Naughty-Cal's Fenland Foray

Featured Posts

Stranded in the channel, or stranded not quite in the channel?

Anyway, your photos are great and I must try harder on our next trip to remember to take more, especially now it's so easy to post them.

Across the channel were the lockies words!

We couldn't see, we were milling around midstream waiting for the lock we were 20 minutes late for already.

Thanks for all the pictures - my plans this year (and probably next year) are set but you have rekindled the desire to get Juno over there

Stranded in the channel, or stranded not quite in the channel?

Anyway, your photos are great and I must try harder on our next trip to remember to take more, especially now it's so easy to post them.

Have I missed something? The tedious process to post pictures is one reason I haven't posted as much recently

Have I missed something? The tedious process to post pictures is one reason I haven't posted as much recently

It would seem so, yes. You can now post pictures directly into CWDF which hosts them - no need for Flickr, Photobucket etc. Click "more reply options" to see the interface.

It would seem so, yes. You can now post pictures directly into CWDF which hosts them - no need for Flickr, Photobucket etc. Click "more reply options" to see the interface.

But you still can't do that on the mobile version which is what we use when we are away.

Thanks for all the pictures - my plans this year (and probably next year) are set but you have rekindled the desire to get Juno over there

It's a lovely river system. We will certainly be back but as with you we have plans to revisit the Broads next year and then in 2017 we are heading to the Caledonian Canal, on a trailer!

But you still can't do that on the mobile version which is what we use when we are away.

True, however you don't have to use the mobile version. If I am going to look at the forum on my iPhone I always select "full version" and just zoom it (or put my glasses on!).

We had a cold, wet and miserable start to the day as we left Kings Lynn yesterday morning at 6.20am.

DSC_0464.jpg

We suffered problems with a sudden loss of power on our way out of the Lynn channel which slowed us right down to six knots. That coupled with the choppy conditions meant we missed our tidal window into Boston and had to anchor up to wait for the next tide.

Given our mechanical issues slowing us down we didn't use our usual spot at Charlie Buoy and headed further into the channel at Black Buoy instead. Nice spot but shallow and we very nearly dried out with just one foot below us at low water.

DSC_0478.jpg

DSC_0491.jpg

DSC_0496.jpg

DSC_0502_2.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0514_2.jpg

DSC_0527.jpg

With the boat back on the Witham we changed the fuel filters which were clean and cleaned the air filter which was not. We managed a quick run back out to test all was well and she jumped up onto the plane no problem. Something is amiss though as we found oil in the air filter and air box which we have never found before so further investigation required when we get back to the marina.

We suspect something has gone amiss with the turbo given how we lost power and the oil in the air box.

The engine is running fine a TV speeds not requiring the turbo with no smoke or odd noise etc.

Will whip it off when we get back and take a look.

Although it seemed to be working fine when we took it out for a quick blast after changing the filters so who knows?

It's not such a big problem. We are having the boat out for a few months this winter again anyway as we have a long list of improvements we want to carry out. Will just fit it in around that.

Our remaining planned cruises for this year are all inland anyway so not much call for the turbo. We will just keep cleaning the air box and filter until then and keep an eye on the oil level.

We know where we can get the turbo reconditioned for £150 so it wont be an expensive job. The tricky bit will be gaining access too it in our engine bay.

Could well be an engine out job to get at it!

In which case we may as well do a few other difficult to reach jobs whilst it's out.

STOP IT!!!

I'll never get round to the Great Ouse if distractions keep coming up!

The Caledonian Canal is one that Liam has wanted to do for a while.

We plan to have a week on the canal and then a week on the west coast around the Oban area before being picked up again and brought back.

The Caledonian Canal is one that Liam has wanted to do for a while.

We plan to have a week on the canal and then a week on the west coast around the Oban area before being picked up again and brought back.

You are not helping smile.png

Juno needs to be put through her paces, probably end to end on the Thames next summer, and then I'll work out what next.

This summer is getting Lutine Bell down here so I can live on her

Nice starter, what did you have for the main course?

We had a sharing platter for starters which was far too big so in the end we didn't do justice to our mains.

I had that cajun chicken as it was allegedly a lighter option!

The sharing platter for two apparently!

FB_IMG_1437146263829.jpg

Yesterday we had a steady run up river to Kirkstead Bridge where we stopped for a bite to eat and a walk into Woodhall Spa to do a spot of shopping and grab a couple of beers in The Mall before heading back to the boat and continuing further upstream to Bardney Village for a bbq.

DSC_0550_1.jpg

DSC_0551.jpg

DSC_0546.jpg

Hmmm, looks like great gliding weather (middle pic), mean time I'm stuck at the gliding club where it's +12, dark 8/8ths cloud and blowing a hooly!

It was very windy yesterday.

After a brief walk around Bardney yesterday we set off upstream once more and through our first lock for a while before cruising towards Washingborough where we met up with some friends for dinner in The Ferry Boat which we would highly recommend.

DSC_0556.jpg

DSC_0558.jpg

DSC_0561.jpg

A few pictures from the final leg of our trip from Washingborough to Burton Waters.

DSC_0565_1.jpg

DSC_0569_1.jpg

DSC_0570.jpg

DSC_0573_1.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

Back to reality this morning as we are back to work. Naughty-Cal is shut down for a few days until we can get back up on evening after work to fit the new battery charger.