new rule - hot off the press.

matty40s

Featured Posts

I've been wondering whether there is an alternative approach to dealing with this nonsense. If someone claiming to represent CRT asks you to move in writing, and there is no legal basis behind their instruction, it is effectively harassment. It is a written threat (or at least could be depending on the wording). When harassment is reported to the police they could serve a PIN (Harassment Warning Notice) on the CRT representative.

I know, only a long shot, but it seems some of these notices are as lame as a member of the public leaving a notice on a car windscreen threatening you not to park outside their house. I'm pretty sure a 'CRT enforcement officer' has no more jurisdiction in law than a member of the public. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

If they are misrepresenting their official position then that is another matter which should be reported to the police. I understand this has happened in the past and they were convicted.

Edited by bassplayer

Oh dear, and here's me thinking we could moor anywhere on the tow path for 14 days that wasn't signed posted as being a shorter time frame or stating no mooring as long as we aren't obstructing other boats from passing, or on a services point, winding 'ol or lock landing.

Isn't the entire system just one lock pound after another? Or is it just in flights that we aren't allowed to moor in the pounds?

I've been wondering whether there is an alternative approach to dealing with this nonsense. If someone claiming to represent CRT asks you to move in writing, and there is no legal basis behind their instruction, it is effectively harassment. It is a written threat (or at least could be depending on the wording). When harassment is reported to the police they could serve a PIN (Harassment Warning Notice) on the CRT representative.

I know, only a long shot, but it seems some of these notices are as lame as a member of the public leaving a notice on a car windscreen threatening you not to park outside their house. I'm pretty sure a 'CRT enforcement officer' has no more jurisdiction in law than a member of the public. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

If they are misrepresenting their official position then that is another matter which should be reported to the police. I understand this has happened in the past and they were convicted.

A couple of points here, since the wonderful government has effectively trashed the Police Forces over the past 5 years you may well be very lucky to find an officer who has the time to deal with such triviality when he is already up to his neck in dealing with the mentally ill and Domestic violence amongst other things. A letter sent to you from CRT would be well down his list of priorities (assuming it ever made it onto his list of priorities!). Let's remember in the real world that what you are now getting from the Police is less from less, not as the Cameron would have you believe 'more from less'.

A second point, under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 it is necessary to "...pursue a course of conduct..." and one letter or note is not a course of conduct, more than one incidence is required.

Daft isn't it Betty Boo? All depends on the pound? We have always used the guidance in Nicholsons which does occasionally advise not to moor in specific pounds. And making a judgement about length of pound, how likely it is the boat will be on the bottom etc. We tend not to unless an official mooring and there are a fair few - Hatton, Napton, Marsworth, Wigan and there is loads of space on the Atherstone flight.

Keep thinking of more flights where there are visitor moorings! Stoke Bruerne. I shall stop now and just put etc. Ha! How ridiculous and plain silly CRT seem to be making themselves look at the moment.

Val

Since day one I've long assumed that mooring in pounds (those in flights) was a no-no and that those who do were ignorantly taking the proverbial...

Perhaps it may not be prohibited but IMO it certainly isn't the done thing.

On my first canal trip an experienced friend told me that it's not a good idea to moor overnight in a flight of locks because of the possibility of changing water level. Having seen quite a number of boats aground at silly angles, I reckon it was good advice.

Dean. I don't think boats sink in lock pounds unless there's another problem with the boat. The risk is the water levels lowering and grounding the boat.

so no risk of sinking = no need for rules not to moor there

My first wooden cruiser, 40 years ago, had a v bottom and was grounded in a lock pound overnight, moored there because I didn't know any better. It was listing alarmingly towards the middle of the cut, pulled it back nearer the vertical before refilling the pound. It probarbly wouldn't have refloated if I hadn't. Later it was sunk down the Aylesbury arm but that's another story.

ETA Since then I have never moored in a pound in a lock flight its just not worth the risk of grounding.

Edited by Loddon

Well if it the same Voluntary lock keeper who we encountered last year, he was a useless individual. He walked past us without even speaking, let alone offering any assistance. I got the impression he just enjoyed being important, which regrettably he was not.

Exactly my thought when single handed was struggling with a gate and the blinkered fool walked past .

Many thanks to the CRT café girl at Marsden who offered help to me whilst on her way to work that's customer relations.

Moored above the top lock at Braunston for the historics rally, moving down Sunday afternoon to wind and back up through the bottom lock. Moored up overnight to go back on to the marina on the Monday when the volunteer lockie came and spoke to my mate. Said we could stay while we had a cuppa but could not moor overnight between the locks. I thought this a little strange as everytime I go to Braunston there are boats moored between locks 1 and 2, 2 and 3 & 3 and 4. Indeed I have seen Wharf House narrowboats working on a couple for several days where we had moored. I decided my helming hours were up for the day and stayed there overnight.

Interestingly this lockie had made it all the way to the top lock but was more than happy to let single boats down, one after the other on what is probably the busiest weekend on the busiest set of locks in the country.

The water levels in the lock pounds can be rectified if the volockies get rid of those 10 foot from the tea hut chains....

I know I am heading North tommorow, but might just go and moor up in the bottom pound just for the hell of it.

Edited by matty40s