Cyclists bad attitude or selfish

b0atman

Featured Posts

Sadly there are ignorant people in all walks of life. I was fishing this morning and moved my rod parallel with the bank when the first boat passed and we had a good natured joke about the number on the canal. The second boat completely ignored my good morning as I reeled in. I was passed by cyclists who slowed down round my fishing tackle and said hello, and one who was doing about 25 mph and couldn't have cared less who and what were on the tow path.

I adopt the sail before steam approach, the more vulnerable user takes precedence even if it inconveniences me. I remember one large walking group who were leaving the path (a bridleway to which I had legal access) and heading over a stile. There was ample room to make way for me on my bike, which had already come to a standstill and wasn't travelling quickly beforehand, but they chose to completely block the way and negotiate the stile as slowly as they could while glowering and muttering. Maybe a previous cyclist had blotted his copy book, or perhaps the were just miserable old gits? Rudeness is the prerogative of the young, misanthropy the preference of the old. Life is too short to dwell on either.

Edited by Locksprite
  • Greenie 2

...As with cars on roads I'm much more concerned with the ability and concentration of a driver than I am with speed.

Clearly the concentration and skills of the riders are not sufficient for the speed they are travelling if they collide with things. Which I believe is where this post started. Also this.

Incidentally I saw two cyclists collide this morning outside my boat, one stopped to ask me directions and the other ploughed right into the back of him.

Clearly the concentration and skills of the riders are not sufficient for the speed they are travelling if they collide with things. Which I believe is where this post started. Also this.

Incidentally I saw two cyclists collide this morning outside my boat, one stopped to ask me directions and the other ploughed right into the back of him.

I agree entirely, the speed is second (or third) to attention and skill. My opinion is that cycling profficency should be harder and mandatory for cycle use on roads. If it were then the ability of the cycling population would increase and therefore better riders would be seen everywhere. But no goverment is going to put that rule in, last thing this world needs is an additional reason for people to get in cars.

haven't seen this on the thread but it sums up cyclists of a ceatain type

https://youtu.be/MckKqYHoLJI

Chatting to the blacksmith at the south end of Blisworth Tunnel the other day, he related the tale of a head-down lycra-clad cyclist who failed to notice that that the through towpath route runs up and over the hill, so carried on along the canal side, past the smithy building and piled into the tunnel portal at speed. Apparently he thought it was just another bridge, and assumed that the towpath carried on under it...

A slightly funny incident I witnessed in Chester a couple of weeks ago.

Cyclist speeding up the towpath passes me from behind.

But just ahead is a lady walking a dog, dog on a lead.

Said dog shoots from one side of the towpath to the other

Speeding cyclist has to slam on brakes and swerve stopping inches from the edge of the canal.

The only disapointment for me was.

That the cyclist never ended up in the canal

You are implying the truck was at fault. Do you have evidence of this.

Having driven trucks through central London, I have witnessed how stupid some cyclists can be.

Agreed

I agree entirely, the speed is second (or third) to attention and skill. My opinion is that cycling profficency should be harder and mandatory for cycle use on roads. If it were then the ability of the cycling population would increase and therefore better riders would be seen everywhere. But no goverment is going to put that rule in, last thing this world needs is an additional reason for people to get in cars.

I don't know thought government gets sweet fanny all out of cyclists in the way of revenue !

An obvious way of calming cycling behaviour is to licence them and require them to display their reg. no. on the bike and on themselves.

No doubt that doesn't stand a chance of ever being implemented because of 'administration costs' (i.e. the government would need to set up an entirely new department with under-secretaries and an entourage of assistants and clerks). With say 10 million cyclists and £20 licence fee, the revenue wouldn't begin to pay for such a department.

Where I walk the dogs regularly there is a tarmac path leading through a very wild part of a public park (an old stately home estate), winding up a hill alongside a babbling brook. It is used by hundreds of dog walkers and there are always spaniels and labs running onto and off the path and into the stream. A rogue cyclist often comes racing down at the same time most days, shouting at all and sundry to get out of the way. He left one woman in tears when he narrowly missed her and her dog, shouting that she should keep her dog under control. Signs make it clear that cyclists should give way to walkers and there is a 10mph limit. The park rangers know the guy and say they have told the police but they are not interested. If the cyclist was registered and every dog walker reported him his antics would soon be curtailed. This particular cyclist is not alone. There are many others who are inconsiderate and do not allow for many of the walkers being elderly, infirm and often quite deaf. They just cut through the pedestrians as if they are moving obstacles in a race. I would estimate that less than 50% of the cyclists using the path follow the proper code of behaviour. When I was a lad we didn't dare to ride close to other park users because we expected to be reported and then endure the wrath of the local bobby.

Was the dog on a lead and under control?

Was the cat on a lead and under control???

Links to the actual stories, please, its a bit hasty to blame the cyclist when the dog/cat may have caused the collision.

a couple of pastes from the London Boaters Facebook

Hello boaters,

On Monday night, my lovely cat was hit by a cyclist on the towpath and died in my arms. He was very friendly and brought a smile to everyone's face who was passing but was very scared of bikes and was usually very careful. The cyclist didn't stop but another boater took it upon themselves to tell me it was my fault for letting him play on the towpath but I can't control where he plays and it is not fair for a cat to be shut up in a boat all day especially in this heat.

I know it was an accident but to hit something at such a speed to kill it almost instantly is irresponsible cycling. Imagine if it had been a child that had been on the towpath.

I know a lot of boaters have issues with cyclists on the towpath but I also know a lot of you are cyclists yourselves so I urge everyone to set the right example: take your time, don't rush, don't hassle anyone to get past and look where you're going. Cycling fast should be reserved for the roads.

And please don't abuse me - I just want the towpath to be a nice, safe place for everyone.

and the other extreme:-

Any cyclists on the Waltham - Enfield stretch of towpath; 3 bikes down in as many miles due to drawing pins.

(8 in my front. 1 in the other guy's rear - so to speak. And 2 and 1 in the third)

You're not likely to see 'em, but carry a spare tube if you've got it.

11201872_10152900236336987_4139652045512

Any cyclists on the Waltham - Enfield stretch of towpath; 3 bikes down in as many miles due to drawing pins.

(8 in my front. 1 in the other guy's rear - so to speak. And 2 and 1 in the third)

FOUR drawing pins in ONE tyre at the same time. To quote Victor Meldrew, "I don't belieeeeve it!"

George ex nb Alton retired

FOUR drawing pins in ONE tyre at the same time. To quote Victor Meldrew, "I don't belieeeeve it!"

George ex nb Alton retired

There must have been an accidental spillage on the towpath. A kid walking to school with a hole in his stationery case perhaps.

Four drawing pins in one's tyre, FAR more annoying than having one's cat run over and killed.

Looks to me as though we (society) is learning all over again why cyclists were not allowed on footpaths back in the day.

I found a stinger strip on the Tixall wide a couple of weeks ago. Placed there by a particularly sad obnoxious prat on a boat, who had spent the preceding few days colonising the path with his drinking chairs and scowling. I know he put it there because I passed the same spot a few minutes before and after.

What a total idiot. While idiots on bikes may be potentially dangerous strips of sharp pins are actually so.

strips of sharp pins are actually so.

That would depend how long the pins are.

If they are drawing pin sized the only hazard they would present would be punctures or damage to people idiotic enough to be out with bare feet. Most shoes or sandals will handle drawing pins in my experience. There is a risk associated with small children falling into them but why are small children on the towpath anyway :huh:

I think dogs will avoid drawing pins or would be too light to cause a puncture problem. Big dogs may have issues but why have big dogs on a towpath :lol:

As long as the pins are short there really isn't a big hazard unless I am missing something (yes I know)

I would prefer a warning sign saying 'puncture area' or something as that would help to slow down the psychlists a bit :)

Going back to the earlier comment about finding the idea of blocking a cyclists way "out of order" or whatever - please remember the path is sometimes as little as 3 ft wide. This is too narrow for a cyclist to come steaming through at 13mph when there are other people about. No problem if we have a 6 or 8ft wide path but we don't always have that width !! I say WE because it is in theory a shared path.

Its not a deliberate blocking that is being suggested I am just discouraging the jump-out-the-way-and-say-sorry attitude as if the cyclist has some sort of priority. Attitude changes are needed and education otherwise it just ends up a cycle superhighway.

This rant is a comment on London towpaths I guess the rest are fine :)

A slightly funny incident I witnessed in Chester a couple of weeks ago.

Cyclist speeding up the towpath passes me from behind.

But just ahead is a lady walking a dog, dog on a lead.

Said dog shoots from one side of the towpath to the other

Speeding cyclist has to slam on brakes and swerve stopping inches from the edge of the canal.

The only disapointment for me was.

That the cyclist never ended up in the canal

why is that funny, even slightly?

why is that funny, even slightly?

Agreed. I thought I'd wandered into the Daily Mail forum. It's like saying someone's boat was caught on the cill, next thing we knew it was filling with water. Bloke shouting for help, gawd we laughed! Idiot shouldn't have got so close!

Agreed

I don't know thought government gets sweet fanny all out of cyclists in the way of revenue !

Other than sale tax they don't no. But the world obviously benefits from more cyclists.

Drawing pins are a terrible idea. Other than making the person that puts them down an utter **** they could cause a rider to lose control, and most definitely will not help glean the respect for other path users that some cyclists need to learn.

smiley_offtopic.gif (SLIGHTLY)

what has changed about bikes or bikers since I was a lad?

I used to ride to school and doing my paper round and I only touched the handlebars when I wanted to slow down or make a turn.

I rarely see that nowadays.

Me too!

The fashion in frame geometry had changed, I reckon. No way I can ride 'no hands' on any of my current bikes. I'm convinced if I could find a 1960's Falcon "Olympic" bike like I had at skool, I'd be able to ride it no hands just as before...

No front brake... and where are his pedals? what an interesting bicycle...