Boat Identifications

RogerM

Featured Posts

I have a few long term residents of my "unidentified" file of working boat photographs. I'm hoping some of the knowledgeable folks on here might be able to pin down their identities. This first on is a converted wooden butty photographed at Kidlington on the Southern Oxford in 2013.

post-5371-0-39578300-1436834058_thumb.jpg

post-5371-0-66004400-1436834263_thumb.jpg

Wooden motor in the 2nd post is Hardy. I passed it the other day and ran the license number through the canalplan boat search thingy.

Had been meaning to do that for ages. Currently with a For Sale notice on it. I think you're right saying the butty is Argo which is now in two halves at Braunston bottom lock being turned into two motors.

Edited by IanM

I am still trying to track down the motor boat "Neptune" I owned in the 1980's. When sold it was in fine fettle and fitted with a Lister FR2, the last sighting of it known to me was in 1993 on the K&A.

It is hard to believe a good condition wooden motor could just "disappear" and not be known about in those times, has anyone a clue where she is or what happened to her, thanks, Laurence.

gallery_5000_522_191077.jpg

Ha! I was about to post a picture of that same butty that used to be with Hesperus. Thanks for info on Hardy Ian.

Is the first one the Drake/Taunton??
Dan

Yes I agree it looks like Taunton. The windows on the conversion are very distinctive. Cheers.

A long shot but these pictures were taken at the top of Farmer's Bridge Locks in 1993. The motor and butty are Roach and Pictor but I've often wondered what the motor is in the background with the grey cabin with yellow border (assume the grey is primer).

5945911170_207daa432a_z.jpg

Cambrian Wharf - Birmingham & Fazeley Canal, Birmingham Canal Navigations by Ian, on Flickr

5945354343_4e02d69c70_z.jpg

Cambrian Wharf - Birmingham & Fazeley Canal, Birmingham Canal Navigations by Ian, on Flickr

5945911636_f710b33e25_z.jpg

A long shot but these pictures were taken at the top of Farmer's Bridge Locks in 1993. The motor and butty are Roach and Pictor but I've often wondered what the motor is in the background with the grey cabin with yellow border (assume the grey is primer).

I am pretty sure it is WHITBY captain.gif

Wooden motor in the 2nd post is Hardy. I passed it the other day and ran the license number through the canalplan boat search thingy.

Had been meaning to do that for ages. Currently with a For Sale notice on it. I think you're right saying the butty is Argo which is now in two halves at Braunston bottom lock being turned into two motors.

Ian, I don't know if you spotted a gent in a wheel chair at the Braunston show on Saturday, this year. He was sat at the entrance to the Oxford arm on the side of the little workshop?

19104306314_0d3b0eb3de_c.jpgDSCF2308

He was Captain of Hardy for a while in her Barlow days. He

also captained Gort, Sutton Tyco, and Cambourne.

Edited by Ray T

Good point.

I'm sure I've seen a picture before (may have even been yours) pairing Ariel with Umbriel which appears in your picture above. I assumed that as the person who had Umbriel now(?) has Hesperus the butty remained the same but possibly not as our two pictures obviously show different boats.