Starting my liveaboard journey...

Featured Posts

So I'm currently in the process of giving up my life on land and in the process of buying my first canal boat to live aboard. Now that I've had the survey done on the boat and there was nothing major I've gone from a split of 75/25% excited/anxious to 90%/10%!

In case anyone is interested or might find it useful, I decided to write about the whole thing so I've set up a little blog here: http://onthewater.mediamongrels.com

I'm currently trying to catch up with posts of the whole searching/finding a boat process since I didn't want to post anything until the results of the survey (the 'crunch' point).

It's mostly for my own posterity really as everything is happening so fast that I want to be able to look back on it in a few months and see how things have changed!

• 4 months later...

Congratulations, hope you love the life! Don't be sitting on a mooring, get out there! The river Soar offers some great boating, and plenty to explore beyond.

As you are local you might want to check out the Christmas antidote banter at Loughborough in the banters section, and join in?

Perhaps see you on the soar sometime.

Edit to add, only just realised your post was a few months back!

Edited by Ally

All the best with your boat and the slower pace of life.

Please dont take this the wrong way I mean no insult or harm but if the doggy in the picture is living on a boat over winter then seriously it needs its natural ptotective hair to keep warm

I am not a weirdo but I just see it and say it as see it because I care.

all the best, your 6 months ahead of me.

I hope you dont take offense in mean proper good intention

Edited by GreyLady

All the best with your boat and the slower pace of life.

Please dont take this the wrong way I mean no insult or harm but if the doggy in the picture is living on a boat over winter then seriously it needs its natural ptotective hair to keep warm

I am not a weirdo but I just see it and say it as see it because I care.

all the best, your 6 months ahead of me.

I hope you dont take offense in mean proper good intention

You don't think it gets cold on these 'ere boats in winter do you?? Sitting on mine at the moment it's like a sauna, shorts are the order of the daycool.png

Dog looks like a Chinese Crested, but I could be wrong unsure.png

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

I have just taken Maisie our cocker spaniel and Monty part Chinese crested for a haircut. Maisie is "down to the wood" and Monty has been cut 1" all over. Both happy as Larry, often not sleeping in their beds but preferring to lie on the vinyl flooring as it's cooler. Currently 80c in the saloon and I have had to bank the fire up with ash to calm it down, if we weren't going to bed the doors would be open. So in short the dog will be fine.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Greylady, just for info, we only ever have a 4 tog duvet on the bed and are only ever in T-shirts during the winter, we have a 13.5 tog duvet somewhere about the boat but it has not seen the light of day for many a year. So be prepared for cosy when you move aboard, the standing joke with boaters is when none boaters say "ooh isn't it cold in the winter" we all have our own stock replies to that one.

Phil

Greylady, just for info, we only ever have a 4 tog duvet on the bed and are only ever in T-shirts during the winter, we have a 13.5 tog duvet somewhere about the boat but it has not seen the light of day for many a year. So be prepared for cosy when you move aboard, the standing joke with boaters is when none boaters say "ooh isn't it cold in the winter" we all have our own stock replies to that one.

Phil

I have a lot to learn yet Phil, hehe

I cant wait to start messing with a stove and putting my feet up.

I am properly excited.