Modern Carrying Narrow Boats

Featured Posts

Following on from another thread within this Forum I have quickly put the following list together of boats built post 1970 with the intent of being used for commercial carrying:

1973 - MILTON QUEEN

1974 - SEAMUS

1975 - PIONEER

1978 - MILTON PRINCESS

1980 - PHOEBE (butty)

1980 - NEWBURY

1980 - NELSON

1991 - STOKIE No. 1

1992 - NEWDIGATE

2003 - ARUNDEL

c2005 - ALDRIDGE (built for trade ?, but has traded)

2007 - HADAR (built for trade ?, but has traded)

All of the above are full length motor narrow boats, apart from PHOEBE.

I also have DUSTY and THE COALBOAT, both of which are currently trading but whether they are purpose built or adaptations of pleasure boats I do not know (I have only seen DUSTY once and it looked like a 'deconverted' pleasure boat to me).

There are also a number of modern built 'camping boats' but I have not counted these, although clearly they could in theory be loaded.

Can anybody add to the list above of purpose built carrying boats post 1970 ?

How about MILTON MAID? Or does her unconventional design mean she isn't a Carrying Narrow Boat in the conventionally understood sense? post-5371-0-74989900-1436881402_thumb.jpg

A couple of shots of DUSTY here. I'd say she was purpose-built from the look of her but couldn't say for 100% sure.post-5371-0-97613900-1436881653_thumb.jpgpost-5371-0-43560100-1436881739_thumb.jpg

1976 Adele 60 ft Owned and operated by Boat & Butty Company, Runcorn. Camping boat over summer and carrying over winter. Powered by Petter Pd2.

Converted post 1981. Not sure of whereabouts now

Operated originally by the larger than life in every way, Peter Shrubsall. Prior to having his own canal business, he worked for Peter Froud as mate/barman on Lapwing with Charlie Atkins. When I worked with Charlie after, he told me that Peter Shrubsall had fallen in at Dutton once and that there was still a hole in the water.

Heyford, now at Langley Mill. Regards. HughC.

Was HEYFORD not built as a camping boat. I certainly recall it being used as such with Union Canal Carriers Ltd. in the late 1970's and 1980's. Union Canal Carriers Ltd. also had another modern hulled camping boat - LAUGHTON.

I did not count either of these as they were not (in my opinion) built for carrying.

I have thought of another one - built on the Trent and Mersey Canal just south of Great Haywood about three years ago. I do not know the name of it but my sister lives adjacent to where it was built captain.gif

The Coalboat web site says She is a new, purpose built 70' working boat based on the lines of a traditional Fellows, Morton & Clayton

http://thecoalboat.co.uk/index.html

linky did'nt work

Interesting looking boat, but I do wish they would not state 'based on the lines of a traditional Fellows, Morton & Clayton' as it will only attract ridicule when it bears no resemblance captain.gif

• Greenie 1

I have thought of another one - built on the Trent and Mersey Canal just south of Great Haywood about three years ago. I do not know the name of it but my sister lives adjacent to where it was built captain.gif

Still moored at Taft and selling but does not appear to move (no engine fitted)

Pedant

Does that count as trading?

George ex nb Alton retired

There's also Merchant, which trades on the River Thames with solid fuels and diesel. A purpose built Hudson boat if i recall correctly.

Could it be this one ?

Merchant Built by R.W. Davis & Sons Lt - Length : 21.3 metres ( 69 feet 11 inches ) - Beam : 2 metres ( 6 feet 7 inches )