A Somewhat Unusual Request

Caerwyn

Featured Posts

That is... actually pretty damned close to what I have planned. Sure you don't want my job?

I can't spell and I have no imagination. Also I can't type. And I only got a "C" at English Literature - hated it. Apart from that I am an ideal writer.

I suspect if you did write your storyline something like that, many boaters will be saying "he's written about me!!!!" in a very similar way to many heavy metal bands identified themselves when Spinal Tap was released as a film.

Edited by Paul C

There was a real life thread on here a few years ago, where someone apparently innocently asked for help finding a boat, and it turned out the poster was a jilted lover planning a vicious battering for the boater. Can't remember how all this got revealed. I think the intended victim read the thread and spilled the beans.

You could easily dramatise a fairly uninteresting sinking by giving it a storyline involving a couple splitting up, one of them leaving the shared home and moving onto a boat when the other keeps the home + kids. Then the boater discovers a new freedom and starts on an epic self-discovery of his sexual gamut (plenty to get your teeth into there), all the while his(/her) ex pursuing him(/her) out of revenge for their abandonment into drudgery, culminating in a massive conflict or sabotage etc etc resulting in the sinking.

That sounds similar to what happened in Oxford when the boat got tourched

You could easily dramatise a fairly uninteresting sinking by giving it a storyline involving a couple splitting up, one of them leaving the shared home and moving onto a boat when the other keeps the home + kids. Then the boater discovers a new freedom and starts on an epic self-discovery of his sexual gamut (plenty to get your teeth into there), all the while his(/her) ex pursuing him(/her) out of revenge for their abandonment into drudgery, culminating in a massive conflict or sabotage etc etc resulting in the sinking.

And then, and android is sent back from the future to stop the sinking, thereby preventing the conception of a future freedom fighter!

Richard

On the subject of finding out the age of the boat I saw the other day, since we seem to be drawing a blank with the index numbers idea, possibly one of you lovely people could have a shot at telling me what I'm looking at?

Am I all right to post pictures on here, or would it be better to remove any identifying information first?

"Built by Unknown - Length : 18.72 metres ( 61 feet 5 inches ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.5 ( 1 foot 8 inches ). Metal hull power of 30 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number [redacted] as a Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )"

Also: I only had the one shot with the name/index number showing, and it was easy enough to airbrush out smile.png

post-24632-0-34191100-1436882680_thumb.jpg

post-24632-0-67232000-1436882707_thumb.jpg

post-24632-0-13427900-1436882739_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caerwyn

Can't beat a huge tarp and some wood offcuts, right?

Honestly, if it was made in the 70s, by the look of it it's been moored up there since about then--there were some very impressive cobwebs on display! wink.png

Edited by Caerwyn

I'm a short story writer on the lookout for some poor soul who wouldn't mind chatting with someone who went on endless narrowboat holidays as a child but is otherwise completely clueless smile.png

I'm especially interested in knowing:

• If there is there any way to find out when a specific boat was built, assuming you have the registration number;
  • What some of the common problems are likely to be with a boat that has been neglected for an extended period of time, especially anything that could lead to the hull or structural integrity of the boat being compromised;
  • The sort of damage you might expect on a boat that was poorly moored, especially during storms.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Would love to have a chat about it by PM/IM if anyone has the time/inclination.

I think the fate of the Tantalus might be of interest, good description of it here

http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/Pages/Soggy-moggy-saved-from-sinking-motor-cruiser-in-River-Thames.aspx

Can't beat a huge tarp and some wood offcuts, right?

Honestly, if it was made in the 70s, by the look of it it's been moored up there since about then--there were some very impressive cobwebs on display! wink.png

it takes less time than you'd think for an unvisited boat to look abandoned :)

During my 1st winter aboard the boat next to me sank.

It had raw water cooling and we'd had a few days of sunny warm days where everything thawed and cold nights where everything froze up again. The conclusion of the insurance assessor was that the freezing and thawing had worked out the sea cock

You swine! I didn't believe you, so I searched on Ebay - now there are firearms officers and the bomb squad outside

Richard

You know I almost searched eBay then thought what happens if there are key words they look out for and despite being very gullible I don't think i believe you.......

You know I almost searched eBay then thought what happens if there are key words they look out for and despite being very gullible I don't think i believe you.......

As it appens I have searched both eBay and Amazon for various explosive type ingredients, simply out of curiosity and no one has knocked on my door yet.

It is amazing what can be bought if you so wish :)

As it appens I have searched both eBay and Amazon for various explosive type ingredients, simply out of curiosity and no one has knocked on my door yet.

It is amazing what can be bought if you so wish smile.png

That's because the authorities probably don't believe your address.

No-one would be daft enough to live on a boat, would they??!

Surely it would be too cold and damp, especially in winter...

I can't believe no one has directed the OP the the sinking of ALFIE thread....

We had a member who's boat sank a couple of months back due to the weed hatch not being properly closed - thankfully he was able to have her re floated quite quickly, but did suffer the loss of a fair amount of personal items along with the damage the water caused to his electrics and such.

If you search ALFIE sinking or the Sinking of ALFIE or something along those lines you should be able to find it.