Modern Carrying Narrow Boats

Featured Posts

According to the CBOA website the ARUNDEL was used to move building material from Stenson Marina to Icknield Port, departing Stenson on April 5th 2019. At Icknield a bland group of buildings are being erected at present.

On 25/05/2019 at 18:42, dave moore said:

Now at Glascote.

Moored, or for sale? I knew the Stokie when John Chard worked it and it was always kept in nice condition. Unfortunately the last time I saw it, there was no sign of the original livery, instead it was looking very scruffy, being painted in badly applied, tired grey primer.

7 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Moored, or for sale? I knew the Stokie when John Chard worked it and it was always kept in nice condition. Unfortunately the last time I saw it, there was no sign of the original livery, instead it was looking very scruffy, being painted in badly applied, tired grey primer.

Stokie was here  @WozStokie  or even @John (Stokie) 

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 17:37, pete harrison said:

I often used to meet these Union Canal Carrying Ltd. self steered camping boats but it was KIMBERLEY and LINDSAY that I 'feared' the most

Kimberley was often steered by Alec Purcell, great chap to talk to.  What did you 'fear' ?

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

Kimberley was often steered by Alec Purcell, great chap to talk to.  What did you 'fear' ?

The line you quoted says "I often used to meet these Union Canal Carrying Ltd. self steered camping boats but it was KIMBERLEY and LINDSAY that I 'feared' the most" 

Alec Purcell was no longer steering for U.C.C. Ltd. and both KIMBERLEY and LINDSAY were running as self steer - heavy deep drafted boats not being ideal for this purpose :captain:

edit = the context of my quote was in discussion about HEYFORD and LAUGHTON, both of which were modern built camping boats.

Edited by pete harrison

15 hours ago, Heartland said:

According to the CBOA website the ARUNDEL was used to move building material from Stenson Marina to Icknield Port, departing Stenson on April 5th 2019. At Icknield a bland group of buildings are being erected at present.

The CBOA website states this was a five tonne load, so I am not sure a 'town class' motor (2003 reproduction) was really required for this job. It appears to me that jobs like this are more about publicity for the supplying companies than putting boats to work.

If I remember correctly ARUNDEL was built under private ownership to work on the Denham aggregate contract, but since that ended I think it has struggled to find any meaningful work :captain:

5 hours ago, pete harrison said:

The CBOA website states this was a five tonne load, so I am not sure a 'town class' motor (2003 reproduction) was really required for this job. It appears to me that jobs like this are more about publicity for the supplying companies than putting boats to work.

If I remember correctly ARUNDEL was built under private ownership to work on the Denham aggregate contract, but since that ended I think it has struggled to find any meaningful work :captain:

Richard Horne - a member of the Commercial Boat Owner Association CBOA - does his best to get commercial contracts for the boat, and has had a few one off loads over the last few years. As you said however, it's usually a publicity stunt but at least hopefully it will make people think about water transport. More than you'd give credit for in London at the moment - though mostly maintenance/building type loads plus the Camden Market rubbish traffic to Powerdays.

4 hours ago, mykaskin said:

More than you'd give credit for in London at the moment

Likewise on the river - only rubbish hoppers with a tug.

Less and less industry sited beside the canals - once the load is on a lorry, it stays on.

When I was working retail coal boats, I sometimes got the tipper to come down to Oxford, rather that take the boat up to the coalfield.  Only took the lorry a few hours.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Heartland said:

I have a image of LEOPARD at Nantwich in September 1997. In trying to identify it, this craft appears to be a modern reproduction.

Built by Roger Fuller in 1987, initially fitted with a 9hp Bolinder but replaced by a Lister FR2 in 1992 :captain:

10 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

What is the reason for having a newly built carrying craft, when there are plenty of older boats around which were probably better built ?  Serious question.

I am pretty sure that LEOPARD was not built for trade, more as an unconverted pleasure boat for an ex-boater. I am also pretty sure that LEOPARD was converted not long after the above photograph was taken :captain:

edit = this entire thread revolves around "newly built carrying craft, when there are plenty of older boats around which were probably better built" - but not everybody wants the expense of maintaining an older boat even if it was built better when new.

Edited by pete harrison

9 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

I like that expression - sums up a lot of them.

There is not enough work now to employ all of the remaining unconverted boats, and just because the owners might have an interest in them does not mean that they want to work them - especially as most owners will already be employed elsewhere :captain: 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, pete harrison said:

There is not enough work now to employ all of the remaining unconverted boats, and just because the owners might have an interest in them does not mean that they want to work them - especially as most owners will already be employed elsewhere :captain: 

Very true.  It would be nice though to see just one loaded with coal, loose, not bagged.  Keep the coal aboard until the price goes up. 

I believe they do that with old oil tankers.

17 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Very true.  It would be nice though to see just one loaded with coal, loose, not bagged.  Keep the coal aboard until the price goes up. 

I believe they do that with old oil tankers.

Well that has certainly been done within the last 5 years.....

IMG_5745.JPG

16 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

My boat has the dubious honour of being the last to load loose coal at Tardebigge, as recent as 2002.

Here you go, a bit of loose coal and 'traditional' boating from about 5 years ago - although I do not think this coal was for retail (and looks to contain a lot of slack):

Edited by pete harrison

9 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Probably I took these in 1988, can't remember where though. Quite possibly on the Shroppie somewhere.

182396821_LEOPARDGen077.jpg.6b76c7ea366ffefe09827e66aeee8bac.jpg

LEOPARD Gen 076.jpg

I think these are probably on the offside between Sutton's & Bedworth Hill Cutting. I towed Leopard back from Roger Fuller's for Roy and dropped it off there.

• 2 weeks later...