Limehouse Basin, the Lock and the Thames!

nipper

Featured Posts

I've just had a chat with the Lockie at Limehouse Basin with view of locking out and making a passage up to Teddington next weekend.

He said that that was not possible at the moment and that they can only lockout at High Water Springs.

Aparently, it's all to do with the low water levels in the Basin.

If anyone is not aware of what happens to the Thames at HW Springs, I'll tell you that, it is not a place to be, especially if your heading the other way to the ebb.

So anyone wanting to get on the Thames from the Canal system and wants to head up to Teddington, it will have to be from Brentford!

Happy Days!

Nipper

Is the whole Regent Canal at a low level, or just Limehouse basin?

I can't understand how they cannot lift the level, they must have had some way of doing it in the past as commercial traffic was far busier than the leisure traffic of today.

I've been on the Lea and the Stort for a few weeks, but before i came here, i didnt notice any depth problems exept for the normal stuff!

The lockie didnt explain well and didnt answer my questions about water levals, and was quite short of a proper explanation.

I'm now thinking it's more a problem with the lock itself!

Has anyone come up the Thames from Limehouse lately?

Nipper

Edited by nipper

Of course they can lift the level. That pound was always regarded as being brackish/semi tidal much like Brentford as high water springs used to overtop at Bow and raise the level. For the last few years since they fitted th6e flood gates at Bow and raised the flood wall elsewhere that has not happened and the pound is now regarded as fresh water. Its a simple matter to open the flood gates at Bow and the pound will fill on the next high spring tide.

Alternatively you could go out on the HWS ebb and wait on the pontoon until the tide returns

Edited by Loddon

Of course they can lift the level. That pound was always regarded as being brackish/semi tidal much like Brentford as high water springs used to overtop at Bow and raise the level. For the last few years since they fitted th6e flood gates at Bow and raised the flood wall elsewhere that has not happened and the pound is now regarded as fresh water. Its a simple matter to open the flood gates at Bow and the pound will fill on the next high spring tide.

Alternatively you could go out on the HWS ebb and wait on the pontoon until the tide returns

Now thats an idea!

But, I think by the time i get down to Limehouse the Springs will of fallen away.

Also, I have seen the way the Thames hits that area where the pontoons are, and with our 70footer, the wifey wouldn't like that one bit, especially in the dark! Hehe!

Nipper

see earlier posting in Stoppages, which gives a rather different story. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77315 .

They could of course raise the water level in the Basin by partially opening both sets of gates at Limehouse at high tide (though that may mean overriding an interlock!)

Now thats an idea!

But, I think by the time i get down to Limehouse the Springs will of fallen away.

Also, I have seen the way the Thames hits that area where the pontoons are, and with our 70footer, the wifey wouldn't like that one bit, especially in the dark! Hehe!

Nipper

Another alternative, which I have done, is to leave at or just after HW go down on the ebb to QE2 bridge turn round and come back in in the flood to Brentford. Need to check times and weather for that.

Levels are actually normal now as the seals on the lock have been fixed. So its interesting to hear of the continued restrictions. Limehouse cut is fine now but as I understand it there isn't a lot in the Lea.

Another alternative, which I have done, is to leave at or just after HW go down on the ebb to QE2 bridge turn round and come back in in the flood to Brentford. Need to check times and weather for that.

Pity, but the springs are falling now to enable that. Right weather too!

Levels are actually normal now as the seals on the lock have been fixed. So its interesting to hear of the continued restrictions. Limehouse cut is fine now but as I understand it there isn't a lot in the Lea.

I'll find that out as i am just about to come off the Stort and onto the Lea.

Pity, but the springs are falling now to enable that. Right weather too!

You don't need a spring tide to do QE2 bridge it can be done on any tide.

Leave Limehouse about 3hrs before low water you should arrive at QE2 bridge at low water turn and you get the full flood up to Brentford

Details in here

http://www.stpancrascc.co.uk/system/files/Thames%20Cruising%20Guide_0.pdf

You don't need a spring tide to do QE2 bridge it can be done on any tide.

Leave Limehouse about 3hrs before low water you should arrive at QE2 bridge at low water turn and you get the full flood up to Brentford

Details in here

http://www.stpancrascc.co.uk/system/files/Thames%20Cruising%20Guide_0.pdf

Yes, but if the lockies wont let you out untill a HW springs, then the idea is doomed!

