Storing diesel

Ricco1

Featured Posts

No, none, there are regulations relating to the storage of diesel but these don;t kick in until amounts of 200 litres+ on land installations.

Thanks. Sorry should have mentioned it's a hire boat, does that make any difference?

OK as long as you are not planning on using a "45 gallon" barrel as that is over 200 litres, irrespective of you using the full volume or not, as it is capable of holding over 200 litres you must have a 110% bund.

Thanks. Sorry should have mentioned it's a hire boat, does that make any difference?

I would suggest that if it is accessible by your hirers and they could 'fiddle' with it the answer would be "No Way".

The fine from the EA for pollution would bankrupt you.

Why not just have a bigger tank ?

(My new boat has 3 tanks totalling 2850 litres so it can be done)

There's a bow locker. I say locker but the reality is that it's a void with a sheet of 1" ply behind it, secured by several screws.

It would be handy to store a 20 litre drum of diesel there during late July and August when my fortnightly fuel top ups might not be sufficient. Hope that helps.

Why not just have a bigger tank ?

(My new boat has 3 tanks totalling 2850 litres so it can be done)

Why would anyone need such capacity on a canal boat? (Assuming it's a canal boat). Diesel heating in winter?

I only have about 350 litres, but at the low rate of fuel consumption by my engine it often stays in the tank too long meaning a greater potential for contamination.

Why would anyone need such capacity on a canal boat? (Assuming it's a canal boat). Diesel heating in winter?

I only have about 350 litres, but at the low rate of fuel consumption by my engine it often stays in the tank too long meaning a greater potential for contamination.

Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups (coined by Mr. Eugene Lewis Fordsworthe, who later said "I am in a bit of a paradox, for I have assumed that there is no good in assuming." )

It is a pleasure cruiser built on a Trawler hull, 3800 litres gives a range of about 2000 miles at 5 knots or 1000 miles at 8 knots (leaving a safety margin). Currently the two 'wing' tanks are dry and I'm just using the 1000 litre keel-tank

Ricco, you need to store fuel (gas oil) on land. As above, in drums or bulk the store may need to be 'bunded'.

As a 'private boater' I may get away with storing 2x 25l drums of diesel fuel on my boat.

As a commercial operator you are obliged to comply with the law.

Alan