UHF Signal Strength Meter

Theo

Featured Posts

Are such things worth buying?

At the moment I am looking on the smartphone to find a station then auto tuning the TV. If that doesn't work I try the next station down the list. This takes quit a long time. Will a meter help me?

N

Which app are you using? I use "Antenna Pointer" (Android).

What aeriel does if point to? Is it supposed to be the best. Tried it and it points opposite way to 4 boats Inc ours and we have 1st class picture. I use UK aeriel alignment that gives choice of aeriels and their distance/strength so you get a choice.

I've got a meter but it's no use most of the time because it usually points to the nearest mobile phone mast (they are on UHF too). If the TV signal is strong enough to over-ride the phone signal I generally don't need the signal meter because just putting the Omnimax on the roof will get the TV signal perfectly.

I use my Mk1 eyeballs and if necessary the binoculars to check on the distant house. Pointing the aerial in the rough direction if up high enough works for me.

Yes works for e if you don,t moor far from civilisation. Although you could try several directions and retune tv each time.

We invariably moor out in the sticks - where there are no houses, so can't use the 'what's everyone else doing??' method. I have a cheap Philex device, but it's no good in weaker signal strength areas and does no more that 'the signal is over there-ish'. Just bought a unit made by Fringe Electronics which is a lot better - but it's twice the price at 20 squids. Well worth it if I don't want to suffer SWMBO's displeasure....

Dunno where the interference with mobile masts comes from - we have one near at home and the finder didn't umm- find it. Perhaps it's different for you urban wallahs...

Which app are you using? I use "Antenna Pointer" (Android).

UK Aerial Alignment, same as Peter-Bullfinch.

It's OK and gives a rough direction consistent with the distortion of the Earth's magnetic field. Useful in that it tells you if it is Vertically or Horizontally polarized. When using it I usually try it both in the indicated direction and in the opposite direction. I wonder if there is ambiguity in the trigonometry.

This evening I can get many of the channels but not the one that I want.

I often find that slight tweeking of the direction can change an unreliable picture into perfection. What I was wondering is if a meter in the aerial lead would help. I am imagining that I would then be able to rotate it 360deg. and choose the maximum signal.

The question is: do such meters really work? Old Goat says that his does.

N

It's OK and gives a rough direction consistent with the distortion of the Earth's magnetic field. Useful in that it tells you if it is Vertically or Horizontally polarized. When using it I usually try it both in the indicated direction and in the opposite direction. I wonder if there is ambiguity in the trigonometry.

I often find that slight tweeking of the direction can change an unreliable picture into perfection. What I was wondering is if a meter in the aerial lead would help. I am imagining that I would then be able to rotate it 360deg. and choose the maximum signal.

N

I find some area ,s do have trouble with certain stations but usually there is an obstruction between aerial and transmitter. Very frustrating but even perfect alignment can Result in less channels.

Tonight, used phone app. to find general direction as no houses or other boats in sight.

Put aerial on roof on 1.5 ft mast, weak signal and not good quality, raised it three feet, worse, raised it six feet, even more worse.

Lowered to 1.5 ft and can get some channels, checked tv listings, nothing worth watching. frusty.gif

Hence I'm here. help.gif

Tonight, used phone app. to find general direction as no houses or other boats in sight.

Put aerial on roof on 1.5 ft mast, weak signal and not good quality, raised it three feet, worse, raised it six feet, even more worse.

Lowered to 1.5 ft and can get some channels, checked tv listings, nothing worth watching. frusty.gif

Hence I'm here. help.gif

There is always the decision: do you look at the listings and find something that you want to watch risking the disappointment if you can't get a signal or go to the trouble of rigging the aerial only to find that there is nothing that you want to watch?

Life is full of these little conundrums. (conundra?)

Edited by Theo
Add a question mark

Good grief, I don't know what all the fuss is about! I just point the aerial the same way wherever we are (having looked at the nicholsons to get the direction) and it works either straight away, or following 10 seconds of adjusting.

Mind you, we do have one of those funny round-shaped aerials with an arm sticking out. Apparently some call it a dish.

I find some area ,s do have trouble with certain stations but usually there is an obstruction between aerial and transmitter. Very frustrating but even perfect alignment can Result in less channels.

Some secondary transmitters don't put out the full complement of freeview channels. Watch for polarization as well. Many oop north are vertical. As suggested check with local houses.

Some secondary transmitters don't put out the full complement of freeview channels. Watch for polarization as well. Many oop north are vertical. As suggested check with local houses.

Interesting, ever realised the restriction output of some transmitters.

Good grief, I don't know what all the fuss is about! I just point the aerial the same way wherever we are (having looked at the nicholsons to get the direction) and it works either straight away, or following 10 seconds of adjusting.

Mind you, we do have one of those funny round-shaped aerials with an arm sticking out. Apparently some call it a dish.

Dish is easy. Point east slowly rotate to South east. Gave it up as some good mooring spots had trees between boat and sattalite.

N

Do I detect a voice of doubt????

Shurely not - trust me I'm a boater.......

If you want a really poshe (that's posh squared) you need a device that costs fifty squids or more - as used by the pros: For lesser mortals the Fringe Electronics seems a reasonable compromise.

........And if there is a bloody great warehouse in the direction you are pointing it?....................................

There isn't.

Or if there is, it means you are in an urban area and can watch telly via t'internet.

And there was me thinking that your butler would be under firm instructions to only "park up" where there was an uninterrupted satellite signal..........

UK aerial alignment app tells you the direction of polarization.

N

Thanks for all the info, folks. Just realised how I can rig my log periodic for vertical polarisation and then change it easily for the next mooring.

I think that I will just take life as it comes and read a book when the telly doesn't work or even when it does, especially on a Saturday evening. Why is there such a tendency to put out dross on Saturdays? Perhaps they are trying to get us to go out more. Or read improving books. Or talk to one another. Or get more sleep.

N