Validating That A CRT Volunteer Is A CRT Volunteer.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Whilst pursuing a specific topic relating to CRT volunteers, Mathew Symmonds, CRT Boating Liaison Manager South, has just sent me the following generic information, which may be of interest, in the light of some recent threads......

Yes, all volunteers should be wearing a name badge. Volunteer mooring rangers are also issued with photo ID cards that they should also be wearing. A boater can ask to see these and they have the CRT contact details on the back in case the boater wants to check the volunteer is genuine. I am aware that in the past we have received reports of people claiming to be CRT volunteers at locations where we don’t have volunteers, but they are not usually wearing CRT volunteer uniforms.

We currently have a situation I the Banbury area where someone is attaching fake CRT laminated notices to boats telling them they cannot moor in certain places or that they have stayed longer than the stay time (even though they haven’t). Our staff and volunteers are keeping a look out to see if they can identify who is responsible for these as they are not from CRT.

Additionally, and more specifically, he tells me......

I do not have any volunteer mooring rangers taking sightings at or below Whilton Locks so I’m afraid I don’t know who this might be

So at the moment I am unable to throw any more light on who it might be that has been reported as recording boat details there, but I will continue to try and get an answer to that question.

Edited by alan_fincher

Did you ask about the not being allowed to moor in lock pounds at Braunston?

Yes, I have that running as a separate query because I think it probably isn't volunteer rangers saying that, but volunteer lock keepers. Still awaiting reply.

Do you have any story to tell on this topic, (sorry if I'm not fully tracking everybody involved in all these threads!).

Yes, I have that running as a separate query because I think it probably isn't volunteer rangers saying that, but volunteer lock keepers. Still awaiting reply.

Do you have any story to tell on this topic, (sorry if I'm not fully tracking everybody involved in all these threads!).

Not personally, but mooring at Napton I have a vested interesting in events that impact on mooring in Braunston!

I suspect the volunteer just below Buckby was a volunteer lock keeper. As I know for example those at Foxton have in the past been asked to check the visitor moorings and immediate area when not busy.

I couldn't really give a stuff what badge they have on, if they come banging on my boat asking me when I am going to move on they will get a gobfull of none-of-your-business from me.

. WELL SAID THAT MAN

Edited by Theo
Sort out the post from the quote.

"Additionally, and more specifically, he tells me......

So at the moment I am unable to throw any more light on who it might be that has been reported as recording boat details there, but I will continue to try and get an answer to that question".

Peraphs they are bored trainspotters who have found a new thing to "spot" ...........

I couldn't really give a stuff what badge they have on, if they come banging on my boat asking me when I am going to move on they will get a gobfull of none-of-your-business from me.

You could always treat them with kindness....offer them a nice cup of tea...then gob and crap in their tea...

. WELL SAID THAT MAN

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges. cool.png

I suspect the volunteer just below Buckby was a volunteer lock keeper. As I know for example those at Foxton have in the past been asked to check the visitor moorings and immediate area when not busy.

It would seem not, if this answer is correct......

Miriam has confirmed that the lock keepers are not expected to, nor should be recording boat numbers at Whilton Locks. If you can provide more details such as any dates or times when this has reportedly taken place or any description of the person doing it Miriam is happy to investigate.

So it remains a mystery at present, as we are told it was neither a "mooring ranger" nor a "volunteer locky", yet they were clearly dressed and identifying themselves as a CRT volunteer.

As they may be acting without any authority from CRT, can I suggest anybody else faced with this asks to see some ID, and takes their name.

Whilst pursuing a specific topic relating to CRT volunteers, Mathew Symmonds, CRT Boating Liaison Manager South, has just sent me the following generic information, which may be of interest, in the light of some recent threads......

Additionally, and more specifically, he tells me......

So at the moment I am unable to throw any more light on who it might be that has been reported as recording boat details there, but I will continue to try and get an answer to that question.

Thanks for that Alan. Interesting info.

I am now back moored below Whilton Locks, and looking out for a volunteer. I am more confident now to question the individual if and when. And let you know if this happens.

Martyn

"Additionally, and more specifically, he tells me......

So at the moment I am unable to throw any more light on who it might be that has been reported as recording boat details there, but I will continue to try and get an answer to that question".

Peraphs they are bored trainspotters who have found a new thing to "spot" ...........

You may jest but we were moored on the K.A when a guy came looking at the number's on our boats and he explained that was a train spotter that had just purchased a book with all currently registered boats and was crossing the numbers off as he saw them.

The people who published the book do trains and Eddy Stobert trucks.

If it's a 'volunteer mooring ranger' that you're unsure about a simple question should provide the answer.

Question: do you have a life?:

Answer a/ yes. The volunteer mooring ranger is a fake.

Answer b/ no. It's a genuine volunteer, no doubts.