0200am to 0400am is ok if i'm crosing the English Channel from the south coast, but, leaving Limehouse at that time is a different matter!

I've been down the Thames from Teddington a couple of times when the tide has been pretty high and there really is a lot of water, over the banks all over the place, biggest problem is the debris in the river, old pallets, bits of tree, rope, plastic all sorts of stuff,

I've been down the Thames from Teddington a couple of times when the tide has been pretty high and there really is a lot of water, over the banks all over the place, biggest problem is the debris in the river, old pallets, bits of tree, rope, plastic all sorts of stuff,

Deffo need a good pair of eyes. I had a handy pair of bins to hand too.

And now we have a reason for my conversation with the Limehouse lockie yesterday!

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/3925/limehouse-lock-limehouse-london

Has anyone been out at Bow lock??

More to the point, is anyone wanting to go to Teddington vie Bow locks? Wanna team up?

I do have Navionics Charts!

Nipper

Problem with leaving from Bow is that its only accessible about 2hrs before HTLB so by the time you have pushed the tide down Bow Creek and gone round the Isle of Dogs you might as well have left from Limehouse at HTLB.

About your only choice until they fix the lock is to take the canal to Brentford or do it via QE2 bridge which I would not recommend with the wind as it is F4, it neds to be F3 or below.

And now we have a reason for my conversation with the Limehouse lockie yesterday!

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/3925/limehouse-lock-limehouse-london

Has anyone been out at Bow lock??

More to the point, is anyone wanting to go to Teddington vie Bow locks? Wanna team up?

I do have Navionics Charts!

Nipper

you could struggle to do that on a single tide, so you may want to go downstream for a bit on the ebb, and then up to Teddington on the flood. will be a longish day & some hanging around. (ps check insurance for below the barrier).

Thanks to you both!

I was really grasping at straws as I'm coming down the Lea at the moment and really didn't want to go through Duckets, back up the Regents etc, just to get on the Thames.

As i wrote the last message, I began to remember the times of HW next weekend and realized that Bow would not really be an option.

None more of an option than me taking the wife to the O2 and a trip on the Emerates cable cars tomorrow, because of the Tube strike! frusty.gif

Sometimes, one just has to relax and go with the flow!

Nipper

None more of an option than me taking the wife to the O2 and a trip on the Emerates cable cars tomorrow, because of the Tube strike! frusty.gif

The DLR isn't on strike, and nor is the Emirates Air Line, so your day out could still be possible.

So!

Having come down the Lea and bypassed Limehouse, because of what was said when I chatted to the lockie,

I am now sitting just above Brentford Gauging locks ready for my passage up to Teddington tomorrow at 11 - 30.

However, I have just met a chap on a boat that has told me that 9 boats left Limehouse today, and that Limehouse is open for business!

Now, I have traveled 27 miles from Limehouse area including 20 odd locks to get to Brentford.

today alone, I've been down the weed hatch 5 times and the bow thruster hatch twice all because of the weed problem here.

The question is, Have a the right to be pissed off??

Nipper

Yes and no :)

As I mentioned in post 8 the level has been ok and I was a bit surprised to hear of the restrictions.

You can be a bit peeved yes but West London through to Middlesex on the Grand Union is.. Er.. Well.. Um.. Interesting !!

Handy to have a Sainsbury and a Tesco with convenient moorings :)

Why be pi$$ed off?

You are yards from some great pubs my fave is the Brewery Tap round the back from Thames lock or just off the High Street from where you are.

http://goo.gl/maps/EnHRo

Mind you I assume you missed The Grapes at Limehouse that is something to cry about

Edited by Loddon

See notice below from C&RT website. I think the earlier fault must have meant that only one set of gates was working - hence you could lock through only at high tide with the gates open at both ends. Latest position appears to be:

Notice updates:
08/07/2015 @ 16:26

We can update to say that work is now 70% complete but there will be a short delay while extra parts are made to complete the repair.

We have increased the amount of time that the lock will be available. Please book in advance by calling 020 7308 9930.

From 7 July we're making emergency repairs at Limehouse Lock and this will reduce availability to half an hour either side of high tide. Please book in advance by calling 020 7308 9930.

For access to and from the Thames, boaters may find it easier to use the lock at Brentford. The lock can be booked by calling 020 8568 2779.

The lock at Bow may also be available and can be contacted on 020 7517 5570.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy