Minimum distance? The enforcement officers have it in black and white.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

What crt need is a few people to take the p155 deliberately then be held to account and cause a win in court for crt.

There might be some ££ in it for people who have a house they can move back into anyway (live on a boat while someone else pays off the mortgage type of arrangement) and don't intend to live for the rest of their lives on the ditches :lol:

Selfish boaters do not cause C&RT problems but they do to other boaters.

Ken

No, most (all proper) boaters from all walks of life respect each other. It's only those jealous people who don't truly respect this wonderful boaty world who have a problem. CRT is just the tool selfish boaters use to try to spoil our fun. I've seen it first hand.

Again you are not comparing like with like.

We pay an annual licence that allows us to moor. CRT need to show why a basic towpath with rings and no other services is so much more than moorings with facilities

Agreed

Be interesting to see if the pro rata charge for a reserved winter mooring on a visitor mooring is more than £25 a day. If it isn't then surely the extended stay charge is actually a fine.

Agreed

Be interesting to see if the pro rata charge for a reserved winter mooring on a visitor mooring is more than £25 a day. If it isn't then surely the extended stay charge is actually a fine.

Yup be interesting but they should get the first 48 hours free :)

Correction they get the first 14 days free

Agreed

It cost me £150 for a month this March on an unserviced piece of towpath, I had my 14 days before it started. Edited by matty40s

The reason for this charge, as I see it, is to try to prevent boaters overstaying. If it works without the need for court action then all well and good, if not then at some point C&RT will either have to bring a test case or think again. Selfish boaters do not cause C&RT problems but they do to other boaters.

Ken

BW did bring a test case for non payment of overstaying charges four or five years ago. They withdrew it on the day it was to be heard.

• Greenie 1

We were clocked by an official Patrol Officer yesterday. Had the chance to ask if volunteers are used for collecting Data. His reply was a definate yes. They should be restricted to monitoring moorings other than 14 day moorings.

I stated that CRT had denied this. He was surprised they had.

Martyn

We were clocked by an official Patrol Officer yesterday. Had the chance to ask if volunteers are used for collecting Data. His reply was a definate yes. They should be restricted to monitoring moorings other than 14 day moorings.

I stated that CRT had denied this. He was surprised they had.

Martyn

Just had a wee conversation with a volunteer data collector here in Berkhamstead, he was very pleasant wearing the Blue CRT short sleved top with volunteer clearly marked on the left hand arm, a name badge and a ID lanyard.

I asked him about his duties and he explained that he walks the towpath on Tuesdays & Thrusdays in Berkhamstead recording all the boat numbers and then goes home and logs them into the CRT system. On top of that, there is the EO who passes through every 14 days.

He explained that the whole of Berkhamstead was considered one area and we could moor anywhere there was a vacancy for 14 days; as in we could moor in 3 or 4 different locations as long as the whole stay didn't go over the 14 days in which case CRT would issue us with a £25 overstay charge per day. He didn't do this in a stern or abrasive way at all, and only did so after me asking questions.

Funny enough last winter we moored for 10 days on the towpath side by the first water point you come to when entering Berko from the south and then moved up to just before the winding hole across from the train station and stayed there for about 10 days, in February/March when I asked for our data log info it was recorded as such and confirmed that there wasn't a problem with our cruising pattern. So I guess things have changed a bit since then.

ETA - this all took place while I was out deadheading my flowers and Dave was helping the lovely couple who bought ALBION (Junior's last boat) down through the lock. The boat is still looking Great Junior and the couple are really enjoying it...though they are having some probs getting the hot water to heat properly without running the engine hard?

Edited by Bettie Boo

Spoke to him on Saturday and he did keep saying "as far as he knows"

If CRT charge us £25 a day for moving to a new place after 14 days which doesn't satisfy the map that we have no access to they will need to take us to court.

I asked him where I can get the map and he said you can't unless you have him with you.

I'll be honest I don't understand any more.

If CRT charge us £25 a day for moving to a new place after 14 days which doesn't satisfy the map that we have no access to they will need to take us to court.

I asked him where I can get the map and he said you can't unless you have him with you.

Two comments...

1) Nobody else understands either. Not even CRT.

2) It's easy to understand. If you're worried you're not moving far enough, then you're right, you're not moving far enough. The thought process alone of worrying you aren't moving far enough illustrates your lack of intent to use the boat bona fide for navigation throughout the period of the licence. Move further!

• Greenie 1

I do sympathise.

You would think it would be cheap and easy enough to do something like a colour code marking on locks or moorings, saying that you can only stay within one colour coded area for 14 days.

Just had a wee conversation with a volunteer data collector here in Berkhamstead, he was very pleasant wearing the Blue CRT short sleved top with volunteer clearly marked on the left hand arm, a name badge and a ID lanyard.

