Uploading pictures (and other attachments) directly into forum posts

Paul C

Featured Posts

Following on from some successful testing after recruiting a bunch of willing volunteers (see http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77067) tomorrow we are going to switch on the ability of normal members to upload pictures and other attachments directly into posts. In other words, no need to initially upload the pics to eg Photobucket or our own gallery area, its all done in the one screen/webpage.

Initially you'll only be able to post into this area: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showforum=60, this is to limit the anticipated "spike" of activity on the forum/server. After a few days, we'll change settings so everyone can post pictures, into any forum area they can post.

Notes:

- Most picture formats are supported. Also there's a few others, eg MP3, PDF etc but not video formats - for video use Youtube.

- Images can be anything up to 10MB in size uploaded, but will be resized to 1200x900 max. once on the website, this will obviously make the stored file size (and its quality) much smaller, but is fine for viewing on a computer screen.

- Also you will notice the "My Media" button in the posting control options, this allows you to post pictures from the gallery too, and re-post ones you've previously uploaded onto another thread etc.

- Attaching to posts is only a facility offered in the full site. Its not on the mobile skin - but if you can cope, or zoom in and out, you can use the ful site version on your mobile (button at bottom of page, "Full Version").

- There is a known issue with Apple devices, due to their not running Flash. There is nothing I can do about this, but if they change their minds and start using the technology everyone else on the internet uses, I'll let you know.

- You can manage the attachments (ie delete any) by going into My Settings --> Manage Attachments on your profile area (click your display name on top right of full version of site)

- Everyone is starting off with a 100MB limit, if there is massively extraordinary demand or the server grinds to a halt, we may have to revisit this but testing has revealed no issues so I'm expecting it to be okay.

- Normal copyright rules about posting content apply and are unchanged, and also picture and other uploads can & will be moderated if the content breaks the site's rules etc. Basically just use common sense.

Edited by Paul C

What does the 100MB limit refer to? Per post? Per day, week, etc?

100MB total. 10MB limit per upload.

I'd not worry about the total size limit though, because the pictures are resized once uploaded on to the site, so they don't consume much space.

If the limit becomes an issue in time we will review it.

I'd not worry about the limit though, because the pictures are resized once on the site they don't consume much space.

No worries. I always resize my pics before uploading them - to about 50KB otherwise they'd never get sent!

But another question (sorry!) - will we still be able to post pics in the present way? I find Imgur very easy to use, and how would we post pics from other sites using the direct uploading method?

No worries. I always resize my pics before uploading them - to about 50KB otherwise they'd never get sent!

But another question (sorry!) - will we still be able to post pics in the present way? I find Imgur very easy to use,

Pics can still be posted in the current way - by using a 3rd party image hosting app then copying & pasting the relevant BBCode in, or adding an image then supplying the "direct link" to it. But There's no need to!

and how would we post pics from other sites using the direct uploading method?

This misses the point - this isn't about posting pics from other sites. Its about posting, directly onto our forum/website/server, pictures from your own laptop or phone. In other words, no other sites involved. This means we (well, the web server) stores the picture and "serves" it, and it also means what was a process involving many steps (uploading to another site, copying some code, pasting it, etc) now becomes a single step (upload to our site straight into the post).

Following on from some successful testing after recruiting a bunch of willing volunteers (see http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77067) tomorrow we are going to switch on the ability of normal members to upload pictures and other attachments directly into posts. In other words, no need to initially upload the pics to eg Photobucket or our own gallery area, its all done in the one screen/webpage.

Initially you'll only be able to post into this area: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showforum=60, this is to limit the anticipated "spike" of activity on the forum/server. After a few days, we'll change settings so everyone can post pictures, into any forum area they can post.

Notes:

- Attaching to posts is only a facility offered in the full site. Its not on the mobile skin - but if you can cope, or zoom in and out, you can use the ful site version on your mobile (button at bottom of page, "Full Version").

Setting User Agent to Desktop on your mobile browsers settings (if available) seems to achieve the same.

I found the Attach File option available and allowing upload in the test area on my Android tablet in this mode, but only with New Topic, not when replying to existing thread.

Setting User Agent to Desktop on your mobile browsers settings (if available) seems to achieve the same.

I found the Attach File option available and allowing upload in the test area on my Android tablet in this mode, but only with New Topic, not when replying to existing thread.

That's a bit odd.

1) I can't see a test post where you've started a new topic and posted a pic

2) There are no different security permissions for uploading attachments depending on whether its the first post or a reply. There are settings which allow members to start a new topic; reply to an existing topic; or both, however. Also at the moment its only enabled in the "Development Members Area" forum for testing/load reasons - was it a reply to a topic here or somewhere else?

That's a bit odd.

1) I can't see a test post where you've started a new topic and posted a pic

2) There are no different security permissions for uploading attachments depending on whether its the first post or a reply. There are settings which allow members to start a new topic; reply to an existing topic; or both, however. Also at the moment its only enabled in the "Development Members Area" forum for testing/load reasons - was it a reply to a topic here or somewhere else?

Well I didn't actually post the uploded picture, but it was there and showed on Preview (deleted it afterwards). To fully prove it does work have now uploaded and posted a test picture successfully. Only comment was that it wouldn't accept uploaded picture alone, I had to enter some text.

Also confirmed again that the File select and Upload options only occur under New Topic in development area. Replying to an existing thread in this area with/without quote doesn't reveal them.

OS: Android v 5.0 (Lollipop) - Browser: Opera Mobile for Android

Did you press "More Reply Options" or use the quick reply box?

Thanks Paul - the More Reply Options allowed the attachment options to appear in a thread. Don't normally use option this hence query.

BTW its not just Apple based mobiles that suffer from lack of flash support, the last three versions of Android have no support either. There are workarounds involving different browsers but like you, am amazed this important feature seems overlooked.

Edited by by'eck

The reliance on flash for the multiple file upload capability is unfortunate given the agressive shift away from it, but that's what the current software uses.

V4 is now released and I understand this uses a nonflash setup, once the intial bugs are ironed out we will look to update to the latest version.

Daniel

... like you, am amazed this important feature seems overlooked.