Limehouse Basin, the Lock and the Thames!

nipper

Featured Posts

Thanks Magnetman and Lodden.

But I have enjoyed myself down this way and will probably do it again before the years out.

I may even come back straight after my trip to Godalming, and take time to explore more of the hostelries there abouts.

I will add too that, I have had no trouble finding a space for this 70footer anywhere in London and surroundings.

OK, London is full, but not that full!

And as someone said on another thread, All the owners of moored craft, I'll call them that, because some of them really can't be called boats, have been cheery and smiling, ready to have a laugh and banter.

So, anyone who is a tad apprehensive about coming down to London, should put their worries aside and try it, You may be surprised!!

Nipper

So!

Having come down the Lea and bypassed Limehouse, because of what was said when I chatted to the lockie,

I am now sitting just above Brentford Gauging locks ready for my passage up to Teddington tomorrow at 11 - 30.

However, I have just met a chap on a boat that has told me that 9 boats left Limehouse today, and that Limehouse is open for business!

Now, I have traveled 27 miles from Limehouse area including 20 odd locks to get to Brentford.

today alone, I've been down the weed hatch 5 times and the bow thruster hatch twice all because of the weed problem here.

The question is, Have a the right to be pissed off??

Nipper

This reminds me of when I went to the Scilly Isles by helicopter. The wind was too strong so the chopper was grounded and we were advised to take the boat (rather shallow draft and a flat bottom). Four hours later, feeling rather ill, and just above to arrive at St Mary's port, the chopper flew over. Not a good start to the honeymoon....

don't forget if you don't have a gold/EA licence there is a £10 transit licence on the Thames to the Wey.

Cheaper than a 1day licence but you wil have to get to the Wey on the day you get the transit licence.

Edited by Loddon

don't forget if you don't have a gold/EA licence there is a £10 transit licence on the Thames to the Wey.

Cheaper than a 1day licence but you wil have to get to the Wey on the day you get the transit licence.

That's not quite correct despite what EA lock keepers may say. You must complete the trip as soon as possible but you do have 24 hours to do so from Teddington to Thames Lock (River Wey), or from River Wey (Thames Lock) to Teddington - first lock you can purchase at is Molesey. I have a document on my other device if any one needs a copy. Edited by Leo No2

Good tip :)

I didn't know about that - I have been on the Wey a few times before but with a Gold License so already registered for the Thames - its handy to know that there is a Teddington to Weybridge option. one would have to check the lock operating times for the Wey but I wonder if one would get away with it by mooring below Shepperton near the Ferry landing if arriving in an evening and go up to the Wey entrance first thing next morning. Do the National Trust look at the Thames transit permit? If they aren't 'bovvered' that way you also get more time to have a look at Kingston and Hampton Court if you like that sort of thing. Locks will be on public power to go up to Weybridge but the weakness is the mooring below Shepperton Lock (Weybridge) may be full on a pleasant summer evening. Other options between Shepperyon and Sunbury including nice (popular) moorings on the Old River at Shepperton and some at Walton too.

Edit to clarificate

Edited by magnetman

When I last did the trip from Limehouse to Teddington and then onto the Wey,

I beleave that I bought a day licence when I arrived at Teddington, but was told that it runs out in 24 hours. So, in practice, I had a mooring at Kingston that night and poodled up to the River Wey the next day at my leisure!

Nipper

Good tip smile.png

I didn't know about that - I have been on the Wey a few times before but with a Gold License so already registered for the Thames - its handy to know that there is a Teddington to Weybridge option. one would have to check the lock operating times for the Wey but I wonder if one would get away with it by mooring below Shepperton near the Ferry landing if arriving in an evening and go up to the Wey entrance first thing next morning. Do the National Trust look at the Thames transit permit? If they aren't 'bovvered' that way you also get more time to have a look at Kingston and Hampton Court if you like that sort of thing. Locks will be on public power to go up to Weybridge but the weakness is the mooring below Shepperton Lock (Weybridge) may be full on a pleasant summer evening. Other options between Shepperyon and Sunbury including nice (popular) moorings on the Old River at Shepperton and some at Walton too.

Edit to clarificate

You'll be fine if you moor overnight on the 'wall' at Weybridge (opposite Weybridge Mariners and Shepperton Lock) - if you moor on the old river and go across to the Wey first thing (Lock opens at 09:00 but is closed between 13:00 and 14:00 and closes at 18:30 or sunset whichever is earlier - last locking 15 mins before closures) I am sure you will be OK. Thames Lock (River Wey) don't check EA licences but don't try and go through Shepperton Lock with a Wey Transit otherwise they'll ask for some money.

EA Notice and BBC Transit Licence notice attached

Wey Transit Poster.pdf

Tranist Licence.pdf

Edited by Leo No2

That's interesting.

We are having a week on the Wey at the beginning of August - coming off the Thames on a Gold license so not restricted to time of day so will definitely go after 2pm.