One of the final fully complete Steve Hudson boats.....

Featured Posts

I wonder how many people will be claiming in a couple of years to have the last 'Hudson' ever built. I'm sure I've heard it 3 times in the last few months!

Well he had as many as six or seven at various stages of completion, but there will be only one last one that was fully completed whilst he was alive.

Each to their own, and no doubt a big saving over a new price, (or a big loss to the owner that is selling it so soon), but it does seem an eye watering price for what is essentially a mid-length production line produced boat with a modern buzzy engine.

Perhaps the colour may appeal to someone, but I have seen this boat, and describing as "unusual" is being kind of polite, in my view.

I'd expect to buy a minimum of two boats, possibly three, for this kind of money, but we are all different, of course! :lol:

Well he had as many as six or seven at various stages of completion, but there will be only one last one that was fully completed whilst he was alive.

I think this one was delivered and on its mooring a long while before Mr Hudson's passing, so I do find the claim it was the last very surprising, in view of how many he was turning out.

Like others I don't particularly like this boat. For what I could see in the video I watched yesterday, I don't think the fit out was anything special to warrant the sort of price being asked. To be fair to Dominic, the owner paid a sum as a new build, some of which they have to recover of course.

I'm not over excited by it.

Martyn

Edit. Just watched the video again. It is a quality fit out. Still not excited though.

Edited by Nightwatch

I'd expect to buy a minimum of two boats, possibly three, for this kind of money, but we are all different, of course! :lol:

Well if you think you can get 3 virtually new well built boats for £42k each I think you should buy them and sell on at profit.

Anyway, we paid a touch over £100k for our's in 2011, this one is 2' shorter, no dinette, but has a bowthruster and fancy worktops and flooring, otherwise fairly similar spec. So I don't think £125k represents a significant discount on the price paid. I think the colour will be an obstacle to the sale but maybe it looks better in the flesh?

Ed: oh and it's got a cratch cover which is around £1500 IIRC

Edited by nicknorman

Anyway, we paid a touch over £100k for our's in 2011, this one is 2' shorter, no dinette, but has a bowthruster and fancy worktops and flooring, otherwise fairly similar spec. So I don't think £125k represents a significant discount on the price paid. I think the colour will be an obstacle to the sale but maybe it looks better in the flesh?

The new owner needs to budget to replace the engine hour counter, itf it really has recorded only one hour!

I think the pictures are flattering of the actual colour used(!).

If buying three boats at once I would want a very hefty discount, before selling on at a reasonable profit.

As Alan points out its an awful lot of dosh, for semi production line boat.

I also am not sure of the colour. I'm not dead set against, just not sure.

But as someone else has said, if it's heavily discounted at 125k, what the hell was initial price. Think it would need to be a stainless steel hull or alloy before it would come anywhere near close to being valuable

So I don't think £125k represents a significant discount on the price paid. I think the colour will be an obstacle to the sale but maybe it looks better in the flesh?

No it doesn't. I was moored next to it last week.

I honestly think the owners should bite the bullet and spend a few grand getting the panels repainted a normal colour.

Original price was around £150k

Edited by matty40s

As Alan points out its an awful lot of dosh, for semi production line boat.

It is a semi production line boat but at the top end of that in terms of quality. Having used a boat from the same stable as Alan's recently-sold one for 15yrs before we got ours, I can definitely say the Hudson is streets ahead in terms of solidity and handling, smoothness, quietness, systems functionality etc.

If "cheap" is your priority you should get a boat from Aintree, Orchard etc and do your shopping at Farmfoods and Iceland. But some are happy to pay more for a quality item and shop at Markies and Waitrose.

Original price was around £150k

Does seem a lot compared to what we paid (and I'm remembering within our price was an extra £1200 or so for higher cabin sides to accommodate lanky me, & our Empirbus system). On the other hand with 8 boats in build it must have been a reasonable market price.

If "cheap" is your priority you should get a boat from Aintree, Orchard etc and do your shopping at Farmfoods and Iceland. But some are happy to pay more for a quality item and shop at Markies and Waitrose.

No doubt limitless free "proper" coffee was on offer whilst specifying the boat of your choice.

Or did they use to have an issue with chancers who were never even going to buy an Aintree boat coming in and getting the "freebies"?

No doubt limitless free "proper" coffee was on offer whilst specifying the boat of your choice.

Or did they use to have an issue with chancers who were never even going to buy an Aintree boat coming in and getting the "freebies"?

As a purchaser you got a free cup of instant coffee made by Dianne. At the open days there were plenty of gongoozlers but they all got free coffee / tea and bickies. It was not Steve's style at all to do a glitzy sales act. Quite the opposite in fact! Edited by nicknorman

It is a semi production line boat but at the top end of that in terms of quality. Having used a boat from the same stable as Alan's recently-sold one for 15yrs before we got ours, I can definitely say the Hudson is streets ahead in terms of solidity and handling, smoothness, quietness, systems functionality etc.

Does seem a lot compared to what we paid (and I'm remembering within our price was an extra £1200 or so for higher cabin sides to accommodate lanky me, & our Empirbus system). On the other hand with 8 boats in build it must have been a reasonable market price.

That is a lot of wad for a NB . BUT I would pay for quality. Who are the quality builders nowadays. It seems very quiet on the builder front .