Bugsworth Basin.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

I'm making plans and need the forum's expertise, please.

Is it possible to moor at or in the vicinity of Bugsworth for longer than 48hrs, would it be wise to leave a boat unattended there, and is it practical to get a train from close by?

Cheers,

MP.

Or Whaley Bridge, just across the road from the train station. It's pretty stitched up though, 2 boats have been here a long time, with permits I think, and the coal man will be along on Saturday and will move anyone who is in 'his' mooring. You can sometimes get in on the 7 day bit on the towpath but it's a it dark and gloomy, and probably not the safest place to leave a boat unattended.

Overall Furness Vale is probably a better bet.

A few years ago, we left our boat on an unoccupied permitted mooring at Whaley Brtidhe for several weeks (with permission) without any problems. We had a chat with one of the permanent moorers who was more than happy to keep an eye on our boat dor us.

When I was at Bugsworth in November the volenters said I. Could stay for a week if I have a contribution to the trust. There is a railway station in Whaley sorry no idea where they run to. I also understand they allow longer stays than a week but I think this is only in winter as it is very busy in summer.

When I was at Bugsworth in November the volenters said I. Could stay for a week if I have a contribution to the trust. There is a railway station in Whaley sorry no idea where they run to. I also understand they allow longer stays than a week but I think this is only in winter as it is very busy in summer.

Whilst the BBHT have authority to allow boats to extend their stay (provided that boats move on if others arrive, which precludes leaving a boat unattended), it is on the VERY strict understanding that should they be caught out selling indulgences, their management of the moorings will end.

Under no circumstances are they allowed to offer overstays in return for a donation

Hourly service from Buxton to Manchester Picadilly. with good connections via Stockport.

Regular trains into Manchester and Sheffield. We also visited Buxton by train. The station is of course at Whaley Bridge which isn't much of a walk from the basin.

We left our boat unattended for a few days without problem. We also overstayed the 48hrs. We spoke to staff in the cabin (it was open at weekends) who were clear that they could not give permission. I did purchase a couple of their history dvds.

This was 2/3 years ago and the place was fairly empty when we arrived. We did try to book in at Furnace Vale but no room, which left us little option.

Hope you enjoyed the museum.

Regards

Rog

Hope you enjoyed the museum.

The museum was great, as was watching the ships passing on the ship canal. The only problem was that the lower basin has no shade, and is very sheltered - it felt about 5 degrees warmer down there than up the top. Not a good place to spend the hottest days of the year, so far.

Anyone using the narrow locks at Ellesmere Port, beware that the top gates of the top lock are capable of dumping a large quantity of water into a boat that gets too close. :(

MP.

We did try to book in at Furnace Vale but no room, which left us little option.

Is this referring to the Marina? Dry dock? You can moor up to 14 days inline at Furness if you go past the marina, through the swingbridge. I think that's what the previous poster meant. No need to book, but it can get busy there due to the stunning view.

Last poster has got it right. We were hanging around FURNESS Vale for a week. No parking spots by the marina - boats need to get out y'know. North of swing bridge view East over Goyt Valley pleasant and free-4-all parking-up.

Forget parking Whaley Bridge arm, chock-a-block permanent moorings.

Bugsworth loads-o-space, towpath or single-track road into WB. Tescos open 0600-0000. Pear Tree cafe good, Goyt Inn good (no food), Shepherds pub so-so

Furness Vale Soldier Dick pub thumbs-up.

Buy Swizzels Matlow sweeties, from shop near canal just downhill from New Mills marina.

Spent last night there, only 12 boats there, room for about 50, good meal had in Navigation, left early now in Droylsden Marina on the Hollingwood Branch of the Ashton Canal, a must do stop over on the way into Manchester, Great people, good pubs, Tesco etc 2 mins away.

