Minimum distance? The enforcement officers have it in black and white.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

The following answer has been received from Matthew Symonds by email, and additionally he phoned me to discuss......

So the volunteer should not have told Betty what he did, as the information he gave was incorrect.

Fortunately on this occasion the volunteer could be easily identified, but in the case of the one at Whilton Locks CRT have still been unable to do so.

Can I please therefore please ask yet again that whenever someone is reporting something that a volunteer either did or said, that they make sure they have noted their name, so we are able to follow it up when what they are doing exceeds what they are supposed to be doing. (No need to post the name publicly, but needs to be available privately, if follow up is to be effective).

Alan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I do appreciate it.

Hope it was ok that I posted publicly the volunteers first name, had I had his last name I would have PM'd you and Steve with it.

I owe you a greenie, but I'm out today so you'll have to make due with one of thesehug.gif and one of these cheers.gif

Ta

B~

The whole episode of the three locks has been a comedy of errors really. It was, and is not a busy mooring spot. This was just James Griffin being his usual prattish self, and Richard parry allowing himself to be suckered into it.

James still feels very strongly that not only should this be the case at Three Locks, but also (as you know) has a list of many other sites on the Southern GU where he would like to see the same, many of them canal-side pubs within easy cruising of his Linslade base.

He firmly believes that for much of the year his hire fleet makes up the majority of the boats moving, (I know you have heard him say the same).

Clearly there is a huge gulf between what some would like to happen, and what many of us believes neither needs to happen, nor should happen.

I don't think this will go away, and I'm not sure even if several of us continue to oppose it through whatever channels are available to us, that we will necessarily be able to hold back the tide.

I do appreciate that some, not just hire boat operators, are in favour, but I believe CRT are not getting the message from a large number of people who are not in favour. I would urge people to keep letting CRT know their views, or I still fear tha tthe GU may end up littered with short stay moorings in a bid to stop hire boaters having to walk 100 yards to the pub.

I'll repeat what the landlord at our local award winning canal-side pub said to me a while back - generally the hire boaters go to the supermarket, and stock up on beer, and have a canal-side barbeque - they rarely visit his pub. Most of his canal based trade comes from the moorers that CRT seem to want to discourage from mooring near to his pub.

I wish CRT would sort out the disgusting behaviour of James Griffin at his mooring base in Leighton Buzzard. Again today, he was four abreast at the pinchpoint. The water levels in the area are exceptionally low, which makes it really difficult to squeeze past his boats. His attitude is disgraceful when boats go through and he is around.

• Greenie 1

I wish CRT would sort out the disgusting behaviour of James Griffin at his mooring base in Leighton Buzzard. Again today, he was four abreast at the pinchpoint. The water levels in the area are exceptionally low, which makes it really difficult to squeeze past his boats. His attitude is disgraceful when boats go through and he is around.

Must be personal, he is always OK when I go through there, even when I had the barge and just pushed his boats out of the way to get through. I find the clanking of his badly moored boat quite musical when I pass on the NB.

Edited by Loddon

Oh, I was wondering who this Griffin person was. Now I understand.

I passed recently. One of his boats was on the loose, side on, right across the channel as I approached, but someone came and hauled it back. Apart from allowing such minor inconveniences, what is disgraceful about his attitude?

I agree that we should not create short term moorings near pubs to cater for the hire industry especially on the Southern GU where there is rarely a problem mooring on the towpath and having a short walk. To be fair to James he is a canal enthusiast and is a great supporter of the canal clean ups .

I have never previously in many many years had a problem mooring at the top of three locks ( I can't more at the bottom as its too shallow) and can't understand why CRT and the SE boater group approved it hopefully this decision will be reversed.

Edited by Tuscan

I agree that we should not create short term moorings near pubs to cater for the hire industry especially on the Southern GU where there is rarely a problem mooring on the towpath and having a short walk. To be fair to James he is a canal enthusiast and is a great supporter of the canal clean ups .

I have never previously in many many years had a problem mooring at the top of three locks ( I can't more at the bottom as its too shallow) and can't understand why CRT and the SE boater group approved it hopefully this decision will be reversed.

Lol. Your like a chameleon at times.

There are barely signs that say 14 day moorings, (for that is what the entirety of Berkhamsted towpath still is).

Those that exists are defaced, and in many cases illegible.

CRT produced a map showing which bits they currently consider to be visitor mooring, (14 days) and it was only the bit near the station, (arguably the worst bit to moor in).

