Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Loddon

XH558 flypast

Featured Posts

It will be sad to see such a magificent aircraft grounded. Anyone know where it will end up? I guess some museum would love to exhibit the last airworthy one. It wouldn't be scrapped, surely.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

If you are on your boat look out towards Bovingdon between 1330 and 1400 weather permitting, not sure if the trees will block your view but its clear where we moor.

Thanks for that, unfortunately with the trees opposite, low cloud & crap hearing, I reckon I've missed it. Oh well, as we used to say "stuff a stoat!".

It will be sad to see such a magificent aircraft grounded. Anyone know where it will end up? I guess some museum would love to exhibit the last airworthy one. I wouldn't be scrapped, surely.

Ken

Will probably be an exhibition display - I understand there is a display Vulcan cockpit (access is possible) in a new small museum at Staverton (Glos).

Hendon has a Vulcan on display, truly an awe inspiring 'plane.

L

Will probably be an exhibition display - I understand there is a display Vulcan cockpit (access is possible) in a new small museum at Staverton (Glos).

Hendon has a Vulcan on display, truly an awe inspiring 'plane.

L

I hope it receives better treatment than the sad looking Concorde sat gathering dust and slime at Bristol Filton which isn't even an operational airfield any more.

I hope it receives better treatment than the sad looking Concorde sat gathering dust and slime at Bristol Filton which isn't even an operational airfield any more.

I believe that another one survives at Duxford in Cambridgeshire, but I'm not sure if it's airworthy.

I believe there is a privately owned one in Lincolnshire somewhere, that can do "taxi" runs but is not airworthy. Yet

Edited by Loddon

Grew up near Farnborough, so was lucky to see many many flying marvels through the late 50's and into the 60's. Those were the days when they still occasionaly broke the Sound barrier at displays.

Well remember the Vulcan testbed for the Concorde engines.

We saw it yesterday when it flew over Barton on its way to Woodford where they were built. It flew low over Urmston and banked steeply and quickly showing its delta profile beautifully. I thought they would treat it much more gently than that! What surprised me was how quiet it was. When we heard it was going to fly over we thought we would hear it before we saw it, remembering displays at Woodford in the early 70s, when they would come in low along the line of the runway and then climb almost vertically, with a deafening roar.

I believe that another one survives at Duxford in Cambridgeshire, but I'm not sure if it's airworthy.

Yes, there is one on display there in the main hanger. You can walk under it it has its bomb doors open and the last time I was there its engines were removed and alongside on trestles on display.

Once upon a time in the early 1980's I was sailing in a dinghy race off the Crouch estuary when the one that was kept at Southend airport at the time, which is just over the way from the river Crunch at Rochford took off at a very steep angle accompanied by that incredible howl, most of the dinghies lost control while watching it.

Here is the missing ''O'' from Crunch.

Edited by bizzard

I believe there is a privately owned one in Lincolnshire somewhere, that can do "taxi" runs but is not airworthy. Yet

Hi,

Isn't that a Lancaster?.

Memory jogged, you are right and my age is confusing me.....

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/

Hopefully 'Just Jane' will get a C of A soon.

Shame about the Vulcan running out of hours though - the RAF have a strange attitude to preserving planes (other than the BMF).

The Concorde at Duxford is one of the first prototypes with lots of testing equipment inside, quite well preserved now it's undercover.

Anyone who hasn't been to Duxford, it's well worth a visit, the USAF display building has to be the tops for aircraft presentation.

L.

It will be sad to see such a magificent aircraft grounded. Anyone know where it will end up? I guess some museum would love to exhibit the last airworthy one. It wouldn't be scrapped, surely.

Ken

Its going to end up in Yorkshire so my friend Chris told me Doncaster airport to be exact, Which of course used to be Finnningley where I remember seeing the Vulcan when I was young, its going to either in an existing hanger or one built for it. Once upon a time they used to employ a small thin man to inspect the insides of all the wings on Vulcans when airframe inspection time came up Chris has a friend who is heavily with the Vulcan

Peter

Its going to end up in Yorkshire so my friend Chris told me Doncaster airport to be exact, Which of course used to be Finnningley where I remember seeing the Vulcan when I was young, its going to either in an existing hanger or one built for it. Once upon a time they used to employ a small thin man to inspect the insides of all the wings on Vulcans when airframe inspection time came up Chris has a friend who is heavily with the Vulcan

Peter

Thanks Peter. That would seem to be a very fitting outcome if it cannot continue to fly. Sad to see it finish its flying days though, especially after all the hard work in getting it back into the air again.

Ken

I knew nothing of this, so was mightily surprised when it flew very low over our home mooring in Weedon, Northants.

Unfortunately not quick enough for a camera.

So Doncaster Airport is the former RAF Finningley? I remember my Dad taking me there when I was quite small, I think it must have been a Battle of Britain anniversary or similar.

Shame about the Vulcan running out of hours though - the RAF have a strange attitude to preserving planes (other than the BMF).

L.

It's not owned by the RAF, these people run it.

I think it's a charity

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

It's not owned by the RAF, these people run it.

I think it's a charity

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

I agree, but the RAF originally sell the plane and are fairly unhelpful with the supply of spares etc after the sale.

I recall a Pembroke my pal successfully bid for at auction, and engine was damaged by him on starting, the RAF had spares, including a new engine which they put up for auction - he missed it and had to buy it from a third party who make an obscene profit on it - if only the RAF had sold it to him direct we he contatced them!.

I see a Vulcan on a recent flight 'photo bombed' a wedding at a register office - some picture.

L

Sign in to follow this