Cleaning Mushroom Vents

Featured Posts

With varying degrees of success - it rather depends on the type of darkening and corrosion....

Shiny Sinks

Astonish

Bar Keepers Friend (sometimes mixed with Astonish)

Servol Autosol (expensive but effective)

We have not found the oft suggested tomato ketchup to work as well as any of the above.

The best I ever used was a car finishing potion called ( i think Frercla or a similar name ) No Idea if it"s still in production

Farecla?

You can certainly still buy Farecla products, though it has never occurred to me to try therm on brass - they are mostly for restoring paint.

That is quite bizarre then, as I have recently been recommended to try Brasso on the boat paintwork, as the Farecla product isn't really working! :lol:

In the past I have used half a lemon, sprinkled with salt. As used by the working boatmen. Very effective, but expensive at today's prices!

On my boat the aluminium mushrooms were powder coated when new, but the coating is beginning to flake off. Not sure whether to strip and repaint, or get new mushrooms.

Edited to remove a duplicated word.

Edited by cuthound

The trouble with laquering them is when it starts to give up, which it always does. It is a b****er to remove. I have vowed to never use incralac again. Far easier to clean them regularly when it only takes a few minutes, useful while waiting for a lock. I use bar keepers friend to remove serious tarnish then either brasso or autosol to polish. Part of the routine when leaving the boat is to put a bit of Vaseline on after the last cleaning. Even over winter it doesn't take too long to re clean

The fastest method I know is to use Liberon Brass & Copper Cleaner. Its and acid solution that wipes off the tarnish without effort, you then just need to polish up with brasso or similar.

The 500ml costs £10.75 from Axminster Power Tools. Code No 810071

Mike.

Try using a silver coloured scouring pad (make sure it says non scratch or that it is for non-stick pans). Use with Brasso and jobs a good un. This is what we used on Dorado before the Braunston gathering this year and she hadn't been cleaned for ages - worked a treat.

Makes paint seem so easy!

I need a quick way to clean brass mushroom vents which have not been cleaned in two years. Quick means anything faster than the army way if you understand my drift. These vents are well dark.

I've just polished up my front door letter box, knocker and door number at home, which hadn't been polished for more than a year or two. I used Cilit Bang to remove the heavy tarnish, then finished with Brasso. Spray the Cilit Bang on a small area and rub it with your finger. The tarnish neutralises the Cilit quite quickly, so you will need to keep spraying, doing a little at a time. Surprisingly easy and quick, but I did have the hardware off the front door which helped. You may have to be careful that the Cilit Bang doesn't damage your paintwork.

I've also used a product by Miracle Leisure Products which was called something like "Heavy Duty Tarnish Remover" which is really nasty stuff, and it doesn't half do the job, but it WILL attack your paintwork, so you'll have to wash it off quickly. Health and Safety may have stopped its sale now, but it certainly is good stuff.

Just found this, and it may be the stuff I mentioned.......

Miracle Brass-Brite

brass_brite_1.138.jpg

£10.00

Heavy Tarnish Remover Brass-Brite is a revolutionary new acidic cleaner used for the safe removal of heavy tarnish deposits that affect non-ferrous metals such as Brass, Copper, Gunmetal, Stainless Steel, Silver and Pewter. Just brush on; leave for a minute then rinse off with clean water. Brass-Brite: 250ml

Edited by monkeyhanger

Another vote for Incralac. Our brass was done years ago, I guess near to 10 years in fact. It's still pretty fair tho I probably will strip and redo it soon.

That may be difficult as some suggest by my word it will need to be amazingly so to take more time and effort than all those years of polishing I've already saved!