Poste Restante.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

Following an incident involving a boat hook, alcohol and general f**kwittery, my mobile phone is now at the bottom of a lock on the Staffs and Worcs canal. It's not a huge problem, it was an ancient Nokia, I have a spare phone and I've ordered a new SIM card with the same number which my kids can bring up when they visit at the end of the month.

Ideally though, I need to get the SIM card sooner than later so was looking at getting sent Poste Restante to a Post Office, specifically Wheaton Aston. I can't find any information as to whether all Post Offices offer this service, so has anybody used Poste Restante and have any information about it?

I approached the post lady at the little post office in Welford about Poste Restante, her kindly reply was "Oh don't worry about that sir, just put c/o this post office and this address, that will be fine".

And it was, my phone arrived within days, having had a new screen fitted!

Nipper

Thanks, I should be able to sort this out in the week, I'm at Gailey Locks at the mo so I should be at Wheaton Aston either tomorrow or Tuesday morning, and I'm not in any rush so I'll be able to sort it out. I do have a spare phone with SIM so I'm not completely helpless.

Just wondering though, what have other folk managed to drop into the canal, never to be seen again?

It is inside the co-op and they do accept mail but liked to be asked first

i think it is a (rather poorly stocked) Spa at Wheaton Aston not a co-op

but, you have reminded me - there is a PO in the Co-op at Brewood - go to Brewood SS it's a much nicer place to stop , better pubs & shops etc

i think it is a (rather poorly stocked) Spa at Wheaton Aston not a co-op

but, you have reminded me - there is a PO in the Co-op at Brewood - go to Brewood SS it's a much nicer place to stop , better pubs & shops etc

Yes correct I was thinking of Brewood. Great butcher in Brewood I would much rather stay close to Brewood than Wheaton personally

We've found post risante variable - it seems to be down to the whim of the person who's running the post office. One piece of advice I would give is to tell the sender to put a return address on the back of the envelope - we had one occasion when Dave's aunt and his mum wanted to send him birthday cards. We asked at the local post office if it was OK, the Spar had only just got their licence, or whatever it is to run a post office, but couldn't see a problem so we sent the address.

When Dave went to the PO to collect his birthday cards he was told apologetically that the postman who delivered them told the new PO owners that they weren't allowed to accept mail on behalf of third parties and must return it immediately or risk losing their licence.

New worried PO owners did so and without any return address the cards are lost forever. Thankfully Dave's well past the age to have money in his cards, but it was still bloody annoying.

We use click and collect services nowadays - we haven't tried post restante since that episode.

We've found post risante variable - it seems to be down to the whim of the person who's running the post office. One piece of advice I would give is to tell the sender to put a return address on the back of the envelope - we had one occasion when Dave's aunt and his mum wanted to send him birthday cards. We asked at the local post office if it was OK, the Spar had only just got their licence, or whatever it is to run a post office, but couldn't see a problem so we sent the address.

When Dave went to the PO to collect his birthday cards he was told apologetically that the postman who delivered them told the new PO owners that they weren't allowed to accept mail on behalf of third parties and must return it immediately or risk losing their licence.

New worried PO owners did so and without any return address the cards are lost forever. Thankfully Dave's well past the age to have money in his cards, but it was still bloody annoying.

We use click and collect services nowadays - we haven't tried post restante since that episode.

How does click and collect work with letters or in your case birthday cards. If sending a letter to a collect point how much is this service and who operates it.

We have used Post Restante all over, we usually just ring said PO and check its ok. Never had a problem, but last month couldn't get through on phone number, was diverting to a fax, so rang PO 0345 and explained situation, we were told that all PO should offer the service, so took the chance and had it delivered and it was fine. They did apologise as they had a problem with their phone line it was only working as a fax.

Had a post office recently refuse a parcel from a courier. Complained and the postmaster was told he must accept from any delivery source as long as it has the persons name and the words Post Restante to be collected.

So if you are getting a delivery might be wise to check who is sending and check the PO know they have to accept if a courier.

One of the clues is that it should say "Poste Restante" in the address format, and that the holding PO should be willing to accept Poste Restante items.

Mine was properly addressed and so were the others that came via parcel force. The office has accepted mail for many years but perhaps it was a new postmaster or many others have not received courisr delivered mail.

How does click and collect work with letters or in your case birthday cards. If sending a letter to a collect point how much is this service and who operates it.

apologies I'm on a family holiday and dipping in to the forum when I can. You use click and collect with companies not personal stuff - the birthday card situation hasn't been remedied. Apologies if my post implied otherwise.

Hubby has received a few items via click and connect- no fees involved - I'll ask him how it works but I think Google could be your friend. :)