decades of experience, then the public would never be allowed to operate locks on their own, without at least life jackets, helmets, safety footwear, a training course and an exam.

JenDSCN0466.JPG.cc6f1ff4dd575ed15b44563b9381c739.JPG

Wasn'tthere a case recently of someone's dog jumping over the low wall.  Owner tried to sue CRT.

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:05, billh said:

I. W. Boulton was related to the steam engine builder in Birmingham. His premises in Ashton Under Lyne eventually became the National Gas & Oil Engine Company works where our beloved National D2s were made. Much of the " Nash" still exists but subdivided into units.

Just because I was passing today, here are a couple of pictures of the "Nash"

Nash1.jpg

Nash2.jpg

Nash3.jpg

• Greenie 1