bent propeller

colin loach

Featured Posts

i have a isuzu 42 Liverpool 2008 boat, and for the second time in 8 months i have bent the propeller on something below the water line. there was no big bang just a sound of wood hitting the blade. could this be a sign of a bad designed or thin propeller, or just bad luck. i have straightened the best i can, the last one cost £800 to replace. your thoughts please.

Colin

i have a isuzu 42 Liverpool 2008 boat, and for the second time in 8 months i have bent the propeller on something below the water line. there was no big bang just a sound of wood hitting the blade. could this be a sign of a bad designed or thin propeller, or just bad luck. i have straightened the best i can, the last one cost £800 to replace. your thoughts please.

Colin

Does it affect how the boat performs? If not leave it I would say or get it professionally straightened at the most.

The last few props. we have bought from Crowthers have been a heavy duty version of their high efficiecy design. They have considerably thicker blades and so far

have coped with the Erewash reasonably well. I did bend one on an underwater steel obstruction in Stoke but as usual BW/CART denied any responsibility and the advice from our insurance brokers was to claim on our policy as fighting it through the courts would bring out CART's big guns. Regards, HughC.

Colin

Was it a special, MC are about £250 a time

I bent our original prop of unknown parentage so replaced it with a Crowther and the difference in the thickness of material was considerable. The Crowther was much more robust and solid and was much heavier than the original. Crowthers repaired and balanced the bent prop and it looked just like brand new when they had finished and it cost £90. (17 x 12)

What is the effect...on movement....if the prop is damaged.......does the boat go slower, or vibrate a lot....

We find when we bend ours it doesn't have much effect on the speed the boat will achieve it just makes it vibrate like hell.

Google steeldevelopments for repairs, if that's really no good I have a 17 x 14 x1.5" RH for £45 in the shed. Edit. Sorry, turns out its 17 x 12

Edited by Bee

I have a spare for my day boat that's missing a large chunk out of one of the fins. Any ideas of cost to repair it so it's a usable spare, is there anywhere in the Manchester/ Peak District area that does these repairs?

Crowthers are based in Oldham just off Ashton Road. They have a foundry in the basement of a cotton mill. If they can't repair it nobody can

Google Crowthermarine.

To straighten a badly bent 17" was £120.00. It wasn't cracked though. To buy a new one same size they quoted me £300ish.

No hesitation in recommending them and there are plenty of other endorsements on here.

Colin

Cant you claim on your insurance?

The problem with claiming on insurance is that your premiums will go up, and you won't have gained anything.

Not always by as much as you would think though. Friends of ours had a claim for two sets of stainless duo props at £1500 a pair so a £3000 claim.

Their insurance premium went up £1. Yes that's £1!

Thank all for your help, i think i will replace the propeller with a thicker grade, but not sure how to get it off while in the water. there seems to be a cone shape cover on the spline and i cannot see the split pin. any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks

Colin

I have a spare for my day boat that's missing a large chunk out of one of the fins. Any ideas of cost to repair it so it's a usable spare, is there anywhere in the Manchester/ Peak District area that does these repairs?

We have always used Streamlined Prop Repairs in Aldershot. Great service from the guys.

Usually costs us £100 for the pair of ours repairing plus postage. They charge based on prop diameter though so guess yours will be a bit more.

Just had mine repitched and straightened for 70 squids looks lovely will see how it performs on thursday

Peter

That's cheap. I paid £150 to have mine done. Which thread are you going to post the results of your repitch? I'm interested in whether I should reduce mine further.

Thank all for your help, i think i will replace the propeller with a thicker grade, but not sure how to get it off while in the water. there seems to be a cone shape cover on the spline and i cannot see the split pin. any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks

Colin

Without looking at it its difficult to say but if you can't shift the prop from the taper I have a couple of pullers that you can borrow, you will not be able to swing a club hammer underwater and even if you could you could disembowel the gearbox

Not always by as much as you would think though. Friends of ours had a claim for two sets of stainless duo props at £1500 a pair so a £3000 claim.

Thanks NC I didn't expect it to go up much, even if it went up £50 a year it would be 16 years to break even.

Thanks NC I didn't expect it to go up much, even if it went up £50 a year it would be 16 years to break even.

Dont know why it did that.

Edited by ditchcrawler

They had better not claim again.

Thanks

Colin

We had a similar situation with similar boat (2007 Liverpool with Isuzu 42) in June, went into Portland Basin dry dock, Ashton. They had a bit of a job to get it off, even with a big hammer ;) So can't imagine getting one off whilst still in the water.

Ours had 2 bent blades & was sent to Crowthers, came back like new though we've been told it probably wouldn't take another refurb. The spline was drilled & a split pin added when it was put back on as another boat a few days previously had the prop fall off at the lift bridge, don't know if anyone's recovered it yet !

We claimed on our insurance, craftinsure, who were very efficient & paid up quickly, can also highly recommend Portland Basin dry dock, brilliant service.