Previous data gathering was said to establish that there was after all no need for shorter time restrictions - the response from the volunteers was that they wanted to continue to gather data - looks like they have their own agenda to me, and CRT certainly didn't rell them they wanted them to stop!

I have been expecting the next problem to be that, because it is mostly NOT a formal VM, (according to CRT), people on winter tow-path moorings could legally stay here over last winter, and many did, (paying, of course). This did make it quite crowded, and I feared data gathered then would then be used to make a case for short stay moorings and overstay charges. Am I getting two suspicious and cynical? I would love to think I am, but fear I am not.

People are continuing to play games, and I fear ultimately things will happen for no valid reason other than that some people feel they should.

The only value of 14 day signs - and it is pretty limited - is that this is a place which CRT accept should be maintained in a condition so that mooring is possible. Otherwise is offers no distinction from a ny other unmarked location. Certainly I note that in many cases the towpath grass cutters to take it into account - ie they cut the full width on visits where they only cut the narrower path - but the effort to ensure that they are properly dredged does seem to be a bit hit and miss. In most cases there are rings or bollards but not always although I have yet to see such a designation without at least a narrow strip of ground into which spikes can be hammered. It would be even more pointless to put up such a sign with no rings, no bollards and no grass - even though there are plenty of such stretches where I would dearly like to be able to moor!

We should also be a little bit sensitive to the consiederable difficulty in getting a large organistion to keep all its 'staff' (inc volunteers) 'on message'. Even supermarkets go to the lengths of giving till operators a 'script' to ensure that key questions/offers are made. It will not be any time soon that all of CRT, at every level, get it right every time and the concept of volunteer, almost written on the tin, is that it attracts people with an agenda - after all, why else are they volunteering? (Leaving out any on Community Pay Back!) The only leverage that the organisation has to keep people on message is to threaten to take away their volunteer t-shIrt!

It will help to improve the future if discrepancies are reported but especially so if done in a spirit of clearly wanting to help the future rather than to pick fights today. (For the record I am definitely not suggesting that you are doing this but there clearly are boaters around who do - after all sides have their own agenda to follow)

Nope because I am not on a visitor mooring or moored anywhere close to facilities. When I left I was on a 5 day mooring but arranged for my boat to move to 14 days at the end of the 5 days.

Isn't it? News to me happy to use another term if you care to suggest one

depends on what was in between the 14 and the 5

Leases that include mooring usually contain a provision that prevents obstruction to navigation.

Instead of obscure retorts to other posters, it might be better to make a formal complaint if you frequently have difficulty passing this hire base.

I have .

Unlike yourself and a few others in here, who only tend to sound off on the internet, I do stand in front of people and express my views. You should try it

The whole episode of the three locks has been a comedy of errors really. It was, and is not a busy mooring spot. This was just James Griffin being his usual prattish self, and Richard parry allowing himself to be suckered into it.

Mooring below the locks past the waterpoint usually has a boat or two on them, but depth is an issue. At the top of the locks is generally empty, in fact I have just come through, and there are only three boats in the area, none of which are on the 48 hr moorings.

A classic shiny example of sheer ignorance and pomp.

Pots and kettles come to mind. Especially with memories of how hire boats are moored when at the base in Leighton Buzzard. Makes double parking look a minor infringement!

I have .

Unlike yourself and a few others in here, who only tend to sound off on the internet, I do stand in front of people and express my views. You should try it

Instead of trying to belittle others might I ask that you provide a copy of your complaint.

After all, it is of general interest for anyone having difficulty navigating past this hire base.

Instead of trying to belittle others might I ask that you provide a copy of your complaint.

After all, it is of general interest for anyone having difficulty navigating past this hire base.

Lol.

I think your first sentence above is a bit rich, given your hobby.

Edited by jenlyn

It is about time that clear instructions are issued by CART as to how frequently and how far a boat has to move to stay within the regulations. At the moment it seems to be a case of individual judgement for each enforcement officer.. and surely that cannot be fair, or right?

It is about time that clear instructions are issued by CART as to how frequently and how far a boat has to move to stay within the regulations. At the moment it seems to be a case of individual judgement for each enforcement officer.. and surely that cannot be fair, or right?

Distance is irrelevant as the courts have confirmed. It's all about intention.

If you want to minimise your cruising range, you clearly are not intending to use the boat "bona fide for navigation throughout the period of the licence." Or something like that...