Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
pete harrison

Modern Carrying Narrow Boats

Featured Posts

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 00:01, pete harrison said:

Here you go, a bit of loose coal and 'traditional' boating from about 5 years ago - although I do not think this coal was for retail (and looks to contain a lot of slack):

Yes, I think I have seen a photo of that load.  A few big lumps and the rest rubbish that I would not dare to sell.  Did it come free, because it was so bad?

Customers could see what coal we loaded - who knows what is in those pre-packs?

My mother asked her coalman which colliery it had come from.  He replied "I don't know, it came from China"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2019 at 00:01, pete harrison said:

Here you go, a bit of loose coal and 'traditional' boating from about 5 years ago - although I do not think this coal was for retail (and looks to contain a lot of slack):

 

9 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Yes, I think I have seen a photo of that load.  A few big lumps and the rest rubbish that I would not dare to sell.  Did it come free, because it was so bad?


I'm fairly convinced I was told that the coal loaded in those boats was the type that would normally be pulverised to feed a power station.

Hence not that surprising, I guess, that the quality may have been a bit variable.

I may be wrong, but I believe it had been donated, so it may well not have cost anything to load.

I wonder where it ended up.  I don't think Roger has any steam locomotives on his private railway, does he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

 


I'm fairly convinced I was told that the coal loaded in those boats was the type that would normally be pulverised to feed a power station.

Hence not that surprising, I guess, that the quality may have been a bit variable.

I may be wrong, but I believe it had been donated, so it may well not have cost anything to load.

I wonder where it ended up.  I don't think Roger has any steam locomotives on his private railway, does he?

It was donated by UK Coal from the Minorca mine and loaded on the Ashby to promote the restoration of the top end of the Ashby. I can't remember where it was unloaded though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

wonder where it ended up.  I don't think Roger has any steam locomotives on his private railway, does he?

Put that rubbish in a steam loco and it would go straight up the chimney.  The big lumps could sell to a pub with an open fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a STOKIE No 1 on the Anglesey Branch, BCN.  I assume it is the same boat ?

 

 

338101.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heartland said:

This was a STOKIE No 1 on the Anglesey Branch, BCN.  I assume it is the same boat ?

 

 

338101.jpg

 

Your assumption is correct .That photo was taken quite a few years ago when the Stokie was being operated by Brioni Sharman (Dave's widow) and her partner John Chard after they moved from the K&A, and before they went to the Gloucester and Sharpness. The boat is now in someone elses ownership.

 

 

 

Edited by David Schweizer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2019 at 23:48, TheBiscuits said:

"Lloyds Loopers"

About 4 years ago we had a load just chugging up and down the east coast loaded with oil just going up in value. Not today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.