Hi all. I've only just joined the forum but regularly visit Bugsworth as family have moored on the Upper Peak for some years. Moorings in the basin can't be booked in advance and if busy then 48hrs is all you'll get if you can find a spot. At quiet times however it is possible to get an extension. You can ask for this and fill in the forms in the shop. They will issue you with a card to put above your CRT licence. They will not ask for a donation although it's pretty poor form for someone not to make one. If you need an extension go and see them before the 48hrs runs out. There is someone around most days of the summer. I was in there last month and stayed 5 days as it wasn't busy but the weekend before was a Gardner rally, Easter saw a gala, and places then were like rocking horse manure. The possibility of an extra few days is just that and I wouldn't count on being able to stay there for anything longer.

There is no mooring between Bugsworth basins and back up the arm to the junction but the stretch between the junction and back towards Furness Vale offers some pleasant towpath locations, although a little shallow in places. You can virtually forget mooring between the junction and Whaley Bridge. Much of the stretch is permanent moorings. Whaley basin is also small and busy, tight enough just to turn but rarely space to moor other than for water.

I can't say how safe it is to leave the boat moored up unattended for any length of time but there are far worse parts of the network. Plenty of towpath users during the day and I've walked down there at night many times.

Regular trains from Furness and Whaley, stations are close to the canal. Big Tesco at entry to bugsworth arm and plenty of shops in Whaley.

Would second the pubs already namechecked in this thread. Navigation, Goyt in Whaley and Soldier in Furness are all great. 'EmeraldFox' I think I may have met you in the Soldier last Sunday lunch and chatted boats briefly.

Would definitely recommend a visit to Bugsworth for a few days to anyone.

Haha! Or, in bargees speak: Aaargghh, You be righty me Hearty!

Yes, we have left the pastural shires of the southern Oxford and are trekking through the rugged Pennine grits. Standedge Tunnel took 1hr40mins (= average). The Lower Peak was quiet, and we have passed zero boats coming the other way for 4 days along the HNC (whilst in motion) so we were in shock when having haggis + tatties before a lock we had made ready a girl turns up with a windlass and asks if we intend using it!!

That was the only boat we have seen today during 20 locks. So different to Banbury!

Slowing down for a few days in 'Slow-it' (geddit?), painting & stuff to catch up on. May even have time to pop into the Virtual Pub and catch up on the World's News.

Edited by Emerald Fox

Or Whaley Bridge, just across the road from the train station. It's pretty stitched up though, 2 boats have been here a long time, with permits I think, and the coal man will be along on Saturday and will move anyone who is in 'his' mooring. You can sometimes get in on the 7 day bit on the towpath but it's a it dark and gloomy, and probably not the safest place to leave a boat unattended.

Overall Furness Vale is probably a better bet.

Just to avoid confusion, this is most definitely NOT Alton. It is another boat which covers the vast distance from Whaley Bridge to Poynton once a fortnight in one direction only, selling the odd bag of coal and has done so for several years.

George ex nb Alton retired

Just to avoid confusion, this is most definitely NOT Alton. It is another boat which covers the vast distance from Whaley Bridge to Poynton once a fortnight in one direction only, selling the odd bag of coal and has done so for several years.

George ex nb Alton retired

Yes I should have made that clear. Alton provides a fantastic service once a fortnight. The other chap, well, make your own minds up if you visit.

Yes I should have made that clear. Alton provides a fantastic service once a fortnight. The other chap, well, make your own minds up if you visit.

Ah, yes, nice chap, currently in the 56th year of an attempt on the world endurance record for being miserable.

Ah, yes, nice chap, currently in the 56th year of an attempt on the world endurance record for being miserable.

You think so? I've always found both of them to be friendly, and very helpful.

You think so? I've always found both of them to be friendly, and very helpful.

Brian is always pleasant.

The other bloke I have never seen without a scowl.

Now, I am not in the market for buying coal, but where I want to buy fenders and the like, I will buy from somebody who doesn't sit there looking grumpy. Fortunately, I have ample choice.

Brian is always pleasant.

The other bloke I have never seen without a scowl.

Now, I am not in the market for buying coal, but where I want to buy fenders and the like, I will buy from somebody who doesn't sit there looking grumpy. Fortunately, I have ample choice.

I understand now, and agree completely.