Using a PC with a Victron Multiplus

Profzarkov

Featured Posts

Hello

I'm thinking of setting up the software on a PC and pluggin my laptop into my Victron Multiplus to get at the configuration - has anyone tried this? It needs a USB/RJ45 convertor - the Vcitron retails at £50 but there are generic ones on Ebay for just a few pounds - is there really any difference? I know you can use the dip switches but has anyone "played" with the Victron software?

Steve

Hello

I'm thinking of setting up the software on a PC and pluggin my laptop into my Victron Multiplus to get at the configuration - has anyone tried this? It needs a USB/RJ45 convertor - the Vcitron retails at £50 but there are generic ones on Ebay for just a few pounds - is there really any difference? I know you can use the dip switches but has anyone "played" with the Victron software?

Steve

"USB/RJ45" just describes the connectors. Ok so the USB end is well defined, but what is actually connected to what pins on the RJ45? Presuming it is serial (RS232-type) data, which bits are connected to which of the 8 RJ45 pins? Are the levels standard RS232 (+-15v)? Or more likely I think, TTL levels ie 0v to+5.

I haven't played with Victron software but have done with Mastervolt. It is certainly better than fiddling with dip switches.

Edited by nicknorman

Victron software is easy gives you a lot of tweaks. Used it on the barge with the victron seriel inteface, it was a while ago. No idea if any of the cheaper converters will work.

Only altered ours yesterday via VE Net to increase the inverter mains voltage but using the interface they sell. Easy to use and well worth the money. If we intend o be on a shoreline for any length of time then I change the charge settings then change them back when we cruise.

I've never tried the dip switches. Always looked too fiddly to me.

There are some settings that can be changed using the interface but not on the dip switches. It was only through the intreface that I was able to get the multiplus to accept a supply from an inexpensive generator. It actually would not accept supply from a Honda open frame generator before either.

Don