Modern Carrying Narrow Boats

Featured Posts

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 00:01, pete harrison said:

Here you go, a bit of loose coal and 'traditional' boating from about 5 years ago - although I do not think this coal was for retail (and looks to contain a lot of slack):

Yes, I think I have seen a photo of that load.  A few big lumps and the rest rubbish that I would not dare to sell.  Did it come free, because it was so bad?

Customers could see what coal we loaded - who knows what is in those pre-packs?

My mother asked her coalman which colliery it had come from.  He replied "I don't know, it came from China"

On 11/06/2019 at 00:01, pete harrison said:

Here you go, a bit of loose coal and 'traditional' boating from about 5 years ago - although I do not think this coal was for retail (and looks to contain a lot of slack):

9 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Yes, I think I have seen a photo of that load.  A few big lumps and the rest rubbish that I would not dare to sell.  Did it come free, because it was so bad?

I'm fairly convinced I was told that the coal loaded in those boats was the type that would normally be pulverised to feed a power station.

Hence not that surprising, I guess, that the quality may have been a bit variable.

I may be wrong, but I believe it had been donated, so it may well not have cost anything to load.

I wonder where it ended up.  I don't think Roger has any steam locomotives on his private railway, does he?

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I'm fairly convinced I was told that the coal loaded in those boats was the type that would normally be pulverised to feed a power station.

Hence not that surprising, I guess, that the quality may have been a bit variable.

I may be wrong, but I believe it had been donated, so it may well not have cost anything to load.

I wonder where it ended up.  I don't think Roger has any steam locomotives on his private railway, does he?

It was donated by UK Coal from the Minorca mine and loaded on the Ashby to promote the restoration of the top end of the Ashby. I can't remember where it was unloaded though.

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

wonder where it ended up.  I don't think Roger has any steam locomotives on his private railway, does he?

Put that rubbish in a steam loco and it would go straight up the chimney.  The big lumps could sell to a pub with an open fire.

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

This was a STOKIE No 1 on the Anglesey Branch, BCN.  I assume it is the same boat ?

338101.jpg

Your assumption is correct .That photo was taken quite a few years ago when the Stokie was being operated by Brioni Sharman (Dave's widow) and her partner John Chard after they moved from the K&A, and before they went to the Gloucester and Sharpness. The boat is now in someone elses ownership.

Edited by David Schweizer

• 9 months later...

A norty post from a member who had only a few posts.

It was nothing to do with this thread, canals or boats, she had posted an invitation to view her personal photos.  There were only a couple of hundred or so and to be honest you can see similar on the Dark Web at any time.

?

• Haha 2