Printing Onto Tarp - And a bureaucratic question.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Hi (again)

When the boat gets stretched and we have the triangular tarp top I want to make the front section look a bit like a working boat. Just because I can. - if anything to be alittle different!

So I wanted to print white lettering onto the tarpaulin. I have access to a laser cutter but am thinking that a stencil is going to be problematic. I wanted a whitewashed look so spray painting wont really make it look right? Painting through a stencil is likely to drip underneath.

I was thinking about laser cutting cork and making a kind of stamp? Any other ways to do it that are more authentic?

Secondly my bureaucratic question which to me sounds really stupid but I have experienced this kind of idiotic red tape before. This is what I want:

10559930_1051103008247553_59429607666706

I can imagine doing this then being told you can't put the 'company bit' if you are not a company and CRT saying that you can't say you are a working boat without a trade licence even if you are not trading.

Yes - i feel stupid for even asking but I hope you see where I am coming from!

Cheers

Doodlebug

The two easiest ways would be

Either get a screen printer to make a screen and then the image can be applied as many times as you want.

Or have the negative of you image cut in vinyl stick this onto the canvas then sponge paint (to give that old effect) or spray paint,

The vinyl solution shouldn't be to hard to get and any sign makers should be able to supply it from your image.

Edited by BenC

The word company doesn't have to mean a corporate body - it means a group of people, a good example being where it is used to describe the members of a theatrical production. At most you might consider dropping the capital c.

And if I may be so bold, drop the hashtag!

The licence definition is driven by whether or not you operate (or at least attempt to) for profit.

Any number of companies supply and print lorry tarps cut to size.

Thanks - I hadn't considered screen printing and I could probably get one made up at school (where I work)

The hashtag is for the licence number - I thought in the days before twitter it meant number. Would 'No' be better

Thanks for pointing out a company can be people - I also asked because you cant say LTD unless you are a company. So wondered how far that extends.

Using 'Company' (with or without the capital) doesn't mean you have any limited liability (because you are unincorporated) so there is no legal problem at all. To echo another, consider not using the American 'number sign' or hash symbol - it's pretty obvious that what follows it is in fact a number!

ETA: - yes, 'Ltd' means you have a limited liability (in law) and have to file audited accounts. 'Plc' means you are a public limited company, with a share capital and more rules to comply with (for very good reason!).

'LLP' means you are a limited liability partnership such as a firm of solicitors.

All EU countries have similar (harmonised) legal entities (think GmbH or AG in Germany, BV in Netherlands, etc)

If you are an unincorporated partnership or a sole trader, that just means that your personal assets are those of the firm and vice versa. If you are not actually trading (taking money in exchange for goods or services) it matters not in the slightest.

A 'company' is often limited (in some way) but a 'firm' may or may not be (usually not) but either way, the important bit is the incorporation.

(I've been a partner in an unincorporated firm for 26 years, that's how I know!)

Edited by Machpoint005

Pretty much echoing what others have said:

Ltd and plc can only be used by properly registered companies.

Co is basically a free-for-all; the worst that can happen is you might in theory get a letter from CRT about a trading licence, or HMRC about tax, and they should go away when you write back to say it's just decorative and you're not really trading.

It is of course possible that you'll get the occasional enquiry from someone who really wants something carried along a canal, and if so you mustn't blame them for asking; you either need to do it for free, or become a trader and do the paperwork, or politely decline.

Haha some good answers :) Like it.

I think I will go with the No and use a vinyl cutter and some low tack tape to transfer it over. Because then I can use the sponge and some cream coloured paint to give it a more weathered look.

I'm also at a school and have used the vinyl method, cut in Technology dept, worth an ask?

Good luck with it

Yeap i'm a DT teacher :) You can probably tell from most of my posts!

Fill an old jam jar with canal water and keep it on the boat somewhere. Then you can say you are canal carrying...

I don't think that that's a good idea, there is already a real lack of water in the canals, and with an old jam jar filled with canal water you may scrape over the bottom.

Of course when you're seriously aground you can throw the water back in the canal and be afloat again wink.png

Peter.

Fill an old jam jar with canal water and keep it on the boat somewhere. Then you can say you are canal carrying...

It would cause you problems with enforcement. Staying by the same part of the canal for more than 14 days.

Unless you change the water every 14 days?

Hi (again)

10559930_1051103008247553_59429607666706

Cheers

Doodlebug

I think the effect should be pretty good. You are looking for DIY ways to do the job. In which case, it would be best to get some swatches of the taup material to experiment on. Alternatively, before the cover is made up, it would be possible to have two sections sent to a screen printer and then given back to the cover makers to use in the job.

One thing that might be a problem, when using vinyl stencils is, that whatever you choose to paint with could bleed around the edges or into the narrow lines between the drop shadow. Painting products you try out could leach and not weather very well, streaking with time, down the fabric. Experiment on some scrap pieces and speak to a screen printer that deals with fabric printing. Hope it works out ok.

Edited by Higgs

It would cause you problems with enforcement. Staying by the same part of the canal for more than 14 days.

Unless you change the water every 14 days?

Brilliant! There's a slight flow on the canals, so applying Einstein's theory of relativity, no one has to move anywhere, they just let the canal move slowly past them...

Brilliant! There's a slight flow on the canals, so applying Einstein's theory of relativity, no one has to move anywhere, they just let the canal move slowly past them...

Less technical but rather than using Einstein to allow the canal to move why not point out that the water does actually flow therefore you are technically always floating in a different part of the canal.

Plus the world spins too :)

smiley_offtopic.gif