I asked him about his duties and he explained that he walks the towpath on Tuesdays & Thrusdays in Berkhamstead recording all the boat numbers and then goes home and logs them into the CRT system. On top of that, there is the EO who passes through every 14 days.

He explained that the whole of Berkhamstead was considered one area and we could moor anywhere there was a vacancy for 14 days; as in we could moor in 3 or 4 different locations as long as the whole stay didn't go over the 14 days in which case CRT would issue us with a £25 overstay charge per day. He didn't do this in a stern or abrasive way at all, and only did so after me asking questions.

Funny enough last winter we moored for 10 days on the towpath side by the first water point you come to when entering Berko from the south and then moved up to just before the winding hole across from the train station and stayed there for about 10 days, in February/March when I asked for our data log info it was recorded as such and confirmed that there wasn't a problem with our cruising pattern. So I guess things have changed a bit since then.

ETA - this all took place while I was out deadheading my flowers and Dave was helping the lovely couple who bought ALBION (Junior's last boat) down through the lock. The boat is still looking Great Junior and the couple are really enjoying it...though they are having some probs getting the hot water to heat properly without running the engine hard?

Hi Betty. Did this chap tell you were Berkhamsted starts and finishes in his world ?

Two comments...

1) Nobody else understands either. Not even CRT.

2) It's easy to understand. If you're worried you're not moving far enough, then you're right, you're not moving far enough. The thought process alone of worrying you aren't moving far enough illustrates your lack of intent to use the boat bona fide for navigation throughout the period of the licence. Move further!

Im not aware that Berkhampstead is currently subject to any restrictions save that you are required to move every 14 days as you pass through now we apparently have someone in a CRT uniform saying that you are liable to a a £25 excess penalty charge if you stay in an undefined area longer than 14 days.

It is perhaps expected that boaters might be confused about some of the new terms and conditions and enforcement process but I would expect individuals that represent CRT to be better informed.

How does this fit in with what the SE Boaters group have been told.?

Mike, we are on a 200 mile round trip between now and November. But need to use berkhamsted station later this week. We have moved from the approach to berkhamstead to the other end of town near northchurch.

I think it's ok.

The volunteer enforcer is saying I should look at the map that no one but him has. Hence my worry. CRT know but didn't actually say yes or no. Just that it is on file. What does that mean.

The volunteer enforcer is saying I should look at the map that no one but him has. Hence my worry. CRT know but didn't actually say yes or no. Just that it is on file. What does that mean.

If he won't show you the supposed map it would be reasonable to ask him to look at it for you and tell you yes or no.

I don;t think he has a map, and he will say something like, 'they have the map back in the office'...

Hi Betty. Did this chap tell you were Berkhamsted starts and finishes in his world ?

Nope, but in fairness to him I didn't ask either.

Like I said, he wasn't confrontational at all, and I didn't want to come across as giving him a hard time either, we were just having a chat as I was tending the flowers and he jotted down our boat number.

Nope, but in fairness to him I didn't ask either.

Like I said, he wasn't confrontational at all, and I didn't want to come across as giving him a hard time either, we were just having a chat as I was tending the flowers and he jotted down our boat number.

He was talking utter and total bull###t. Was it phil from boatshed? Late 50's, glasses and beard.

The whole thing is becoming a debacle.

Mike, we are on a 200 mile round trip between now and November. But need to use berkhamsted station later this week. We have moved from the approach to berkhamstead to the other end of town near northchurch.

I think it's ok.

Some would say that 200 miles is less then a weeks cruising ;)

I think the new data system on the iPads might have a map on it. We'll at least have the network divided up into 1km chunks. This system only came live last week, so I've not seen it yet.

Regards kris

Denise Yelland when asked at last week's meeting denied knowledge of any maps.

That does not mean there are none of course.

He was talking utter and total bull###t. Was it phil from boatshed? Late 50's, glasses and beard.

The whole thing is becoming a debacle.

His name badge said "Tony" - mid to late 50's early 60's (but I'm awful at guessing ages) wearing glasses, fairly heavy set no beard though.

Denise Yelland when asked at last week's meeting denied knowledge of any maps.

That does not mean there are none of course.

I'm shure that means there is, but I think they have done it by just using a grid of 1km for the entire network.

Regards kris

To aid gps location.

Edited by kris88

His name badge said "Tony" - mid to late 50's early 60's (but I'm awful at guessing ages) wearing glasses, fairly heavy set no beard though.

Phil used to do that patch. Must be a new guy.

Lord knows where he is getting his rubbish from. I mean, although CRT deny this when brought to light, somebody is obviously feeding it. Someone somewhere being very liberal with the truth.

Not sure how long we are staying here for, depends on the weather really, but if we're still here on Thursday I'll see if I can catch him to get a bit more info and ask about this map thing folks are talking about.

He said he does Tuesday's and Thrusday's